Cameras on scrapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameras on scrapes

I recently did some scouting on some public land. Found two buck beds adjacent to a large doe bedding area. The two buck beds had trails running through them each that both circled around to a pond, out to a large white oak, past 3 scrapes and back to each other. I set cameras up on the scrapes. Won’t check cameras for about 3 weeks so I’m not pushing that envelope too hard. My question is this, from halls experience could this be one buck using two bedding areas for different wind, or two different bucks. If it’s one then I can calculate where he’ll be from the wind if it’s two than could be a little trickier. Thanks

How recent was your scouting done?

Comment

If its a good bed, any mature buck will bed there for the same reasons. It could be multiple bucks bedding there on different days, winds, and seasons. The only way to know for sure is to run a camera on it or to wait and hunt it and find out.

Comment

Scrapes, this time of the year?

Comment

You talking about old rubs. No scrapes this time of year

Comment

There is such thing as primary scrapes that are perennial and get hit year round guys.. at least the licking branches where they communicate. I have cameras on several and continue to get pictures myself. I have a buck i am watching, he is missing part of his right ear at the tip, I know its him even after he dropped his antlers.
            Last edited by firemedic731; 06-30-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Cameras on scrapes

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
              There is such thing as primary scrapes that are perennial and get hit year round guys.. at least the licking branches where they communicate. I have cameras on several and continue to get pictures myself. I have a buck i am watching, he is missing part of his right ear at the tip, I know its him even after he dropped his antlers.

I guess anything is possible. I am no expert, just never have seen a scrape, other than during hunting season, in past 50-years of deer hunting.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Learn something new every day. I'm moving one of my game cams to a old rub and old scrape and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                  I guess anything is possible. I am no expert, just never have seen a scrape, other than during hunting season, in past 50-years of deer hunting.

From my Make Believe World
                  They aren’t prolific like just before the rut, but you can find a srape almost any time of the year. Most I’ve seen were accidental when doing something else besides deer hunting.

Comment

In our HF place w/ high deer densities, the majority of the scrapes I see are in high traffic deer areas. Near protein or corn feeders, or on the edge of food plots.

Soon after they shed out of velvet (early October for us), we start to see ground scraping, and worked branches, but I have never seen anything other than deer tracks this time of year.

Comment

Yes these are historic scrapes. No I’m not talking about old rubs. they’re not being used now I know but they are definetly scrapes and they’re on a main trail between two bedding areas. I know what scrapes are and when they are used. You can find an old scrape in the summer especially one that is made every fall historically on the same spot for years and years

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                        How recent was your scouting done?
                        4 days ago

Comment

Anyways, the question was regarding two bucks are bedding adjacent each other or has anyone ever seen a buck utilize two beds(possible for different season or possibly depending on wind direction) I have set cameras up but I won’t be checking them for awhile so as to not blow the entire place up, if I haven’t already.

Comment

I do know for a fact that bucks will use a scrape year after year. And some rubs year after year on the same tree until the tree dies or is gone. I know that several bucks may use the same old rub, as well as share scrapes. I know where some are on public land that I check every year. And the bucks always freshen the scrapes when the ruts about to start. Now as to the "off season", I haven't ever seen a rut freshened, unless it was by a doe that never conceived. And by "off season" I mean when a buck's antlers fall "off" .

Comment

ETxArrow, you need to put a few cams out where you think there may be buck(s). It could be a buck or doe that beds in one spot. Most have a few spots they bed in for varying reason. And I can't say I can tell a buck bedded in a spot vs a doe bedding in that same spot. Bucks will begin to hag together as their antlers grow. So, if you found a spot that had several beds in it, it could be a group of bucks hanging together vs a group of does or does with fawns. Best way to find out is with cams.

Just make sure putting a cam up is legal you your hunting area. Not all public lands allow such. There are several types of public lands in Texas most folk don't know about. And perceive that all public lands are the same and have the same rules. It depends on the entity that is running the program as to what the rules are for each place. Some entities have blanket rules. Some for particular units.

Good luck on your search for Mr. Whitetail.

Comment

Working...
                              X