Pool pump keeps tripping the GFCI...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when I get the pool chemicals all balanced and the water looks great.....the pump starts acting up. This is an above ground pool. Turned it off to clean the filter basket out. After cleaning the filter, I plugged it back in to start it and it keeps tripping the GFCI breaker dedicated for the pump. The on/off toggle switch broke off so I either have to unplug it at the outlet or unplug it at the timer.

I'm going to order another toggle switch, but I think I have other issues as well. Any ideas?

Probably the gfci. Run an extension cord over there and see what happens.

Comment

Ours was doing that. See what else is on the circuit. Turns out our garage and porch plugs are on the same and fridge was doing it along with the pump. I ran a dedicated fridge plug.

Comment

I replaced an air pump on our hot tub for same issue, intermittently tripping the GFCI. Pump or motor issues?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          Probably the gfci. Run an extension cord over there and see what happens.
          I did that and it tripped that GFCI as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            Ours was doing that. See what else is on the circuit. Turns out our garage and porch plugs are on the same and fridge was doing it along with the pump. I ran a dedicated fridge plug.
            It was running just fine until I unplugged it, worked on it, and plugged it back in. I think it's already on its own designated circuit.

Comment

Could be the cord.. Make sure that you are using at least a 10 gauge minimum cord

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                Could be the cord.. Make sure that you are using at least a 10 gauge minimum cord
                It was working fine until yesterday afternoon.

Comment

Check any loose connections at plug interface

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    I did that and it tripped that GFCI as well.

I mean bring a cord from another receptacle that isn’t a GFCI plug. If it still trips then you got a problem. I’ve got a gfci plug I need to replace, it just trips for no reason no matter what you put on it.

Comment

GFCI receptacles measure, or sense, the difference in current between the hot and neutrals in the circuit. Very sensitive to difference and will trip as low as 4 or 5 milliamps. The pump could be wearing out, but doubtful if it was working OK before. Try it on a not GFCI circuit and see how it starts and runs. Do NOT run it off that circuit for regular use. Sometimes it is just because they are older and start wearing out, sometimes you can just "exercise" them a few times by tripping and resetting. If the box they are in is wet at all, that is certainly a cause and you can dry out with a hair dryer, or hot air gun. Exterior boxes that aren't sealed tight get dust in them on all the metal surfaces and in high-humidity (like Texas) they will provide a path thru the dirt. Open the breaker that feeds it, clean everything really good, check tightness of connections. If its been in for more than 5 years, I would just spend the $20 and replace with a new one.

Comment

Rule out the gfci plug first. If the plug is indeed good it could be the start capacitor on the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                          GFCI receptacles measure, or sense, the difference in current between the hot and neutrals in the circuit. Very sensitive to difference and will trip as low as 4 or 5 milliamps. The pump could be wearing out, but doubtful if it was working OK before. Try it on a not GFCI circuit and see how it starts and runs. Do NOT run it off that circuit for regular use. Sometimes it is just because they are older and start wearing out, sometimes you can just "exercise" them a few times by tripping and resetting. If the box they are in is wet at all, that is certainly a cause and you can dry out with a hair dryer, or hot air gun. Exterior boxes that aren't sealed tight get dust in them on all the metal surfaces and in high-humidity (like Texas) they will provide a path thru the dirt. Open the breaker that feeds it, clean everything really good, check tightness of connections. If its been in for more than 5 years, I would just spend the $20 and replace with a new one.
                          I'll try that when I get home. The pump has its own dedicated GFCI plug as afar as I can tell. The pump is about 50 feet form the house, maybe more and the receptacle is in a closed box. I thought I may have gotten the plug wet and stuck it in the receptacle, but I guess not because I plugged it in this morning and it didn't work. Thanks for the information!

Comment

GFCI devices are electronic. It is around water, temp changes, and chemical vapors all the time. These things do go bad. Simple fix change out the outlet. Make sure the power is off. Because the outlet is tripped, it does not mean the circuit is dead. It just means there is no power exiting the device.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                              I plugged it into a non GFCI plug and it cranked up and worked just fine. Unplugged it and went back and tried the GFCI plug and it worked as well. Put the timer back on it and its working fine now. I'm guessing the receptacle got wet and it took awhile to dry out.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X