Anyone with experience OTC in OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with experience OTC in OK?

The process for non-resident OTC Whitetail looks pretty straightforward in Oklahoma.

The way I interpret it, you choose the method of take for the specific season/tag you want, and if it's a NR Archery you can hunt Oct. 1 - Jan 15th.

Some of the WMA's are Archery only, so that's a plus I think.

For those of you who have done this, do you have to check in each time you enter the WMA property? Is there a limit to the number of hunters allowed at one time (assuming it is NOT during one of their "Controlled Hunts" on a property)?

I'm looking at the Western third of the State, more glass, spot, stalk type hunting. Any advice, maybe Sandy Sanders or Black Kettle WMA's? Chances of seeing multiple deer each day, or will I be going days just trying to find them late October or early November?

This will be my first out-of-state trip, I would prefer to have an opportunity at something (buck or doe) and will not be too picky.

Thanks,
    HWR
    Last edited by HWR; 06-30-2020, 08:20 PM.

I hunted OK for the first time this spring for turkey. The WMA's I went to was just show up and hunt. No check in. I even camped out there.
    Don't know anything about the deer season, but willing to bet, you will encounter a few other hunters.

Comment

You are correct in your interpretation of the licenses. You have to buy a separate license for each hunting method(archery, gun, muzzleloader) but if you're doing archery you can hunt all season long.

I'm considering doing a similar type of hunt in Western OK this year too if I don't draw anything in the TX draw hunts which is pretty likely. I hunted a small lease in south central OK 2 years ago so that is my only experience hunting OK.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

For NR archery, you get 6 whitetail tags for the entire season. I’m not a 100% sure in how many rifle tags you get as I never really looked into those. Western Oklahoma has some big big deer but are less dense in the hills than the deer are in eastern Oklahoma. There’s some good public land in the north and western areas as well as south and East. Western Oklahoma you are right, spot and stalk and hunting trails and streams. Not much for trees out that way. Rolling hills and valleys and some very pretty country. I lived in OKC for a while and would venture out west often for work and saw some good whitetail, mule deer, and pronghorn. Going east towards McElester area I saw deer but it was very thick brushy country.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. If anyone hunts Western OK, or even the TX Panhandle near OK I’d appreciate your input on hunting style/strategy for those deer.

Thanks

HWR

Comment

You interpreted the licenses correctly. Most WMA's are archery only but do make sure and check regulation's for the ones you are looking at as they also do a controlled rifle and muzzleloader hunt on a lot of them. So those one or two weekends the WMA's won't be open to archery hunting. I haven't ever hunted out in the western part of the state as I usually hunt central and eastern Oklahoma so I would be useless for info on the best way to hunt out there. I do know Sandy Sanders and Black Kettle both have good reputations for good deer. Someday I need to venture out west to hunt those WMA's too.

Comment

HWR

Check your PM

Comment

Working...
                X