Hommade Adapter For J. Hill Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hommade Adapter For J. Hill Broadheads

"OLD" Jerry Hill, and I have known each other for quite the number of years now.
    To say, that we hit it off (right off) would be an under statement.
    I love him like the older Brother I never had.
    There's only one other I've ever felt like that about, and he passed away a few years ago.

Anyways, Jerry builds, and markets a very good stainless steel two blade broadhead,
    that is built on the "Howard Hill" style with some modifications/improvements.

I was disappointed (as I'm sure Jerry was too), that with the energy my new bow delivers,
    I was unable to use Jerry's broadhead (at 190 grains) to shoot from it.
    My arrow shafts of choice (Widowmaker Smash .300's) were just to weak in spine for them.
    I had a hard time getting them to tune with my broadhead weight of choice (175 grain).

Then, I found out, that Jerry also markets a "Barbed" broadhead, that is identical in every way
    to his standard broadhead, except for the barbed part, and weighs a little less.

I've also recently found out, that Texas no longer disallows barbed broadhead,
    and the light bulb went on in my head.

My 175gr heads with the outsert weigh 220 grains.

I barbed one of Jerry's broadheads, only taking off the parts from the end of each blade edge to the ferrule.
    Unfortunately, that only took off 8 grains, so still heavier than 175gr.

So then, I set out to try to design a glue on adapter that would meet the bill in cutting down from the weight of the
    stock outsert combined with a screw point adapter, which weighs 85gr in their combination.

This is the nock end of a 1916 aluminum arrow shaft, that fits perfectly over my Widowmaker carbons.
    That gives me a good tapper to center it into the top end of the broadhead ferrule.

This is a piece of 2117, that fits perfectly over the 1916, and is knurled to fit into the back of the ferrule.
    This is to fill the gap left by the 1916, and align the broadhead correctly.

Close enough for the girls I go with. :-)

My arrows with the 175gr head average 606gr, ranging from 605.7 to 607.2
    This broadhead rig on them fit right into the mix.

I glued it all up with Orange Label Gorilla Glue. That's the expansion type, that is basically the same thing
    as Bohning Insert Iron.

After letting the glue cure overnight, it's now time to see if it works, or if I have to go back to the drawing board.

This was repeated over, and over from 20 yards, with only one flier (which was me).
    That's one arrow with a VPA 175gr 3-blade, and Jerry's now newly barbed Broadhead.

Now all sharpened up, and in the quiver ready to rock. I intend (at the very least) for my first bow kill
    with this new bow setup, to be with Jerry's broadhead. Now I just got to get out there, and get it done.
    The only thing I don't like about it is, it's hell on the broadhead target when you pull them.

I'll be building a few more like this sometime soon.

Rick

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but this has shown me a way to stiffen up my arrows, without having to jump through a bunch of mud puddles to do it. All I need to do is put a short footing of 1916 on behind those stock outserts.

That'll be a project for when I get my new BWC limbs, if it needs to be done (which I suspect).

Rick

Comment

Working...
    X