French Press Coffee Drinkers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
    French press got us through the freeze!!!!
    This…My first introduction to a French Press was on an island off of the coast of Honduras. We were staying at a friends house on the island and that was the way they made coffee. It was as good as any other way I had coffee before. After that trip, my wife bought me one sorta as a gag gift. I put it in the closet and pretty much forgot about it. Fast forward to the big freeze when we were without power for 52 hours, I thought of the French press, dug it out of the closet, boiled some water on the propane cooktop and we were off to the races.

Comment

It is a splendid way to experience the full body of the bean. Your pallet will immediately be fully engaged with the full robust flavor and aroma! Best enjoyed while listening to anything by Elton John.
      Last edited by sharkhunter; 09-08-2022, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I like French press. To me the extra effort is in the cleanup, washing the grinds out of an off of the press. I have a double walled stainless steel press that doesn’t cool as fast as glass.

I’m very intrigued by a traditional Costa Rican chorreador for making coffee
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DEE5BBF3-8B05-4716-8564-2F7D3417076B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	24692192

Comment

I use French press, takes up less space, plus you can always boil water, can’t always power up a drip coffee maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            It does make a great Cup of coffee. That being said, I drink 3/4 a pot of coffee every morning and it’s a royal PITA with a French press. I don’t miss it.
            You need a bigger French Press and a thermos or carafe to keep it hot.

My French Press makes 1 cup at a time and I really really enjoy my coffee made with it on the weekends. If I'm expecting more than 1 person, I often make it French Press - Cowboy style.

I'll use a 12 cup blue camp style coffee pot,
            • put water in up to just below the bottom pour hole,
            • heat the water until just when bubbles start to appear,
            • add 1/2 cup of coffee grinds, bring to a rolling boil. (watch the coffee acid foam off)
            • Boil for 4 minutes.
            • Then take ice cold water and pour slowly in the spout and around the edges and some in the middle. The cold water will push the grinds down to the bottom.
            • Slowly pour a cup. There won't be any grinds or very few grinds in your cup.
            (If I'm worried about grinds, then I'll use a cup sized metal strainer or cheesecloth. It is some of the best coffee I've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

My French Press makes 1 cup at a time and I really really enjoy my coffee made with it on the weekends. If I'm expecting more than 1 person, I often make it French Press - Cowboy style.

• add 1/2 cup of coffee grinds, bring to a rolling boil. (watch the coffee acid foam off)
              • Boil for 4 minutes.
              • Then take ice cold water and pour slowly in the spout and around the edges and some in the middle. The cold water will push the grinds down to the bottom.

(If I'm worried about grinds, then I'll use a cup sized metal strainer or cheesecloth. It is some of the best coffee I've ever had.

Well, if THAT's "French Press" coffee, I'm all in! Been makin' "boiled coffee" for over 60 years... didn't know I was makin' such fancy coffee!! Several years ago, I got a little glass straight-sided beaker looking thing with a plunger/filter that fit on top of it... after makin' the coffee like posted above, I pour it into that little glass pot and press the filter down slowly to separate the coffee from the grounds...

Yes, it's more of a PITA, but it sure makes a good cup of coffee... Sadly though, just about every morning, it's just a Kurig cup or two in my 20 ounce RTIC thermal cup and off to the office I go!!!

Comment

I make one press full every two days. I drink half one day then half the next. The second day is microwaved and never tastes as good as the first day.

Consider blooming the fresh ground coffee to oxidize and release co2 and other gases/aromatics within the bean. Essentially moistening the grounds with warm water and letting sit for a minute or so before adding the rest of the water. Take a deep whiff. Blooming allows the fresh ground beans to express full flavor and beneficial chemicals before drowning/steeping in water and pressing. Or some chit.

Coffee beans lose alot of antioxidants and other good chemicals after grinding. So….grinding should be done as close to blooming amd steeping as possible.

Upside: Its almost impossible to burn french press coffee since there is no burner.
                Downside: Glass press caraffes break easily

Ive been meaning to buy a metal camp press/kettle pot all-in-one that goes directly to the fire or heat source.

Good slurping MrBrunner

Comment

Makes an awesome cup.

Comment

Grind a little coarser. I enjoy a press but prefer pour over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Riley View Post
                      I use an AeroPress and thoroughly enjoy it! https://aeropress.com/

I also do pour over sometimes, with the simple little plastic thing you put over a cup.
                      We were at a fishing cabin a few weeks ago and one of my buddies is a coffee guru. He is an early riser and made the coffee every morning. If you have time, the aero and pour over, with fresh hand ground beans is a game changer. He would also heat the half and half before going into the coffee. Best coffee I've ever had. That with breakfast taco, followed up with a Hemingway Short story cigar for breakfast makes me wonder why I didn't just stay there forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

• Boil for 4 minutes.
                        I’ll try it! Thanks

Comment

I dont have one....but I have had coffee from them and they do make a great coffee

Comment

I’m a coffee snob, I’ll admit it! I have a drip maker, 2 French presses, a pour over and a K cup machine. I love a press or pour over, but I typically only do that on the weekend due to time. Try a press…guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Well, if THAT's "French Press" coffee, I'm all in! Been makin' "boiled coffee" for over 60 years... didn't know I was makin' such fancy coffee!! Several years ago, I got a little glass straight-sided beaker looking thing with a plunger/filter that fit on top of it... after makin' the coffee like posted above, I pour it into that little glass pot and press the filter down slowly to separate the coffee from the grounds...

Yes, it's more of a PITA, but it sure makes a good cup of coffee... Sadly though, just about every morning, it's just a Kurig cup or two in my 20 ounce RTIC thermal cup and off to the office I go!!!
                              That's cowboy coffee!

Comment

I use the below and it will keep hot all day in the carafe. Boil water, pour over coffee in french press put top on and let steep three minutes. Press coffee and pour in carafe.

Frieling Double-Walled Stainless-Steel French Press Coffee Maker, Polished, 44 Ounces

Emsa Eleganza Stainless Steel Insulated Carafe, 44-Ounce

Comment

Working...
                                X