No announcement yet.

The Fat G Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tell you what, I have followed your thread since day one and I admire your diligence and patience! You are experiencing what hunting and taking care of a place is all about... Nothin' fancy, but very resourceful and "McGuyver-like"!! Congratulations on a great place and for being able to document the chronicles here!
    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      I tell you what, I have followed your thread since day one and I admire your diligence and patience! You are experiencing what hunting and taking care of a place is all about... Nothin' fancy, but very resourceful and "McGuyver-like"!! Congratulations on a great place and for being able to document the chronicles here!
      Thanks!

I take that as high praise. Loved “McGuyver” as a little kid. It’s what you have to do out there when it’s a 3 hour round trip drive just to go to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome thread. Surprised I'm just now seeing this.

Comment

Well done! Looks like a great place

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

You guys seem to have a lot of trouble with that Ranger out there, is it really that rough?
              My only experience with West TX hunting was a trip out to Pandale.

Y'all have a really nice place!

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                You guys seem to have a lot of trouble with that Ranger out there, is it really that rough?
                My only experience with West TX hunting was a trip out to Pandale.

Y'all have a really nice place!

It’s rough for sure, but the biggest issue is preventative maintenance. We don’t do much. There’s 4 different guys that go out there. Sometimes together, but with our kids and schedules lately it’s been primarily individual trips. Nobody wants to spend the trip fixing stuff, so it gets driven until catastrophic failure. Same thing with our generators. I harp about changing the oil in them and running them dry, but that just doesn’t seem to happen. I’m sure many of y’all have had the same experiences on leases. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the hand I’m dealt. We all share costs, so we’ll just charge it to the game and move on. It’s not worth getting pizzed off about.

Comment

Great thread. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                    It’s rough for sure, but the biggest issue is preventative maintenance. We don’t do much. There’s 4 different guys that go out there. Sometimes together, but with our kids and schedules lately it’s been primarily individual trips. Nobody wants to spend the trip fixing stuff, so it gets driven until catastrophic failure. Same thing with our generators. I harp about changing the oil in them and running them dry, but that just doesn’t seem to happen. I’m sure many of y’all have had the same experiences on leases. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the hand I’m dealt. We all share costs, so we’ll just charge it to the game and move on. It’s not worth getting pizzed off about.

IF you sir can maintain that attitude, your friends are very lucky people to have such a friend!! IF it was MY equipment they were using and tore it up, well... Let's just say that would not continue!

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                      I’m sure many of y’all have had the same experiences on leases. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the hand I’m dealt. We all share costs, so we’ll just charge it to the game and move on. It’s not worth getting pizzed off about.
                      Great attitude! I'd like to think I could handle it the same, but there's no guarantees.

I was really just wondering if maybe a vehicle (SUV or full-size truck) might be able to handle the harsher conditions out there better than a UTV. You know, with bigger, stronger axles, hubs, bearings, etc. I've never been around the UTVs long enough to know how well they hold up. That's why I asked.

Our lease has a few areas that require 4WD, but most areas don't. And it's not too rough, so I've always had 4WD SUVs that have handled the conditions just fine.

Love all the pics, and it's great to see your shared time with your son out there! Reminds me of when my daughter was that age and started hunting with me, great memories made!

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                        Great attitude! I'd like to think I could handle it the same, but there's no guarantees.

I was really just wondering if maybe a vehicle (SUV or full-size truck) might be able to handle the harsher conditions out there better than a UTV. You know, with bigger, stronger axles, hubs, bearings, etc. I've never been around the UTVs long enough to know how well they hold up. That's why I asked.

Our lease has a few areas that require 4WD, but most areas don't. And it's not too rough, so I've always had 4WD SUVs that have handled the conditions just fine.

Love all the pics, and it's great to see your shared time with your son out there! Reminds me of when my daughter was that age and started hunting with me, great memories made!

A smaller 4x4 SUV would be ideal. A/C and no dust would be a huge win. The UTV handles the rough roads better, but they’re also probably the cause of most of the issues we have. We have the F250 down there, but it’s too big for some places and a blown tire on that is a huge pain in the rear. The road to go down and out of the canyon is virtually impossible in anything other than a UTV (samurai or a jeep would make it). The road to the 110 would need a lot of work as well to make it passable comfortably. I’ll drive my personal truck through about half the ranch. The rest I won’t take it. I’m becoming a pretty solid Ranger mechanic though, lol. If I just had a parts barn, we’d be in pretty good shape.

I also just picked up an ebike on a steal of a deal. I’ll bring it out the next trip and see how it does out there as well.

We love having kids out there. My boy hates missing a trip. He was at my sister’s house in DFW this weekend. My middle is just about to the age that I’ll take her soon too. She’s WFO though unless she’s asleep. Not sure how she’ll handle being in a blind.

Comment

With all your mechanical skills I'm surprised you don't realize you are pissing in the wind with that dinky coon cage

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                            With all your mechanical skills I'm surprised you don't realize you are pissing in the wind with that dinky coon cage

100%, but thats one we found and was hanging around in the connex. Used what I had available at the time. I actually hated to put it up. It doesn’t even have an access. To change feed settings, I have to remove it. I do have a cell cam on that feeder though so I can see when they destroy it soon.

Comment

Great thread

Comment

Great thread read it in a few hours. Don’t go telling everyone how great it is out there they’ll start moving in. I hunt sound of you by the 277/377 split, bought our place last year. Definitely amazing experience and surprised at what we have to hunt and the views.

Comment

Working...
                                X