No announcement yet.

2015 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much Saturday morning, but Saturday afternoon was a good one. Lots of does and fawns in and out of the feeder and then the one pictured below shows up and taunts me for 45 minutes total. Decided to pass him as I have the big, wide 8 also in a pic below. The only thing I saw this morning was the drop tine, nothing else. Hopefully next weekend, the wide 8 will show. Over 4" of rain on our place. the drop tine buck is probably 4 1/2. He looks older in person and has a pretty good body and his neck is already swelled.
    Would you have passed on this drop knowing the wide 8 is at this feeder and another really good 9 at another feeder is around?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRMS8795.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	24411739

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRMS8300.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	24411740

Comment

That 8 is AWESOME. The drop is very cool too, but does look younger. Regardless of age, I think I'd rather have that big 8. An 8 like that is rare. I hope you get him!

Comment

Originally posted by LloydMcCoy View Post
        Thanks coach
        Not a prob guys. It's truly a life saver if you're a Web surfer.

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
        Man that's an awesome deer!!!
        If you're talking about my phone background he's my kent county buck from last year. And thanks.

Mudslinger... that's a tough choice. I like that 8. But i also have never shot or even seen a drop. I've also heard they may not grow it next year.. and may take 2-3 years before they drop again. (I have no idea if that's true). Lol. Sooooo... in your shoes.. I'm not sure what I'd do.

Comment

That's a good problem to have, I think you made the right choice. That 8 is something special.

Comment

thanks guys. I passed on the drop and believe me, he gave me every perfect shot scenario know to man last night. I do have a drop on the wall from a few years ago and if I had not seen the wide 8 on camera or the big crab claw 9 in the pics in this thread, he would have gotten shot or shot at! I know the wide 8 had been missed once by a bowhunter to the SE of us, but hopefully I get a crack at him next weekend. Both the drop and the wide 8 are showing at the same feeder.

Comment

We had a 9 last year that had a drop. He does not have it this year, he is taller and has more mass this year.

Comment

Tough choice, but I guess having a drop on the wall makes it easier. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Not much Saturday morning, but Saturday afternoon was a good one. Lots of does and fawns in and out of the feeder and then the one pictured below shows up and taunts me for 45 minutes total. Decided to pass him as I have the big, wide 8 also in a pic below. The only thing I saw this morning was the drop tine, nothing else. Hopefully next weekend, the wide 8 will show. Over 4" of rain on our place. the drop tine buck is probably 4 1/2. He looks older in person and has a pretty good body and his neck is already swelled.

Would you have passed on this drop knowing the wide 8 is at this feeder and another really good 9 at another feeder is around?

[ATTACH]751576[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]751577[/ATTACH]

Your 8 looks alot mine, yours main beams curve around a little more though

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                    Your 8 looks alot mine, yours main beams curve around a little more though
                    I agree!

Comment

Man those are some huge 8's. If you already have a drop on the wall I'd be going after that 8 too.

Comment

The drop tine 8 and wide 8 are at the same feeder! Hopefully I get a shot at him before rifle season opens. If not then I will go after the big crab claw 9 on the opposite end of our lease! The big, wide 8 may not score all that well, but there is something about his width that really makes him a keeper! Sure looks good on camera and the drop tine actually looks better in person than on camera.

Comment

I love the wide 8 points that the panhandle grows. Doug - good luck on figuring out which one to shoot. If you going to shoot the drop yesterday would have been the day. He looks to be a fighter with that broken brow. I bet he breaks that drop off shortly.

Comment

Trade ya for my wide 8. Lol

I've gotta get down and check cams.. I'll know where I'll be setting but not sure what I'll be seeing. It is getting colder.
                            Last edited by Coach W; 10-25-2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Nice bucks mudslinger!

I haven't been out in a few days. Is anyone seeing any deer? I've noticed from all the wheat fields I pass that they have been moving early. I pulled my card yesterday and have a few more bucks showing up but nothing special. Lots of rubs are starting to show up and a couple of the bucks on camera have swollen necks. Maybe the big boys will start coming in soon....in daylight!

Comment

Mudslinger and Coach W awesome bucks!

Headed to Shamrock tonight and looking forward to a few days chasing hunting for those big bodied bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X