Looking to switch over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to switch over

I’ve been thinking about trying out traditional, but I know nothing about it. Can you guys point me to some beginners threads & give me some advise? Not even sure what to start with. Recurve or long bow or even if that matters. Like I say I know nothing about. I don’t even know anyone that shoots traditional. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry stupid me just seen the stickies. [emoji2960][emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol. Yep, good info there. But a lot of good qualified help here as well.

Gary
      Last edited by DRT; 09-01-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Good luck BlackNRed.

Id suggest starting 30-40 pounds and on a longbow. Play with form. Play with anchor. Dont be afraid to change. Anchor with the shaft as close as possible to/under/inline with your shooting eye pupil line of sight as possible. Have multiple points of contact in your anchor. Have a second anchor.

Dont shoot too much for too long. Or hold for too long for too many shots. It messes with your joints, muscles and tendons due to no let off of stress.
        Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-01-2019, 11:00 PM. Reason: MultiplePointAnchorSpake

Comment

Going from a compound to traditional, it doesn't matter that you could pull 75# with a compound with a high let off, and expect to be able to pull near that same weight with a traditional bow.
          The traditional archery is different because the longer your draw, the more weight is stacking up to the end of your draw.
          You then become fatigued drawing and trying to hold and aim unless you go with a lower poundage bow, where you can both strengthen your muscles and at the same time work on perfecting your form.
          Choosing a bow weight that is close to the letoff weight you are holding with your compound would be where I would start.
          You have to then make the decision, of do I go for instinctive shooting, or aiming using the point of the arrow on the target.
          Split finger or 3 under, etc.
          It then comes down to practice, practice, and more practice.
          Probably shouldn't say it as to stir the pot, but traditional takes a lot of dedication!
          Last edited by Jimbo47; 09-02-2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

That's not stirring Jimbo. That's just fact. The time and commitment level has to increase if one wishes to be successful. The more shooting you do the sooner anchor, form, release and follow through becomes natural. A lower poundage bow gives you the ability to have the stamina to shoot 80 or 100 arrows a day and not succumb to fatigue.

Gary

Comment

There is so much let-off in compounds that finding a trad bow to match the holding weight of a modern compound will be a trick. A thirty or thirty five pound trad bow is a pretty good place to start if you have a 28" draw length. Go to the high side if you have a short draw or to the lower weight if you have a longer draw.

Comment

Working...
              X