My First STX Buck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First STX Buck!

A good buddy and myself went down South last month for our first STX hunt. It was a paid hunt hunt between Cotulla and Carrizo Springs. I am not going to name the ranch, because I had a terrible experience with them after we got our bucks down.

I had the mind to leave a full review on here, but a person at the ranch informed me differently. I was told that a man with the means of which this landowner has I might just regret it. "This is not a threat, but he has the money and attorneys to take this well beyond this for slander if you talk bad on the operation."

Long story short we agreed to a hunt under the following parameters
    -$500 a day/ 3 day minimum for lodging, two does, and two javelinas
    -$1000 kill fee for any buck harvested(I have in text and facebook messages stating we could shoot multiple bucks each at $1000 per)
    -This agreement was communicated through the Ranch's Facebook page and text messages between me and the Ranch Manager.

I know $2500 for the deer we killed is a good deal, but myself, the buddy who joined me, and another good buddy going next month all signed up for this hunt with the intentions at the chance for two bucks at a cost of $3500.

Fast forward to the hunt. We were hunting the bow only section of the ranch and there were two other hunters(friends of the owner) in the main camp hunting for high end deer.

The first morning was very slow with only does seen. My buddy and I both shot a buck on the evening of day one of the trip. My buck was recovered quickly as I all but seen him go down. My partner made a great quartering away shot that had some gut blocking the entry preventing a blood trail. Not seeing much initially we opted to take my deer to camp and go back for his after dark with ranch manger's dog.

Typically in the bow section the deer are handled at the bow hunters cabins, but the water wasn't working so they told us to bring to main camp and use their facility. When we arrived at camp with my buck one of the other hunters commented man that is a nice buck for the bow pasture.

After getting my deer in the cooler we rounded up the dog and went after my buddy's deer. The dog found him quickly as he only made it 100 yards. We then returned to camp and was met by the owner and the other hunters. We were both congratulated and got the comment, "I think this is the best day of hunting the bow pasture has ever had." My buddies deer is a 145" eight point so we also got the comment of, "Do you know what people would pay to shoot a native 145" eight point?". The landowner and other hunters went inside for dinner and as we were celebrating our deer the ranch manager said, "There is plenty of hunting left go get another!"

We went off to dinner in town and got up the next morning hoping for more action. After a slow morning sit we went back to camp to get our deer out of the coolers for photo session. While we were quartering up the deer the ranch manager completely changed the tone and asked "Hey I need to know if you want to shoot more bucks". We could all tell it was a put you on the spot rhetorical question. I said well we had really planned to and the ranch manager walked off. I was pretty confused as to why this was brought up half way through a three day hunt.

We got our deer iced down and headed to town for lunch. I reached out to the ranch manager and said yes we still want to try and get another buck if we get the chance. I then got the phone call to tell us that the landowner decided there would not be enough tags for us to get another buck because they had other hunters coming. The best part about that, is that I also have text stating that me and the buddy hunting this trip and the buddy coming back in December would be the only hunters in the bow pasture for the season because they do not like to over hunt it. I also have texts showing the biologist wants 12 bucks taken this season. I will also add the ranch manager apologized to me because they had to let one friend of the owner kill a buck before our arrival(this did not bother me, just adds to the list of deception).

The manager apologized and said it was out of their control this came from the landowner. They told us we could rebook another three days and insure us we got another tag!(This made it obvious that it was about the money, because it would make additional bucks $2500 again instead of just $1000 adds). I then asked to speak with the landowner because I can just say Im sorry when it comes time to pay for the hunt. They asked me to let them talk to the owner and get it worked out. We were instructed to go get in the blinds and they would text us.

We got settled in the blind and waited for a response. I was not getting any response and starting to see deer. I spotted a mature buck(short tined deer in the video), and said hey I need to know I have deer out here. To no surprise I wasn't getting a response. I watched that buck for forty-five minutes or so and my wife spotted a good buck coming in. I laid eyes on him and knew he was a shooter. I could not get a response so, I sent out a text stating I am about to shoot this buck like we agreed upon and y'all can take the money we agreed on or leave it. As much as I wanted to shoot the deer, I just sent that to get a response. Low and behold I get a text from the landowner telling me the Game Warden was on his way and we needed to gather our things and leave! I replied with great I will meet him at camp. So, I had the biggest buck they have shown us on the cameras at 22 yards and nobody wanted to answer until I tell them I shot it!

I called my partner and we ended the hunt with daylight left. When we got to camp to start getting our things we discovered the cooler with our deer was locked up. We were then met by the landowner and when I asked where the Game Warden is he told me he called him off. He starts in on you guys got great bucks you should be happy with those bow kills and if you don't like the way we do things than you should probably buy your own hunting property. We were not displeased with the deer we shot we were displeased with an agreed deal changing half way through a hunt and we are over 400 miles from home. He tells me that they had already shot five bucks off the bow pasture and have more hunters coming(which contradicts what we were told prior). After what turned to a heated argument finished, he said you know I see you are right, why don't you come back and hunt again. Besides the fact I have to really plan out my time away due to work and two young kids at home, this was nothing more than an out for him to say he tried to make it right. We paid finally got our deer out of impound and left!

This is the shortened version obviously and I could share even more, but I better get back to work!

Now for the good! Here is a little video of my buck he grossed 147-4/8".

Last edited by Justin Spies; 11-22-2021, 02:57 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Don't hesitate to warn people on a different thread about choosing this guy, when they ask for advice on who to book with...I mean, it won't be your fault if someone puts 2 and 2 together

Comment

That's bad to have to go through all the drama over $$ and someone going back on their word/deal. Sounds like you handled yourself with character, which always carries more weight in the end. Congratulations on y'alls fine looking bucks!!

Comment

Nice deer.

Comment

Uhhh... nice bucks! Pretty red sand. It wasn't on us. Well, take that back. If it was on us, you weren't talking with the landowner.
            Last edited by Encinal; 11-22-2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Great deer. There is no ranch in Texas that I know of that would let you shoot that second buck for $1,000. You guys did really well to get the two bucks you did for $2,500/each. Those are great archery deer! Just be happy with them and don't sweat the small stuff. It sucks the landowner or ranch manager went back on their word but I am just glad they gave you your deer back and let you get out of there for the agreed upon price. It almost sounds like there was a miscommunication between ranch owner/ranch manager and the manager got their butt chewed.
              Last edited by TildenHunter; 11-22-2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Great write up, congrats Justin!

Comment

Great.....Congrats!!

Comment

My First STX Buck!

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                    Great deer. There is no ranch in Texas that I know of that would let you shoot that second buck for $1,000. You guys did really well to get the two bucks you did for $2,500/each. Those are great archery deer! Just be happy with them and don't sweat the small stuff. It sucks the landowner or ranch manager went back on their word but I am just glad they gave you your deer back and let you get out of there for the agreed upon price.

In the bow pasture buck size doesn’t matter or effect price, age didn’t even matter. Any buck was supposed to be $1000. They took two years off from hunting it and the bucks were getting some great age on them to produce great deer for a day hunt type place. We later learned the ranch manager was running their personal cam for us in there, so in my opinion the landowner wasn’t aware of the bucks in there this season. As a matter of fact between the time of us killing our bucks and them telling us we could not kill another the ranch manager told us that they are going to restructure pricing for the following season. They know they offered more than they wanted to, but the reality is we would not have booked the hunt for the deal we end up getting. I know in market pricing terms that’s a good price for 140s deer. It should not have matter if we shot a 170 with double drop tines, a deal is a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro no
                    Last edited by Justin Spies; 11-22-2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                      In the bow pasture buck size doesn’t matter or effect price, age didn’t even matter. Any buck was supposed to be $1000. They took two years off from hunting it and the bucks were getting some great age on them to produce great deer for a day hunt type place. We later learned the ranch manager was running their personal cam for us in there, so in my opinion the landowner wasn’t aware of the bucks in there this season. As a matter of fact between the time of us killing our bucks and them telling us we could not kill another the ranch manager told us that they are going to restructure pricing for the following season. They know they offered more than they wanted to, but the reality is we would not have booked the hunt for the deal we end up getting. I know in market pricing terms that’s a good price for 140s deer. It should not have matter if we shot a 170 with double drop tines, a deal is a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro no
                      I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I agree a deal is a deal. It was just hard to tell whose word you got. Was it the landowner or the manager? It sounds like manager/owner were not on the same page. I would just be happy with the bucks you shot and not sweat the other stuff.

Curious why you wouldn't book the hunt for 1 buck, 2 does and 2 javelina for $2,500 though. That is well below market for a 140-150" buck with you seeing one even bigger then you shot. I 100% understand why you wouldn't go back now after the whole headache. But you are still about $1,500 to the good on the deer you killed versus the market. I don't know anywhere in the US you can go kill 2 bucks (bow or rifle) for $3500 that are going to score between 145-155.

I was just saying, take it as a glass half full. You went, you killed a GREAT deer and paid less than the going rate. I hate for you that they broke their word but you still came out way ahead.

Comment

I know they threatened you with legal action, but libel is very hard to prove for individuals unless you have a publication, or media following that is for profit. Especially if you have the proof via emails, texts, etc... It is simply you recounting your experience and giving your opinion. In order for it to be libel, they would have to prove that you knowingly lied, or falsely recounted the events in an attempt to slander. Very difficult to do with the multiple witnesses, emails, texts, etc...

Comment

Great deer. There is no ranch in Texas that I know of that would let you shoot that second buck for $1,000. You guys did really well to get the two bucks you did for $2,500/each. Those are great archery deer! Just be happy with them and don't sweat the small stuff. It sucks the landowner or ranch manager went back on their word but I am just glad they gave you your deer back and let you get out of there for the agreed upon price. It almost sounds like there was a miscommunication between ranch owner/ranch manager and the manager got their butt chewed.
                          If he had it in writing I would not call that miscommunication. I would call that a lie and a going back on a deal. It looks like that weren’t expecting to have bow hunter that could hunt.
                          He’s lucky they let him have his deer! Is this how you do business? Wow

Comment

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I agree a deal is a deal. It was just hard to tell whose word you got. Was it the landowner or the manager? It sounds like manager/owner were not on the same page. I would just be happy with the bucks you shot and not sweat the other stuff.

Curious why you wouldn't book the hunt for 1 buck, 2 does and 2 javelina for $2,500 though. That is well below market for a 140-150" buck with you seeing one even bigger then you shot. I 100% understand why you wouldn't go back now after the whole headache. But you are still about $1,500 to the good on the deer you killed versus the market. I don't know anywhere in the US you can go kill 2 bucks (bow or rifle) for $3500 that are going to score between 145-155.

I was just saying, take it as a glass half full. You went, you killed a GREAT deer and paid less than the going rate. I hate for you that they broke their word but you still came out way ahead.
                            I know what you're saying. I know it is a deal in the current market, but I booked it because it was a steal that I didn't want to pass up. I had Iowa and another trip out of Menard already on the books. The does didn't mean anything to me, we have plenty does at home and it was 97 degrees! The javelinas were HUGE bonus for me, because I really want a javi with a bow. That is another curve ball by the landowner in itself. I told the ranch manager that I really wanted to get on some, and they told me that they are hit or miss in the bow pasture, but they would take us to hunt the main ranch for them if necessary. Well, right before our hunt the manager reached out and told me that because the landowner would be in town we wouldn't be able to hunt the main ranch. Huge bummer, but I did not really hold this against them.

What I am trying to say is that their last minute change altered everything. If we had already booked and they just changed prior to arrival that may be different. I knew of a couple really nice deer on camera. A guy might not shoot a 140s deer if he knows its one and done and its day one of the hunt.
                            Last edited by Justin Spies; 11-22-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                              If he had it in writing I would not call that miscommunication. I would call that a lie and a going back on a deal. It looks like that weren’t expecting to have bow hunter that could hunt.
                              He’s lucky they let him have his deer! Is this how you do business? Wow
                              Easy there big guy. It doesn't appear reading comprehension is your strong suit.

Look what I wrote vs what he wrote. I said it sounded like there was a miscommunication between the ranch manager/owner. Not between Justin and anyone. I 100% believe Justin has everything in writing and that either the manager or the owner went back on their word. If Justin was only dealing with Manager and had it all in writing and the owner says otherwise, then Justin would be SOL. Makes the Manager look bad but the owner doesn't seem to care about that. Doesn't sound like manager/owner were on same page. If you read his write up, he said they LOCKED THE COOLER that his deer was in. That is why I said, I am GLAD they gave him his deer (nowhere did I say he was LUCKY to get his deer). No this is not how I do business. I hope you do a better job reading in your business then you do here.

Comment

Working...
                              X