Pellet grill turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet grill turkey?

The family wants me to cook our Thanksgiving turkey on the Pit Boss. The only poultry I've done is chicken pieces. No whole birds at all. I'm thinking about butterflying it, injecting it and just sticking that sucker in there like a big ol chicken. What temp would y'all set the grill? Any advise?

Here is a good recipe.

A spatchcock turkey is a great way to prepare a turkey as it cooks quicker, more evenly and presents beautifully!

Comment

Originally posted by marc.munoz31 View Post
      This came out great on my Pitboss.

Comment

Trager has good recipes for turkey. I just season and inject mine like I used to for frying. Then put it on @165 for a few hours to get some smoke on it then take up to cooking temps. Just go by internal temps. Also on mine when Im close to done I go back down to 165 an let it smoke some more. By far the best turkeys Ive ever eaten.

Comment

Doing the same here. Smoking an 18 lb bird & a 15 lb Wagu Brisket. Need to get best internal cook temps. of each.

I used to smoke my birds on wood burning pit for years, just took a lot of time & effort. I started deep frying them about 6 years ago. Was given a Pit Boss pellet smoker & want to try it this year.

Comment

Dang that sounds great going to try it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

This

Comment

Gonna give this one a try. Sounds awesome!

Comment

ive done spatchcocked turkeys on my MB electric smoker in the past that have turned out great - the one key I have personally found is that an 8-12 hour wet brine keeps it from drying out

EDIT - i just looked at the meat church recipe, and I do almost the exact same thing. That's the one I'd follow
                  Last edited by JTRichardson; 11-15-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Highly recommend the Meat Church recipe/method. Spatchcock saves you hours of cooking time.

I use bird bath to brine the bird, then honey hog or deez nuts as a final rub. To me it gives it a nice golden color too. Also had one with the voodoo that was pretty good too.

Treager sells a turkey pellet that comes with a brine packet thst is supposedly very good too.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I`m gonna try my first pellet smoker Turkey this year myself. You Tube has lots on videos on the subject. I am actually smoking some "Wild Turkey Jerky" as I type. First time making TJ for me as well. Got 2 Toms Saturday afternoon. If this turns out good I plan on filing all my Turkey tags in the Fall season since we don`t have access in the spring.

Comment

I just did a test run on my pit boss last week and it turned out great. I actually bought the pit boss turkey kit from Academy for $29.99, think it's on sale for $24.99 now though. Came with 20 pound bag of pellets, the brine ingredients and the rub.

I also bought the meat church kit from Academy and will be using that one Thanksgiving day.

Comment

I follow the Franklin BBQ method, just supplant the pellet grill for the stick smoker.

Comes out great every time.

Comment

I do bone-in turkey breasts on my pellet grill. To me it's easier than cooking a whole bird because I dont have to worry about some parts getting over-cooked.

My method is to brine the nigh before, get cooking temp to 225 and cook till the breast reaches 165 degrees internal temp. Then cover with foil & towels and let it rest in a cooler.

If feeding a large crowd I just add more bone-in breasts.

Good luck!

Comment

They turn out good. I go 275 on all poultry. No benefit going lower temps with birds.

Comment

Working...
                              X