Interview attire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview attire??

It's been a solid 6 years since I have had a very serious interview and I have gained a few pounds. I still fit in my suits -- well -- I can still put my suits on, however, "fat guy in a little coat" comes to mind.

I scoured the internet for a bit and the VAST majority of the aricles that populated were for a teenager's first interview. No wonder there is a shortage of employees as folks must have been showing up ready to work for a movie theatre. The one article for adults was from an English website. They're very posh over there, but they stated that if they job is for "IT" or a "relaxed culture," (check, check on this job), that business casual would suffice.

This goes against what I know. Should I be dressed as business formal?

I'll be headed to Men's Warehouse in 45 minutes to peruse through their selection. What would you guys wear? Business formal or business casual? Solid dark color? Pinstripes? Checkered? Kilt?

Just seeing if you're still reading haha I'll take any advice or prayers. I applied Aug 6 and they've been so backed up on the hiring process it's taken them 3 months to start interviews, but I'm glad we're finally to this point.

Just my opinion, but I've always gone with the rule of dressing one step (or at least a half step) above the prospective interviewer. Obviously, if the interviewer is expected to be in business professional attire (i.e. suit and tie), then you shouldn't one up with a tuxedo. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
      Just my opinion, but I've always gone with the rule of dressing one step (or at least a half step) above the prospective interviewer. Obviously, if the interviewer is expected to be in business professional attire (i.e. suit and tie), then you shouldn't one up with a tuxedo. Lol.
      good advise

Comment

In the last 3 interviews I’ve conducted (where I am interviewing a potential hire) I’ve been in a T-shirt and pajama pants, bar is set pretty low for the interviewee.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
          In the last 3 interviews I’ve conducted (where I am interviewing a potential hire) I’ve been in a T-shirt and pajama pants, bar is set pretty low for the interviewee.
          Zoom ??

Comment

Much depends on the position. There is no downside to being a bit overdressed. If it is a professional position at the very least I would wear slacks, a sport coat or blue blazerand light colored shirt with a button down collar. If you are opting for a suit go with solid gray, a white or light blue shirt and a conservative tie. (Yeah I’m old school but it works in these situations)
            Last edited by jerp; 11-08-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Not sure what type of job this is for. But you can't go wrong with a coat and dress shirt. Good idea on going to the MW. BOL.

Comment

Interview attire??

Hill country casual, can’t go wrong. But what the heck do I know?
                Last edited by Stoof; 11-08-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    Zoom ??

Yep. I’ve always been remote but last two years the whole company had been remote. I loathe the days I have to actually put on pants.

Comment

Always a suit. Just shows your serious. I’d go with a solid navy suit

Comment

Its for a Sr Product Coach position with our company's IT department. I would be helping coach and mentor IT team members and bridging the gap between them and their skillsets and the ideas of VPs and up. Will have a lot of exposure and presentations to senior leaders as well as meetings with IT teams. I have really been looking forward to this for a while! Off to the warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          Its for a Sr Product Coach position with our company's IT department. I would be helping coach and mentor IT team members and bridging the gap between them and their skillsets and the ideas of VPs and up. Will have a lot of exposure and presentations to senior leaders as well as meetings with IT teams. I have really been looking forward to this for a while! Off to the warehouse.

I think your play here is to dress comparably to those VPs you will be in meetings with.

But I’ve never been interviewed for a job either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Much depends on the position. There is no downside to being a bit overdressed. If it is a professional position at the very least I would wear slacks, a sport coat or blue blazerand light colored shirt with a button down collar. If you are opting for a suit go with solid gray, a white or light blue shirt and a conservative tie. (Yeah I’m old school but it works in these situations)
                            I agree.

In my years of law-enforcement, I have gone to, been on and been in charge of (as commanding officer) interview boards for internal position such as investigator, narcotics, dog handler, SWAT, etc.

In a 130 officer Police Department, everybody knows everybody (except rookies and they can’t apply for the position anyway) and very likely has worked closely at one time with the person being interviewed.

We don’t expect much from another officer but he better not show up with cut offs and a tank top. Business casual, if neat, was certainly acceptable and nobody was graded down for not having a suit. A few people however, showed up with a full suit. in our position maybe they were overdressed but they sure didn’t lose any points and some interviewers might’ve actually gave them a bump for going the extra effort when they knew it was not needed.

Comment

I’ve been interviewing people for technical positions for several years. I don’t think I would even notice a candidate with clean, pressed and well fitting dark slacks and a conservative dress shirt. (Navy or black slacks and white dress shirt)

I mean notice in a negative way. I have noticed sloppy looking people and I do think khakis and any kind of shirt is too casual.

If it were me though I would go with a conservative suit.

Comment

Working...
                              X