Best place to hunt trophy mule deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try and hunt mule deer next year , for a good chance for 180 and bigger where would you recommend ? Thanks

DYI, or canned?

Comment

Above the timberline....Rocky Mountains

Comment

Mexico
        Eastern Colorado
        Western Kansas & Nebraska
        Utah private land

Comment

Marathon, Tx.

Comment

If you have deep pockets, west Texas, eastern Colorado or Canada. A 180 is possible anywhere but it's gonna take some years or luck to draw a tag.

Comment

Mexico for sure if you want a great chance at a deer north of 180

Comment

Literally anywhere with mountains, and even spits that don't.

We need more info. What type of hunt you looking for?

Comment

Big mule deer aren’t as easy to find as big elk, or big whitetail. But you can get into areas where 180 or better is legitimately a likelihood instead of a possibility. All it takes is money.

I too wanted to kill bug mule deer. I searched all over.

Everyone immediately says Sonora. I know there are some big deer down there but I also know that a lot of guys go home without having ever even laid eyes on the type of deer you are wanting. When I was doing my search I spoke with a very well known person in the hunting industry that is kinda known for being a mule deer nut and killing some monsters on a fairly regular basis. Dude has connections. He hunts Sonora every year. Says that he realistically expects to be able to kill an elite type mule deer down there 1 in 3 years. With his connections and the fact that he goes every year, that was surprising to me. Also, ALOT of the pics you see from Mexico are coming off of high fence places. Not judging……just not what I wanted for a mule deer hunt.

Nevada/Utah - takes a long time to draw in the premium areas or a TON of cash to buy a tag. I keep putting in but this wasn’t the best option for me.

AZ - I keep building points but it’s gonna be another 10-12 years depending on point creep before I get that tag.

Kansas / Nebraska - some giants come out of there but there are very limited spots where you could feel confident that you are likely to hit 180 or better.

Canada - on my list for sure at some point. Definitely can find outfitters that will do what you want.

Highcountry hunts - anywhere it is definitely possible but nowhere is it likely with VERY few exceptions and those tags are tough to draw.

After all of my research I went with the Eastern Plains of Colorado. I went back to back years. Killed a 204 and a 197. With that said, the average deer with the outfitter I used was a typical 4x4 with a 26-28” spread that would go right at 180”. A lot of guys kill smaller deer because they aren’t patient. A few get lucky (me…..twice). With all of that said, I wouldn’t send someone to the outfitter I used. It’s just a mess of pure drama with him all of the time. I put up with it to kill big deer…..and I did. But I won’t go back with him if I go back. There are other outfitters that you don’t have to deal with that crap. His turnover rate with guides is really high. That should tell you something.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Durango Colorado near the Indian reservation

Comment

Sonora Mexico.

Those are some of the biggest framed deer I’ve seen. It’s true there are a lot of high fence places, but also some incredible low fence with deer of a lifetime opportunities.

Comment

I am on the hunt also for a big muley. I have done a ton of research and I have narrowed my search to Alberta or Utah. Too old to draw a tag so will probably sell the farm and pick up a landowner tag or go to Canada. Love those big Canada mule deer and their body size.

Comment

Some high country hunts in Wyoming and private land in both Wyoming and Colorado.
                          Some outfitters in SE Wyoming produce good bucks in areas that can be drawn with 0-1 PP.
                          Might look into RFW hunt in Colorado.
                          Canada, as mentioned, has big bodied deer to go with their big antlers.

Comment

Eastern Colorado is a great place. Have killed several from 185 to 200 there and seen several over 200 taken. It is not cheap and the outfitter is key.

Comment

A big mule deer can be had anywhere just depends on how you want to do it and how deep your pockets are. I know of places in CO that can be drawn with no points, DIY, and will require you to put some time in and it’s very doable in a single season but most people won’t put in half the effort it takes.

If you’re just wanting to throw some money down and get an actual mule deer hunting experience and not just ride around in a vehicle, I’d be looking at outfitters that hunt wilderness on horseback around Yellowstone.

Comment

Working...
                              X