James Daughtry WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtry WMA

My son and I are heading to JD this coming weekend, Dec 4-5 for youth mngt hunt.
    Does anyone know if they allow baiting?
    Do you pick your pasture or do they pick it for you?
    Any tips, hot spots, etc.?
    Anyone else from here gonna be there?

Yes you can bait. You can request a section. My daughter has hunted there the last 2 years and we got section 9 both times. Lots of deer there.

Comment

The one around choke canyon lake?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Got drawn a few times for that a few years back. Usually the have set ups for you. Hunted section 14 and got a good one

Comment

If your planning to stay in a cabin at choke canyon I would advise you to find someplace else. They are very poorly maintained. We spent the first couple hours killing yellow jackets and the rest of the night listening to mice run around in the cabin with us.

Comment

Originally posted by DAY1 View Post
              If your planning to stay in a cabin at choke canyon I would advise you to find someplace else. They are very poorly maintained. We spent the first couple hours killing yellow jackets and the rest of the night listening to mice run around in the cabin with us.
              Not sure what happened, my reply yesterday seems to have disappeared.

We are staying at the Best Western in Three Rivers, but thanks for the advise on the cabins.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                My son and I are heading to JD this coming weekend, Dec 4-5 for youth mngt hunt.
                Does anyone know if they allow baiting?
                Do you pick your pasture or do they pick it for you?
                Any tips, hot spots, etc.?
                Anyone else from here gonna be there?
                Baiting is not allowed on the Daughtrey for the YDM hunt, but it is for the Choke Canyon-North Shore hunt. Check your Special Drawing Hunt booklet.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                  Baiting is not allowed on the Daughtrey for the YDM hunt, but it is for the Choke Canyon-North Shore hunt. Check your Special Drawing Hunt booklet.
                  JAMES DAUGHTREY Area Code: JD
                  SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS: No shotguns allowed. No standby positions will be available.
                  BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS: Two white-tailed deer (either sex, no more than one
                  buck). Buck must have at least one unbranched antler. Unlimited feral hogs
                  and coyotes.
                  HUNT METHOD: By compartment. Some permanent box blinds are available or
                  hunters may bring portable blinds.
                  PERMITS AVAILABLE: 60
                  LAST YEAR: 215 applicants for 20 permits HUNTER SUCCESS: 27%

I dont see anything that says no baining for the youth hunts....I would call just to make sure they have allways allowed corn on the youth hunts unless something changed...

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                    Not sure what happened, my reply yesterday seems to have disappeared.

We are staying at the Best Western in Three Rivers, but thanks for the advise on the cabins.
                    We stayed at the park last year and it was ok, dirty buy ok but this year wow. We would have left but arrived so late decided to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                      Can you please show me where it says no baiting. I looked in the booklet. I found the same results as STXBOWHUNTER73 reply below. It doesn't say anything about baiting, either allowed or not. I had always heard that they allowed baiting on the youth hunts at most, if not all, the WMAs. That is why I called to make sure. The lady on the phone told me that corn was allowed on youth hunts.

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
                      JAMES DAUGHTREY Area Code: JD
                      SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS: No shotguns allowed. No standby positions will be available.
                      BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS: Two white-tailed deer (either sex, no more than one
                      buck). Buck must have at least one unbranched antler. Unlimited feral hogs
                      and coyotes.
                      HUNT METHOD: By compartment. Some permanent box blinds are available or
                      hunters may bring portable blinds.
                      PERMITS AVAILABLE: 60
                      LAST YEAR: 215 applicants for 20 permits HUNTER SUCCESS: 27%

I dont see anything that says no baining for the youth hunts....I would call just to make sure they have allways allowed corn on the youth hunts unless something changed...
                      I called after my original post and they told me corn is allowed on youth hunts.

Comment

In the return letter with you permits, they will give you instructions about the rules including the allowance or ban of baiting.

Comment

I called again today to check on the baiting question. Baiting is allowed for the youth management hunts, but not for the "gun deer either sex" hunts which are considered trophy hunts. My son got drawn for the latter for the end of December.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            I called again today to check on the baiting question. Baiting is allowed for the youth management hunts, but not for the "gun deer either sex" hunts which are considered trophy hunts. My son got drawn for the latter for the end of December.
                            This is correct.
                            Just got back about an hour ago. Deer were running around everywhere. My son got his limit, 1 doe yesterday, and another this morning. The deer there are hungry. Road fed, then got into blind around 1:30pm yesterday, had deer come out just before 2pm. Didn't expect deer at 2pm in 80 degree weather.

Comment

denowt, congrats to your son. couple of questions....what unit did you hunt? did you see any hogs?

Comment

Working...
                              X