No announcement yet.

Getting the game out of the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a ladder stand that has 15" wheels attached at the seated end. Great to roll the stand in and great to strap the deer to roll out. Great for public land.

Just make sure you recover at all cost. I had trouble as a rookie hunter retrieving on public land. If you need help call the game warden.

Comment

Here is mine, a $60 odd dollar game cart, a $20 pawn shop special bike, a couple cans spray paint, some scrap metal, and here it is. The key to this one is the old trampoline spring as the hinge with 1/4 inch cable between the tubes. The spring fits very tight over 3/4 inch tubing, the cable is a redneck safety chain. I don't think I'd try to put a deer or pig on it, but to at least get into the woods with a stand/pact etc it will probably fit the bill.

Next up is deciding on a bow-holder, or just strap my bow case to the trailer.
      Last edited by Razorback01; 12-23-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the site, when I hunted on public land I carried large ziplock storage bags (the ones used for clothing) and quartered everything up. Get the ones with handles, it was the easiest, cuz you ain't gonna ride any bike in the Northeast Texas Woods.

Comment

Always hunt with a buddy. 2 can make a lot easier work of it, at least until you kill 2 or 3 in a morning.

Comment

Just remember if you go the frame pack route, don't forget you must retain proof of sex and can only go so far as to:

•A hunter may skin and quarter a deer (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) and possess for transport, provided the quartered deer is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer. (See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions).
            •A deer may not be processed any further than four quarters and two backstraps (example, steaks, hamburger, chili meat, etc.) until the deer reaches a final destination

Comment

Originally posted by toddblue68 View Post
              Just remember if you go the frame pack route, don't forget you must retain proof of sex and can only go so far as to:

•A hunter may skin and quarter a deer (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) and possess for transport, provided the quartered deer is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer. (See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions).
              •A deer may not be processed any further than four quarters and two backstraps (example, steaks, hamburger, chili meat, etc.) until the deer reaches a final destination
              Very true. What we did in Idaho with elk was to leave the sexual organs attached to the hide on one of the rear quarters as evidence of sex. It met the requirements of the law UNLESS there were stipulations on the rack in which case it was required to "remain naturally attached to the carcass". So long as there were no stipulations re antler specs the "naturally attached to carcass" requirement was most easily met by leaving the genitals attached by the hide to one quarter. Good point bringing up the legality issue toddblue!

Comment

I bought a game cart at Cabela's for $50 bucks a couple of years back. Got rid of the cheap plastic wheels and bought some wheels at Tractor Supply. I took a piece of 3/4 steel (I think dia. is right) to replace the stock axle and machined down both ends for the new wheels and drilled holes for the spring pins. It is a bullet proof cart and better than anything you can buy in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I got a good starting point now!!

Comment

Here's how we do it
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mfields75 View Post
                      Here's how we do it
                      Thats a good idea!!!!!!!!!!! I may Have to put wheels on my stands to help me get them into where I want to set them up!

Comment

same stand as i have

Originally posted by mfields75 View Post
                        Here's how we do it
                        This stand was made by Big Dawg stands. The guy told me that they did not make them anymore. But you could certainly add the wheels. I love this stand for hauling it in on the public lands.

Comment

Originally posted by 7point View Post
                          This stand was made by Big Dawg stands. The guy told me that they did not make them anymore. But you could certainly add the wheels. I love this stand for hauling it in on the public lands.
                          I don't remember who manufactured the stand but I bought it at Academy for $50 during the off season. I bought some 20" bicycle wheels from Northern tool and mounted them to the frame. Makes it a lot easier to get your stand in and game out. We do this to all of our ladder stands. I did have to add some braces to the frame because the welds on the ladder broke right off because it gets kind of bouncy. To offset this bouncing, I use my ratchet straps to help stabilize the platform back to the ladder while I'm moving it in and out of the woods. I've got some more pictures somewhere.

I've also got a hitch bracket made to go on my mountain bike. I can take the ladder apart and strap them together to make it short. Attach it to the bike and off you go.
                          Last edited by mfields75; 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Some nifty ideas there! For me, I use big garden metal wagon with tubed tires. It works for me but I hadn't got one kill yet. Can't wait for my first kill at public land.

Comment

You have the right idea start asking now before you have to do it. Had to drag the first one over a mile back to the truck (you will only do it once). Now we do it this way (pix) changed the stock wheels for wheel barrow tires and changed the axel to solid steel.
                              Last edited by HCON3; 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM. Reason: did something wrong was expecting pix

Comment

First bow kill I had was in the nat'l forest and we were 1 mile in from the truck, we had to drag the thing out. I won't do that again!!!! Next time we took a dolly with us and left it about half way in, made carrying the bows and stands a little easier too on such a hike!

Comment

Working...
                                X