sunday fun / frustrating day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sunday fun / frustrating day....

First time posting a new thread. Hopefully not too boring of a read lol. Back in 2017 my father purchased some additional land adjoining his home. Found some sign of animals coming in so put out some feed and a camera. Was stoked to see some really nice deer coming through. It's also been super frustrating though. This is my 4th season hunting this area and have never seen a deer in person until this past sunday. Took my father in law with me to go sit sunday morning. After nearly being sprayed by a skunk we make it to the stand. I'm always hopeful but also expect it to be the same as every other sit. Nothing. Well not 10 mins after we get settled I just catch movement near my gravity feeder about 35 yards away. I could just barely make out the shape of the body. It was a deer. Finally! Now just waiting on legal light and for it to be light enough to make sure it was a legal animal. He hung around for a while and wandered by at 22 yards at 2 minutes after legal light. But it was so overcast I still could not tell what it was. Had to pass. When i left i checked a cam about 300 yards away, and i'm pretty sure it was the largest buck i've had on cam this year. Main frame 9 pt with a split brow tine. I was disappointed but knew i did the right thing. That afternoon i drove down to check the feeder and top it off. Went and parked and walked back down. Got settled in and started watching. About an hour later 2 does walk in. Just milling around taking their time. I could not decide if i wanted to sling an arrow or not and ended up letting them walk. A while later they came back in from behind me and were doing the same thing. I decided i'm gonna go ahead and shoot. I've never taken a deer in my life. I'll be plenty happy taking a doe. One of them lines up perfectly broadside. I get drawn and settle the pin just behind the shoulder, hit my release and PANG!! something went super wrong. I don't know if it was me or maybe the arrow was bad. But it went flying off to who knows where and I saw the knock go flying out ahead of me with no arrow. Heart broken. disappointed. all of that. But amazingly the does didn't hardly spook. they came right back in. I got out another arrow made sure it was seated correctly and everything. I was literally mid draw when i noticed another deer off to my right. I could see it had a much bigger body. Thought maybe this was the buck from my morning sit. He came around toward the does who were staring at him. Steps out and it's a young forky. That bugger was looking for love. He came running in and chased off the does. At this point there was only 4 mins left of legal light. I hung around to make sure they didn't come back in so i could sneak out of there nice and quiet like. So yea, was an awesome day and had it's frustrations as well. Still a lot of season left and this experience only makes me want to get out more. Got a 4 day weekend this week so maybe i'll get another chance. Thursday and Friday morning are looking pretty good with this cold front moving in. Anyways, if you hung around and read this far, thanks for listening to my story.

Good luck on the buck this weekend. He'll come around. Looking forward to some LDPs

Comment

Keep at it!

Comment

Enjoyed the read. Perseverance!

Comment

You will get him!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the world of hunting. Stay with it you will connect in due time. Thanks for the write up it was a joy to read.

Comment

Keep at it. Good luck this week end.

Comment

We could all write a book on missed/botched opertunities. Hang in there. It gets easier after the first one.

Comment

Ups and downs of bowhunting. Your first encounter, and first heartbreak. Believe it or not you are going to have things like this happen from now on, just part of it. But in between can be magical moments as well. Good luck the rest of the season, and keep it up!

Comment

Make sure that you are not driving/walking through their bedding or core area. You say that you have bucks on camera but not at any sits, you have to be pushing them out somehow maybe your sent. I wash ALL of my clothing in sent killer even my underwear and socks, I spray the inside and outside of my boots and hat and shower with sent killer as well. Try something different because they know you are there. GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Comment

It happens. Did you figure out what might have gone wrong with the arrow or bow?

But your never gonna make P&Y posting one thread in 6 years.

Comment

Holy wall of text

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
                          Make sure that you are not driving/walking through their bedding or core area. You say that you have bucks on camera but not at any sits, you have to be pushing them out somehow maybe your sent. I wash ALL of my clothing in sent killer even my underwear and socks, I spray the inside and outside of my boots and hat and shower with sent killer as well. Try something different because they know you are there. GOOD LUCK TO YOU
                          That's one thing i've paid much more attention to. Scent. wash all clothes in scent killer, store in trash bags. spray down, the whole 9 yards. The bedding area, so far as i can tell, is on a neighbor's property. The walk in is pretty wide open through fields. trees and such just along fence rows. Been paying more attention to how they travel on this property and stay out of those areas as best i can and walk way around when heading to the blind. only drive down for filling up the gravity feeder that is out there. it's about a 1/4 mile walk in from where i usually park.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                            It happens. Did you figure out what might have gone wrong with the arrow or bow?

But your never gonna make P&Y posting one thread in 6 years.
                            Lmao! right? I'm a bit of an introvert.... Learning a lot reading on here. Y'all are one helpful community.

And no, not a clue as to my arrow or bow. Shot fine as of yesterday. Idk... probably user error lol

Comment

Originally posted by bugbee View Post
                              Lmao! right? I'm a bit of an introvert.... Learning a lot reading on here. Y'all are one helpful community.

And no, not a clue as to my arrow or bow. Shot fine as of yesterday. Idk... probably user error lol
                              I found I was really screwing up my form shooting from an awkward position in my elevated blind and missed twice last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X