Night vision on ar pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night vision on ar pistol?

Any one use an ar pistol for night hunting? I’ve got a 10.5 upper in 223 and was kicking around the idea of a night scope for hogs and axis. Shots would all be under 100 yards and more likely 25 to 50. Thought a compact firearm might be a little more user friendly in the blind/brush. Just wondering if anyone does or has and been happy with the setup.

I’ve ran one of 11.5 SBRs with both thermal and a PVS-14 head mounted and IR laser with good success for anything under 100 yds.

Comment

I run a hogster on a 10.5"

Comment

I don’t but I could. My favorite hog gun is a 6.8 with a 20” barrel. When I rebarreled it I should have went with a 16” barrel. Much more blind friendly. A pistol would be more friendly yet.

Comment

I run a Reap-IR on an 11.5” suppressed Grendel. It’s perfect.

Comment

That’s what I was wanting to hear. I think for under a hundred yards it would be fine. I had considered putting it on a bolt gun but I really like the way it’s already setup, so the at was my next choice.

Comment

This 11.5” with an XP38 was my backup rifle for a while. Quite a few hogs died at its hands. Handy little thing for sure.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yep. Throw a wraith on there and get to killing....

Comment

Go for it, while none of the night vision scopes are compact or light, the overall length will be short. Since your looking at short range, get as low of magnification as you can go, night scopes are not known for their field of view. I have the 4X Wraith on a SBR 458 and wish I would have waited for the 2x.

Comment

If you get a thermal/night scope make sure you are getting a 2x base magnification or less at those ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                      Go for it, while none of the night vision scopes are compact or light, the overall length will be short. Since your looking at short range, get as low of magnification as you can go, night scopes are not known for their field of view. I have the 4X Wraith on a SBR 458 and wish I would have waited for the 2x.
                      The new Wraith Mini is pretty darn compact. It would be a good fit for a short rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        The new Wraith Mini is pretty darn compact. It would be a good fit for a short rifle.
                        Yea, everything looks good on it except for the 3" offset width.

Comment

That’s what I’m looking at is the 2x wraith. Are you guys pretty happy with them. I’m afraid the 4x would be too magnified at shorter ranges.

Comment

I had a 4X Wraith for about a week. Hated it due to FOV. Ive got a 2X Wraith now I’d sell. Ive had it a few months, and it’s much better than the 4X. I don’t use it though, as shortly after buying it I snagged a couple more thermals. So it’s sat in the safe without ever having a shot fired. Just been mounted, and watched a feeder a good bit for 1 weekend.

Comment

I’ll say this. Even the 2X has a pretty crappy FOV. Its useable, but far from ideal. The image is fantastic though. I’ve got 3 $6000 thermals, and a Omni 8 PVS-14. I’m not a fan of poor picture quality, and the picture of the Wraith is more than sufficient for me. A good IR light will double it’s capabilities though.

Comment

Working...
                              X