30-30 ammo does it really matter? On Gr and brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
    My 30-30 loves REM Core Lokt 150gr. It HATES the hornady stuff.
    same for mine. Marlin 30-30. I really wanted it to like the leverevolution stuff but it prefers the cor lokt.

Comment

Read a long time ago not to expect LeverEvolution to work in Winchester 94. Any good 150 or 170 should work. Every 94 I’ve had does fine with Winchester or Remington. Never tried PPU 30-30 but their 6.5x55 is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
        My 30-30 loves REM Core Lokt 150gr. It HATES the hornady stuff.
        What rifle? Define hate por favor. Cycling or grouping?

Comment

Remington or Winchester. I don't know how many i killed with Remington corlok's, its a lot.

Comment

As long as your rifle shoots them decent, it doesn’t matter. I’ve killed deer with both 150s and 170s.

Comment

My Marlin shot the federal blue box really well. I want to say they where 168gr. I could be wrong though.

Comment

My 70s Marlin did not group well with Hornady or 150g Rem. I need to try 170g, May just need to de-copper the bore really well. It’s an inherited gun.

Comment

I handload for mine it so far shoots 160gr FTX the best.

Comment

I've shot 170 grain Core Lokt since I was 15. Does amazing damage and I've never seen a need to shoot anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                      What rifle? Define hate por favor. Cycling or grouping?
                      good point. Mine(Win and Marlin) like normal 30-30 ammo. Doesn't seem to show a whole lotta preference, at least with me and open sights.

Then I tried some of that whiz bang Hornady stuff. I shot good groups,but they were about 14" wide right.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        The leverevlution claims adds + 100 yards to a lever gun ?
                        It does

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

From my experience, It depends on your gun with Hornady ammo. One of my 30-30’s shoots literal one hole groups at 100 with LeverEvolution, and the other shoots about 1.5” at 100 with the same. I’ve killed a lot of stuff with that ammo, so it’s my go-to.

Comment

My Marlin, for whatever reason, won't group 150's or the Leverevolution. It shoots great with either the cheap Federal blue box 170's or 170 grain Core Lokts. I'm currently shooting the Federals but I can switch back and forth between the 2 without even having to re zero. And they both do great on deer.

Comment

It doesn't take much to kill Texas sized deer. Or hogs if you put it in the right place. Take the 7x30 Waters for example. It's a 30-30 case necked down to 7mm. 7mm is only .024" ( 24 thousandths of an inch) smaller than 30 cal. The only factory ammo you can get for it is a 120gr pill, unless you reload. And the 120gr does just fine out to 200 yards with more than enough energy. Understanding your ballistics and what you and your rifle/tool can do are more important.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Here's a recent example (this past Thursday evening) of the 7x30 Waters with a factory 120gr. Shot placement, and accuracy, is key. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211111_183059.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	24669097Click image for larger version

Name:	20211111_183005.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	24669098Click image for larger version

Name:	20211111_183012.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24669099

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                                X