Insane Processing Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    These threads have always cracked me up and always have.. I agree that those fees are way high and its definitely cheaper to buy beef or pork by a long shot OR just do the processing yourself.. This is why I mow my own yard, change my own oil, wash my own vehicles etc..

After the outrageous lease fees most hunters pay, $60,000 - $80,000 dollar truck(more than my first house), $1200 gun(conserv.), buy high $$ scope and binos, $60 -$80 boxes of bullets, $18,000- $20,000 UTV(seems everybody but me has one), $10-$15 bag of corn/protein x who knows how many, hundreds of gallons of $3 a gallon gas, groceries, countless bottles of whiskey and expensive cigars, latest and greatest camo and fancy snake books, many game cams and countless batteries, and a bunch I am sure I forgot, I chuckle that it is ALWAYS the taxidermy and the processing when hunters slam on the brakes and decide "now it is the time to save a few bucks". Go with the cheapest..

I dont know why but it has been this way forever and probably always will be.. Maybe the wife finally said "enough"...Any of the many things listed above are outrageously priced, and I went conservative on a lot of it, but yet most never blink an eye buying it.... Anything of high quality will cost more in most cases..
    I couldn`t agree with you more. I tagged out yesterday morning and was gonna do my own processing since I have all the equipment and 25 years experience cutting meat(retail).I have processed all of my deer and my family`s deer since 1977, until 2 years ago when I took my first buck to a processor one late evening when I had to be at work the next morning. It wasn`t until I backed up to my shop yesterday morning when I got back home with my buck that I decided I did not want to mess with the processing either. I loaded up the wife and headed to JT`s processing in Stephenville. It felt good to just back up to the skinning dock and let someone else do all the work. People do not realize how much it cost just to operate one of the processing places that are seasonal. The supplies cost alone would blow your mind and doesn`t include labor , taxes and utilities to operate coolers and freezers for 4-5 months.. If you don`t like the high prices, buy the equipment, learn the skill and do the work yourself. If it was easy.......everybody would do it.

Comment

What

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Jerky is $20 per pound and you’re supplying the meat. Wow!
      No way in Hell would I pay that. Plum Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        These threads have always cracked me up and always have.. I agree that those fees are way high and its definitely cheaper to buy beef or pork by a long shot OR just do the processing yourself.. This is why I mow my own yard, change my own oil, wash my own vehicles etc..

After the outrageous lease fees most hunters pay, $60,000 - $80,000 dollar truck(more than my first house), $1200 gun(conserv.), buy high $$ scope and binos, $60 -$80 boxes of bullets, $18,000- $20,000 UTV(seems everybody but me has one), $10-$15 bag of corn/protein x who knows how many, hundreds of gallons of $3 a gallon gas, groceries, countless bottles of whiskey and expensive cigars, latest and greatest camo and fancy snake books, many game cams and countless batteries, and a bunch I am sure I forgot, I chuckle that it is ALWAYS the taxidermy and the processing when hunters slam on the brakes and decide "now it is the time to save a few bucks". Go with the cheapest..

I dont know why but it has been this way forever and probably always will be.. Maybe the wife finally said "enough"...Any of the many things listed above are outrageously priced, and I went conservative on a lot of it, but yet most never blink an eye buying it.... Anything of high quality will cost more in most cases..
        I am really curious as to what the ratio is between lease hunters and non lease hunters in Texas. I could be wrong but I am betting lease hunting is the most common type.

I hunt my own land that I bought to live on and the price of a deer is only my time, some corn, and the cost of a 30-06 round and I dont use fancy ammo lol. I am a field to table guy myself, its part of the experience. That animal never leaves me during any steps of the process other than I have a tamales made up some times by a Mexican family I know. I couldnt even afford most of what you have laid out for lease hunting let alone the processing money but to each his own.
        Last edited by Ætheling; 11-10-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

This hobby is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. Nobody is forced to pay high prices for processing or anything else for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            Picked up 40lbs of dried sausage (57 links) yesterday from Stonewall Smokehouse. THe stuff is soooo good. I think they got me for .75 x $40 for boning 3 quarters, and $4.75 per pound for the sausage. No complaints from me! Those prices up there are ludicrous.
            I just took mine to a local processer yesterday and they quoted about the same as yours. I thought it was a little high, but maybe not. At least I know they do good work.

Comment

I like Owens in Ballinger if you are in the area! Now I wish they were in Oklahoma

Comment

i used them once about 8 years ago, never again.

now i go to kubys or butchermans in royse city.

Comment

If you are charged extreme prices by a processor you either did not look at their pricing or ask enough questions.

Comment

I quit the processor game 4 season ago and bit the bullet and bought a high quality grinder, its already payed for itself, we have run a ton of deer through it already. And you know what the meat taste better too, not a little better a lot better, go try it for yourself you might be surprised.

Comment

But Herman's in rouse city does good work

You get your own deer back there

Comment

Just invest in a high quality grinder and do it all yourself. We have processed just over 80 deer on the one my dad bought. You know what you are getting back and how it was handled.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                          Just invest in a high quality grinder and do it all yourself. We have processed just over 80 deer on the one my dad bought. You know what you are getting back and how it was handled.
                          Would love to but depends on how many deer our property produces in the next year or two to make it worth while.
                          Also wondering where do you get the beef or pork fat to mix with it?

Comment

Just a thought, but that might be the price per lb of the deer meat you bring in vs. total weight that most places do. Not taking there side, but has anyone called to find out or just lynching for fun?

Comment

Eat’n Ain’t Cheap.

Comment

I’m in the “you’re not forced to pay it” crowd.
                                You can’t get screwed if you can do basic math. Reminds me of the people who will complain about this or that being too expensive while smoking an $8 pack of cigarettes or drinking a $12 beer at a ball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X