Question for the car mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the car mechanics

1998 GMC Z71. Doors are hard to open from the inside. Buddy says he knows the part I need. I ask to let me know which one it is.
    He sends me this link
    Shop from thousands of parts and accessories to help you restore, maintain, and customize your Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge or Ford truck or SUV. Keep 'em on the road with the right part, right price, right now.

So which part(s) do I need?

Obviously it's a super complicated question. This is the second buddy I've asked to fix this issue for me. I'll pay them. Both say get the part I'll fix. They both say it's likely not the handle, just to O'REILLY'S and get the part out of the help section and I'll put it on.

Than it's back to square zero again if I knew the part I needed I'd get it and fix it myself?

Obviously I'm asking the wrong question.....

Its probably 10 the door latch....but it could be the linkages (13 or 14) between the handle and the door latch if its hard to open only on the inside, and not the outside. If its the linkages it could easily be a tightening or bending to get them back into shape after all these years. You'd have to open it up to check. I'd look at 10, 13 and 14 before I went to buy parts.

17, 16, 11 and 12 are part of the lock system. 17 is an electric door lock actuator ....neither of those have to do with opening the door. They are all lock parts

Comment

Take the door panel off and inspect the linkages. Is one bent or binding? 15 is often plastic. Is it intact? Is the latch (10) severely dirty or worn? Is there a wear issue on the inside handle?

This is where I would start.

Comment

Haven't taken the door apart. Not sure what I'm going to get into.

It's only hard to open from the inside.
        Than it's not really hard as in stiff, you have to grab the handle on the bottom and pull the all the way slowly and as far back as you can. Slowly and than wait a second before pushing on the door
        Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-09-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Mine did this until the interior handle broke. The handle starts to crack and you never notice it until it does break.

Chevy Forums FREE technical assistance for your restoration and repair. Model specific subject matter experts, classified ads and more.

Put a new one in and made sure the linkage was tight. Easy fix.

Comment

Put me next in line for "Inside Door Handle". My 98 did it to me.

Comment

I would start by replacing 13 and 14. There are also plastic bushings where all the linkages connect that get worn out. Need them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                Haven't taken the door apart. Not sure what I'm going to get into.

It's only hard to open from the inside.
                Than it's not really hard as in stiff, you have to grab the handle on the bottom and pull the all the way slowly and as far back as you can. Slowly and than wait a second before pushing on the door

Getting inside the door to look is easy stuff. There's probably a youtube on it. You basically just want to get the inside skin off the door and then work the handle to see where its' not working. Nothing is going to come falling out or blow up. The internals all stays together with the skin is off until you pull them stuff apart. Listening to your description in a little more detail, I'm learning towards worn/ failing handle like the folks above or linkage from that handle to the latch mechanism getting weak, bent or slipping. Easy fix

Comment

No help, but I need to look into it. My sons 98 passenger door has to be opened from the outside and it’s hard to open drivers from inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Side question... Does the door still line up and latch correctly?

The door pins wear out on that vintage and the door will sit wonky. I just did mine a while back. I noticed it was getting bad when I broke my inside door handle off.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                      Side question... Does the door still line up and latch correctly?

The door pins wear out on that vintage and the door will sit wonky. I just did mine a while back. I noticed it was getting bad when I broke my inside door handle off.
                      Yes
                      We replaced those last fall

Comment

I don't have the picture anymore. Tried replacing wife's driver window motor on her Ford Explorer. I ended up with shattered glass everywhere and a mad wife. Figured that was the last time I'd need with a door. Also I've got big hands, wear a 2X glove, hard to work inside the door.

Comment

Yup, inside door handle assembly, I just bought them off of Amazon and replaced them.
                          I had a 1999 Suburban and a 1998 Chevy pickup, replaced them as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                            Mine did this until the interior handle broke. The handle starts to crack and you never notice it until it does break.

Chevy Forums FREE technical assistance for your restoration and repair. Model specific subject matter experts, classified ads and more.

Put a new one in and made sure the linkage was tight. Easy fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-77187C...25481991&psc=1
                            I just did this with my sons 97 Z71, works great now.

Comment

Working...
                            X