Unnatural Deer Baits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unnatural Deer Baits

So I don't have any acorns even close to my property. I have a ton at my house and took a big bucket to the ranch and threw them out for the deer. They were very suspicious for a few days but eventually cleaned them up. Now I'm thinking of taking left over Halloween pumpkins this weekend but do you think the same thing will happen or will they tear'em up right off the bat?

Neighbor told me yesterday they feed busted pumpkins to deer and they love them.

Comment

Deer eat them, but don’t be surprised if you have a pumpkin patch there next year.

Comment

Deer love pumpkins. I have trail camera pics of a big mature buck last Fall with a giant hunk of pumpkin in his mouth.

Sweet potatoes are even better...

Comment

We have lots of deer in our neighborhood and our the property behind us is pasture/brush. We frequently through our vegetable scraps over the back fence. It is amazing wheat the deer will eat.

I realize this is probably not the best thing to do from an environmental aspect.

Comment

They like potato chips...

Comment

They'll eat almost any fruit, vegetable or processed foods.

Save for onions and citrus. And they aren't very fond of cilantro.

Comment

The question I have is more along the lines of whether or not I'm running a risk blowing my sit to try it right off the bat if they don't have any experience with it or do you think they'll jump right on it?

Comment

chop the pumpkins in half and fill a few with corn. they'll eat the corn first and then on to the other pumpkins.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                    chop the pumpkins in half and fill a few with corn. they'll eat the corn first and then on to the other pumpkins.

Comment

they will eat them up asap

Comment

Chili cheese dawg! If they don’t eat it you got lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                          The question I have is more along the lines of whether or not I'm running a risk blowing my sit to try it right off the bat if they don't have any experience with it or do you think they'll jump right on it?

I would not do it because you will be running the risk of spooking them for a few days until they get used to the new smell. How high of risk really depends on your deer and how spooky they are to new smells. I know at my old lease, if I put anything new out the deer and hogs would avoid that spot for a few days.

Comment

After Halloween my church gives me a load of pumpkins for a small donation, cut up, rotten,
                            Half’s ,
                            My buddy’s wife feeds powdered doughnuts to deer in the back yard
                            They love stale tortillas or carrots, any root vegetable

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              I would not do it because you will be running the risk of spooking them for a few days until they get used to the new smell. How high of risk really depends on your deer and how spooky they are to new smells. I know at my old lease, if I put anything new out the deer and hogs would avoid that spot for a few days.
                              If the deer are that jumpy with new objects then use that to your advantage. Place corn filled pumpkins near places away from your setup and drive them past your stand while they avoid the new smell.

Comment

Working...
                              X