No announcement yet.

2021 Trad Harvest Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an awesome thread on traditional archery!

Comment

Congrats on the first trad kill! That’s a sweet pic too!

Comment

2021 Trad Harvest Thread

Well, I got very lucky this evening! I sat in the blind behind my house. Had a really nice buck that I’ve had lots of pics of come in along with several other deer. Somehow, I flubbed a 12yd shot and hit him way forward and low from where I was aiming (you can see the entrance hole in the pics). I got out of the blind and found the arrow covered in blood, and what appeared to be a really easy blood trail. Because the hit was questionable, I backed out, went to the house and made/ate supper.

About an hour later I started the tracking job in the dark. The trail was very easy to follow, but to me it looked more like a muscle hit than chest cavity blood trail. I kept moving slowly. I got to a fence about 100yds out. When I turned down the fence shining my light, I could see him in the corner about 100yds away……………..still alive and walking.

I immediately shut off the light, and stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do next. I decided to back out and wait longer. I also decided that he must have been hurting pretty bad, or else he would have jumped that fence and run off to who knows where!

After another hour, I went back to where I last saw him. The blood trail followed the fence and turned in the corner to keep following it. I found where it appeared he laid down a little ways after the turn, but he was not still there, and I couldn’t figure out where he went when he got up from that bed.

At this point, I was thinking I had lost him for good. I didn’t give up quite yet though. I went back to the fence before the corner I saw him turn at to the blood I had been following when I first saw him. This got pretty confusing, as I had thought he had walked all the way down the fence to the corner. That was not the case. The blood trail turned off into the brush before the corner. I followed it on out to the fence after the corner. And was totally confused at that point because it looked like 2 different trails crossing each other.

Again, I went back up to the first fence to reevaluate things. I was standing there and shined my headlamp around and BAM, there he was. Ended up being only about 30yds from that fence corner.

As I said above, I got real lucky. He was facing left when I shot. I missed left and low, hitting him in the front leg. Somehow the arrow went up into his neck. And in doing so, cut something lethal!

Anyway, I was very relieved to get my hands on him!!!! He’s a mainframe 8 with an extra point on his left G2, so 9pts total. He is a narrow, yet very tall rack buck. His 2’s and 3’s are pretty exceptional. If his brows were long like the rest, he’d be about perfect!

Here’s a few pics of him:

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 10-08-2021, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Beautiful buck Bisch. Perseverance paid off.
          Last edited by Horsehide; 10-08-2021, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Congratulations Bisch. He's a good looking buck. Glad it went your way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome deer Bisch, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Well, I got very lucky this evening! I sat in the blind behind my house. Had a really nice buck that I’ve had lots of pics of come in along with several other deer. Somehow, I flubbed a 12yd shot and hit him way forward and low from where I was aiming (you can see the entrance hole in the pics). I got out of the blind and found the arrow covered in blood, and what appeared to be a really easy blood trail. Because the hit was questionable, I backed out, went to the house and made/ate supper.

About an hour later I started the tracking job in the dark. The trail was very easy to follow, but to me it looked more like a muscle hit than chest cavity blood trail. I kept moving slowly. I got to a fence about 100yds out. When I turned down the fence shining my light, I could see him in the corner about 100yds away……………..still alive and walking.

I immediately shut off the light, and stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do next. I decided to back out and wait longer. I also decided that he must have been hurting pretty bad, or else he would have jumped that fence and run off to who knows where!

After another hour, I went back to where I last saw him. The blood trail followed the fence and turned in the corner to keep following it. I found where it appeared he laid down a little ways after the turn, but he was not still there, and I couldn’t figure out where he went when he got up from that bed.

At this point, I was thinking I had lost him for good. I didn’t give up quite yet though. I went back to the fence before the corner I saw him turn at to the blood I had been following when I first saw him. This got pretty confusing, as I had thought he had walked all the way down the fence to the corner. That was not the case. The blood trail turned off into the brush before the corner. I followed it on out to the fence after the corner. And was totally confused at that point because it looked like 2 different trails crossing each other.

Again, I went back up to the first fence to reevaluate things. I was standing there and shined my headlamp around and BAM, there he was. Ended up being only about 30yds from that fence corner.

As I said above, I got real lucky. He was facing left when I shot. I missed left and low, hitting him in the front leg. Somehow the arrow went up into his neck. And in doing so, cut something lethal!

Anyway, I was very relieved to get my hands on him!!!! He’s a mainframe 8 with an extra point on his left G2, so 9pts total. He is a narrow, yet very tall rack buck. His 2’s and 3’s are pretty exceptional. If his brows were long like the rest, he’d be about perfect!

Here’s a few pics of him:

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hell of a buck amigo!!! Atta boy

Comment

Congratulations Bisch!

Comment

Dang Bisch! That's a heck of a buck! Way to stick with it on the tracking job.

Comment

Congrats Bisch great deer.

Comment

Congrats Bisch, Mike, Jeff. Getting hard to keep up with

Comment

Where’s your pup ?

Comment

Congratulations Bisch, that’s a nice buck, and a real nice hunting story. That must have been an anxious supper you had, but sure worked out well for you to wait like that. Great job hanging in there to follow the blood trails and not give up until you found your deer.

Comment

Nice one Bisch. Congrats !

Big 8's are always impressive.

Rick

Comment

Awesome looking deer Bisch, and what a great story! All you guys are on a roll!

Comment

Working...
                                X