Colorado bend so- youth hunt either sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got the email that my 10 yr old daughter drew colorado bend SP for a December youth hunt! She is going to be pumped when she gets home from school!
    Anyone want to share any info about colorado bend, I’m all ears! Thanx in advance.

Good number of deer in the area. Should be a fun hunt. Cpl of threads on this if you search the history. Good luck. My son got drawn as well for Albert Bessie SNA

Comment

It is an awesome place divided up into 5 compartments. My son drew this hunt last year.

We drew compartment 3 and hunted near the parking lot of Cedar Chopper loop. It was unseasonably warm when we were there the week of Christmas and movement was slow, but Hagen managed to take a nice buck. The campgrounds are down by the river and it is really nice down there if you have camping gear/trailer/RV.

Take a pop-up blind and comfortable chairs, whatever compartment you get placed in, find sign and setup, brush the blind in really well, we put out sweet feed and corn.

I'd say the two easiest compartments are 1 and 2.

I have some maps, etc. feel free to reach out if you’d like copies. Cell service is spotty, but I used the OnX app when scouting.

Last edited by Chad C; 09-02-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Been out there a few times. Try and get by the entrance. Easiest. Tim’s place is right there. Lots of deer- too many pigs at times.

Comment

Take corn and a good pop up blind and a swivel bucket or chair. There are a lot of deer and hogs in the area, even some exotic sheep and wild goats. The food at the Bend General Store by the bridge over the Colorado river is good. If your daughter needs a blind I am only about 20 miles from Bend towards Lampasas and have one she can use. Be sure and pack clothes for hot and cold weather as it can change quickly in the area. If it is hot take insect repellant for mosquitos, ticks and red bugs. For fun you may want to take a varmint call as there are lots of grey fox and some bobcats on the area. I don't think you can shoot them but I use to take the girls and call so they could see them.
          Last edited by wilded; 09-02-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Also, If you use OnX I can send you some locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
              I just got the email that my 10 yr old daughter drew colorado bend SP for a December youth hunt! She is going to be pumped when she gets home from school!
              Anyone want to share any info about colorado bend, I’m all ears! Thanx in advance.
              My daughter drew Colorado Bend December hunt also. I’ve applied for these hunts for a few years, this is first draw success. We will be looking forward to it!

I’m sure we will see you out there.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Been out there a few times. Try and get by the entrance. Easiest. Tim’s place is right there. Lots of deer- too many pigs at times.
                They have a huge machine running all day every day chopping all cedars all along the boundary right when you cross into the park on the right. No idea how they will clean that mess up as they sawing them with 1-2' of stumps. It's a huge mess.

Maybe to the left when you cross in? Unless they start chopping there also.

Also, I've seen zero acorns or persimmon berries. I bet this is a super great hunting season. Lots of deer and they'll think they are starving after getting so fat the last 2 years.

Also, as mentioned it will either be hot or very cold/rainy.
                Last edited by RiverRat1; 09-02-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

My kids hunted there probably 6 years ago. Did a write up on thf. We drew unit 5 down on the river. Both shot bucks out of the same popup on different sits. First ones they saw as you can't be too picky. I think there were 20 kids on that hunt segment and 22 deer harvested. I can drop you a pin and get you close to our spots.

Comment

Thanks for all the insight guys! This is her first time drawing and its all she talks about!
                    Chad-I followed y'alls hunt here on TBH!! Y'all were blessed with an amazing experience, if I can duplicate that in any way I'll be the proudest dad out there!!

I'm thinking of pulling my 12' cargo trailer(i hunt and fish out of it)-its got a/c, heat and outlets etc etc in it or if I cant get a space reserved I'll come see you Tim!!

I chose December for this hunt due to all the browse and acorns we are getting this year from the rain-I didn't want an earlier hunt. Hearing that the acorns are scarce is music to my ears!
                    Chad and Mooney-sending you both p.m.'s!
                    holdin4horns-I look forward to meeting you, lets get together during the hunt! nice avatar btw
                    Tim-you might know my brother Frank(used to live in wimberly)?? Y'all might of catfished together at some point...

Comment

Great pics Chad C, that’s what it’s all about!! And a huge thanks to TOWD for putting on these youth hunts!

Comment

My granddaughter and grandson got selected also for the December youth hunt. So I guess we'll see y'all there. She is 11 and he is 13.

Comment

My daughter took her first deer in that park in 2017. It’s a great park and there were some great deer numbers. As other I’ve noted, cell service is only ok I’m some parts of the park. (The staff can help you figure with spots)

That park will always have a special place in my heart, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd really like a compartment map, if possible. Thanks, John Reno

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
                              Thanks for all the insight guys! This is her first time drawing and its all she talks about!
                              Chad-I followed y'alls hunt here on TBH!! Y'all were blessed with an amazing experience, if I can duplicate that in any way I'll be the proudest dad out there!!

I'm thinking of pulling my 12' cargo trailer(i hunt and fish out of it)-its got a/c, heat and outlets etc etc in it or if I cant get a space reserved I'll come see you Tim!!

I chose December for this hunt due to all the browse and acorns we are getting this year from the rain-I didn't want an earlier hunt. Hearing that the acorns are scarce is music to my ears!
                              Chad and Mooney-sending you both p.m.'s!
                              holdin4horns-I look forward to meeting you, lets get together during the hunt! nice avatar btw
                              Tim-you might know my brother Frank(used to live in wimberly)?? Y'all might of catfished together at some point...
                              Yes, Frank wanted to learn how to catfish so we went out a couple times. He caught on really quick! Has he caught many big ones over the last 10 years?

Comment

Working...
                              X