• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

towing a jeep?

towing a jeep to colorado. take off the driveshaft are not? thanks

N on the transfer case.

Comment

Have towed our thousands of miles behind the motorhome. No need to remove drives haft. Just read your owners manual for flat towing. Ours is neutral on transfer case, park on transmission and key left on.

Comment

No need to remove drive shaft IF, I repeat IF, it is 4WD. If it is, just put the transfer case in neutral and tranny in park.

If it isn’t a 4WD, remove the driveshaft.

I didn’t know they made 2wd Jeep’s until a few years ago when an acquaintance asked my how he was supposed to put his lifted jeep with 37” tires and 13 light bars in 4WD. I couldn’t find a lever or a button. Crawled under it and realized why.

He had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We spend alot of time RV on the road and Jeeps seem to prevail. Every owner I talked to praised the ease to tow.

Hogboy

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
            Have towed our thousands of miles behind the motorhome. No need to remove drives haft. Just read your owners manual for flat towing. Ours is neutral on transfer case, park on transmission and key left on.
            Any idea with the key is left on?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Any idea with the key is left on?
              Keep the steering wheel from locking?

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                I didn't even consider this!

Thank you

Comment

correct.....if not steering wheel will lock

Comment

I don't know about newer jeeps but on the older ones the steering wheel does not lock.
                    Check your jeep, if the steering wheel doesn't lock, don't leave the key on.

Comment

If it's like my old Jeep the key slot is in the dash and not on the steering column so no big deal. Curious why put the tranny in park though? Never had an auto transmission on a Jeep so that's a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
                        I don't know about newer jeeps but on the older ones the steering wheel does not lock.
                        Check your jeep, if the steering wheel doesn't lock, don't leave the key on.
                        I don't know how old "old" is but, my '95 YJ definitely locks the wheel if the key is not "on".

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                          I don't know how old "old" is but, my '95 YJ definitely locks the wheel if the key is not "on".
                          And that’s why I finished my answer with a question mark.

I know our 78 CJ5 doesn’t lock up and I don’t think some of the newer ones do either, but I do know there was a run of several years where they did. I just wasn’t sure what years actually had that going on.

Comment

And that’s why I finished my answer with a question mark.

I know our 78 CJ5 doesn’t lock up and I don’t think some of the newer ones do either, but I do know there was a run of several years where they did. I just wasn’t sure what years actually had that going on.
                            Good point. I have only owned this one jeep. I was also thrown by the "put transmission in Park". My little 4-banger has a manual transmission and it never occurred to me that all jeeps aren't stick. Duh. Here's my sign.

Comment

Working...
                            X