Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood?

Getting ready to slap some new floors down. Can’t decide between the two. I just can’t get past the cheaper look of the vinyl plank, but maybe it’s hard to see the whole picture with the 2x2 samples.

I’m not a fan of the vinyl plank. Looks cheap and feels cheap. But on the bright side it is not as expensive to pull out when you want to change it.

Comment

Look up regal hardwood floors
      Good stuff

Comment

We actually have the vinyl plank in our house. When its over the entire floor its different than looking at a strip. And its dang bear indestructible. We slide furniture to clean floors. Let dog Walk in with wet feet (lol). Only drawback so far is, they put it down directly on the cement. Its got a little cushion, but otherwise its pretty dang hard. But we like it.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
          We actually have the vinyl plank in our house. When its over the entire floor its different than looking at a strip. And its dang bear indestructible. We slide furniture to clean floors. Let dog Walk in with wet feet (lol). Only drawback so far is, they put it down directly on the cement. Its got a little cushion, but otherwise its pretty dang hard. But we like it.
          I agree. We had it in our home in Georgetown for probably 12-15 years. Raised a couple of kids on it and had indoor dogs (one was a lab). We had it in the living room, down the hall and in both kids rooms. It survived the kiddos and pooches remarkably well. Sold the house last year with that flooring in it w/o issue. Would it be my first choice in flooring? Probably not, but if I still had a house full of kids and dogs I’d install it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Vinyl plank will survive several water leaks without being torn up.
            Engineered hardwood will not survive several water leaks without being torn up.

Vinyl plank will show cracks in the slab as they appear during curing and settling over 10-15 years.
            Engineered hardwood will not show cracks in the slab as they appear during curing and settling over 10-15 years.

Good luck Sleepy.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-26-2021, 11:01 PM. Reason: SlabCrackSpake

Comment

We put LVP from Flooret down in our entry room as a trial. It looks the same today as it did when I installed it. We have dogs, kids, and boots tramping in and out every day, and after a quick wipe with a damp mop, it looks good as new.

Comment

We love out LVP, what we chose was a high end option and not that much cheaper than engineered hardwood. We have four kids and three dogs and it's held up to their abuse for 5 years and still looks new.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact, we will be when we build.

Comment

SPC. Find one that is registered and embossed. That market has moved away from vinyl. If going in any wet areas, definitely stay away from real wood in wet areas.

Comment

Some vinyl plank better than others. I appraise a lot of high end homes with the high dollar VP and I sometimes have to take a closer look to make sure it is not wood.

Comment

OP, you've received good repsonses about people that have LVP in their house. I'll agree to the durability, we put in our house 6 years ago.

However, I think you're gut feeling is correct, they will look/feel "cheap". Not bad, but you will know it. I don't mind it bc we are in the beginning stages of raising 3 kids and the floors will be taking continual abuse, yet they give the house a much better look than the old carpet we replaced.

So, depending on how hard you will be on them, I'd probably go with your gut feeling, pay a little more but get the look you want.

Comment

I just laid vinyl floors for my sister in her new house 2 weeks ago. It actually looks really great and feels really great. I wasn't sure before I started because it was kind of thin to me. I have laminate in my house that I put down 14 years ago and still looks new also. This is what I laid down for her. After finishing it I really like the vinyl.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
                            I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.
                            I agree with this also and put the premium stuff down for the moisture barrier. Its way thicker than normal plastic and is like extra padding.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post

This^^^ours had a cork type pad and its nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X