Fishing etiquette....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing etiquette....

It's unbelievable what people will do in the Galveston/Freeport area. Saturday, my son was wade fishing in West Bay, and a group in a boat putted 30 feet in front of him in the direction he was casting. Yesterday, my son and his buddies were hammering the trout in West Bay, and a guy throwing shrimp under a popping cork tried to get between them (they were standing less than 10 feet apart). My son told him to find his own space, and he moved down about 20 feet and began casting across them. He never had a bite, and got mad because my son's group were doing good, so he asked to see their fish, because he thought they were keeping undersized fish (all of their fish were legal). When my son told him to get lost, he called the game warden. My son and his buddies got their limit and left before the warden showed up. I swear, there are people out there just asking for an on-the-water beat down.

On memorial day I took my dad fishing (he never gets to go anymore) on Toledo Bend ( I had found an awesome spot for the shad spawn) and He reluctantly got up extra early cause I told him we need to be the first to the spot. We get to the spot, not a sole on the lake yet, sit for about 10 minutes in the dark (with our lights on) and we see a boat coming, then slowing, then stopping 20 yards away.... I am thinking to myself just keep your cool dont let these idiots ruin your day...they drift with in 10 yards of us... I am about to say somthing and dad says "hey guys yall just want to get in the boat and fish with us!" haha they looked at us mad we beat them to the spot and putted off... smh some people....we proceeded to boat 50 LMB in about 45 minutes!

Comment

It’s nit just fishing. It’s our culture these days. Across all generations(maybe not all) people feel they are entitled or its their rights. As a young man just out of college I still felt I had certain rights, even if it closed in on your rights. Like fishing too close(but I actually never did that). I grew up. Hopefully others will too.

Comment

I'm going fishing with my Dad & Brother this weekend down in Port Isabel. I haven't even left town yet and y'all are getting my blood pressure up

Comment

Happened to me last week, fishing a tiny cove in West Matagorda. Next cove to my west was 1 boat but other than that nobody for several miles... open bay. Dude comes rolling right next to me wide open, 30 yards. Shuts it down, jumps out and starts fishing.... I did 3 donuts around him and left

Comment

Left lane drivers and bad drivers
            Deer blinds on fence lines
            poaching
            non-courteous fishermen

Seems everyone thinks they are the entitled ones.

It never ends

Comment

I've fished from Galveston to San Antonio bay over the years and it's everywhere along the coast.

It's soured me in the last few years in fishing to a point.

Comment

It's getting bad. No one can just enjoy fishing these days. It's all a competition for who can "limit" and cheesy dead fish on a deck pictures. A lot of boats on the coast are pretty much just a status symbols with too many of those types of people at the helm. They don't care who's day they ruin as long as they can tell their peers they caught fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Happened to me last week, fishing a tiny cove in West Matagorda. Next cove to my west was 1 boat but other than that nobody for several miles... open bay. Dude comes rolling right next to me wide open, 30 yards. Shuts it down, jumps out and starts fishing.... I did 3 donuts around him and left
                  The thing that makes me mad is thinking/knowing idiots like this 100% think you were the bad guy. He probably started a thread about how rude you were for no reason.

And he had zero clue what he did wrong.

Comment

I use to get riled up over it but try to stay calm now. we fish the rocks on pleasure island a lot in the spring.. we bank fish and boats will troll right where you are casting.They act like they are better than you because they are in a boat. a few years back my youngest was casting and almost hit a guys boat.. the guy mouthed off and it set me off.. I almost has him talked into getting out on the rocks... It really makes em mad when they pot lick and you still catch more fish than them. Most people will pull up fish for 10 min and haul butt to another spot..

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      I've fished from Galveston to San Antonio bay over the years and it's everywhere along the coast.

It's soured me in the last few years in fishing to a point.
                      This was me bowfishing a few years ago on Lake Travis. It was fun until 3 nights in a row I had rich old ladies screaming at me and calling LEO's. I heard it all.

At first I took it as a challenge to tick them off relentlessly But then it just got old because it seemed to be a different person or group and it never ended.

The one thing I regret was I never managed to shoot enough carp/gar that I could dispose of properly on some of their docks.

Comment

If I'm catching fish and a guy near me is fishing in a manner that is compatible with what I'm doing, I'll wave him in to join me. I did this last Saturday. I was out in the middle of Christmas Bay in my kayak on a good school of trout, and I called to another kayaker to come join me. He was headed in and declined the invitation. I've receive the same courteousness myself from other fishermen. We were fishing the surf at Surfside Sunday and a guy near us was doing well, while we only had a couple fish. I gave him his space, and, when he decided to move past us, he went behind us to not interfere. I asked him what he was throwing, and he volunteered not just what he was using, but also how he was working it. If you are courteous, I'll let you fish right next to me. If you come barging in, you'll be asked to leave.

Comment

A few years ago I had an incident with 3 guys in East Matagorda bay. I'm catching fish and they rolled right up to me and started casting. I asked them whats up. One guy tells me there's three of them and one of me. So I politely invited them to the bank to discuss this further. I told them to choose wisely who got out of their boat first because I'm only good for one arse whoopin' today. I idled to the bank, they chose to leave. From that day forward I decided I wouldn't let idiots ruin my day fishing. It's your day it ruins, not theirs. I just go find another spot. ( I usually do a couple donuts on my way out though )

Comment

Monday night I was gigging a shoreline with the girlfriend. I was headed east and a flounder boat just cuts right in front of us and starts heading east also. So I just returned the favor and cranked up, got back in front of them. But eventually just moved to another spot, as I was getting ****** hearing that fan motor all night. Ended up getting on some good flounder at the my 2nd spot as well. Idiots are out there on Monday’s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It has really soured me on fishing like I used too. Alot of People just have the Me 1st attitude. Hard to go enjoy the day on the water, because of all the times I get upset with the idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X