Clear All

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    No sir.

I was out til 2am
    Good luck next time. Give ‘em heck.

KAP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
      This is the heaviest I've ever used and didn't expect the weight to be as much as it ended up.

I was maxing my draw weight at 73 lbs and had to drop it down because of some neck issues, so trying to get my speed/trajectory back up, easiest fix was to reduce the BH weight. In fact, I would like to drop the weight a little more.

I've built this arrow and bow for an elk hunt, so trying to maximize my distance. a 450 grain arrow will be no problem at 30 yards, but I'm more concerned with 60 yards even better out to 75.

Personally I like them skinny and fast...

Take this for what it’s worth...

Last year I shot a spike bull at 54-ish yards. I was shooting a 60lb rig pushing a 476gr arrow about 240fps. I was in the 17-20% foc range and shooting a 2 blade stinger. I put it through the lungs(so no heavy bone hit), and my arrow was laying about 10 yards past where he was standing. I’m kind of hamstrung to a 60lb bow, so I’ve decided I’m not going to get much more than 245-250 FPS with my draw length if I want to keep my Afro weight over 450, which I absolutely will. Just have to learn to live with the trajectory at longer distances.

FYI - I was shooting a 3 pin slider. Had my pins set at 25, 40, 50 and the top of my bubble was like 63 or something. Had to do it over again, I’d set my bubble at 60 and work backwards with 3rd pin at 50, 2nd at 40, 1rst at 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        *** hole hahahahah I'm drinking a little whiskey what is you drinking.
        I wish, I'm at work for 17 more days...

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
          Take this for what it’s worth...

Last year I shot a spike bull at 54-ish yards. I was shooting a 60lb rig pushing a 476gr arrow about 240fps. I was in the 17-20% foc range and shooting a 2 blade stinger. I put it through the lungs(so no heavy bone hit), and my arrow was laying about 10 yards past where he was standing. I’m kind of hamstrung to a 60lb bow, so I’ve decided I’m not going to get much more than 245-250 FPS with my draw length if I want to keep my Afro weight over 450, which I absolutely will. Just have to learn to live with the trajectory at longer distances.

FYI - I was shooting a 3 pin slider. Had my pins set at 25, 40, 50 and the top of my bubble was like 63 or something. Had to do it over again, I’d set my bubble at 60 and work backwards with 3rd pin at 50, 2nd at 40, 1rst at 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I'm bringing my 60 lb. bow as back up. Need to adjust my site as I've only got it set up for 20 yards and 55 yards, don't think i can shoo the gap on that difference. Have some more fine tuning to do on both my bows when I get home in July.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
            I wish, I'm at work for 17 more days...
            Dang.

Comment

here is an example of arrows being shot and tested. as you can see ke is always going up. this is why I'm saying your calculations are incorrect.
              600 grns diff and only 2lbs of ke increase? I will take my 350gr setup.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                600 grns diff and only 2lbs of ke increase? I will take my 350gr setup.
                Since we know from physics 101 that mass will always out penetrate. Is part of the reason ke should not be looked at as a penetration factor.

Your example is the prime reason. We look st numbers to see if things are correct. We know as weight goes up ke better go up or something is incorrect.

We can look at momentum which is the correct unit of measurement for penetration. But there is also lots of variables. So even building a high momentum arrow doesn't mean it will do the job.

But in the archery world we know if an arrow shot from the same bow and all other factors are the same. A heavier arrow will out penetrate 100% of the time

Comment

This is written by Fred bear. Not one time did he mention ke.

Six arrows were made weighing 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 grains each. All shooting was done from a machine so that the draw and loose would be exactly the same for each shot,

"Eight bows, varying in weight from 45 to 68 pounds were used.

"The six arrows were shot from each bow and the performance of each recorded. The results were then grouped for each arrow weight, added together and divided by 8 to give averages which revealed the following.

"The 400 grain arrow struck 20 per cent harder than the 300 grain, the 500 45 per cent, the 600 66 per cent, the 700 82 per cent the 800 100 per cent.

"In order that the reader may more completely comprehend the startling results revealed by these experiments, figure 1 shows a chart indicating the findings for each different combination.

"A study of this will show the striking force of a 500 grain arrow shot from a 61 pound bow to be less than l per cent greater than a 600 grain arrow shot from a 45 pound bow. Also that a 68 pound how with 500 grain arrow strikes less than 3 per cent harder than a 52 pound bow with a 600 grain arrow.

"The reason for this difference, of course, is because the light arrow does not absorb nearly as much of the energy of the bow as does the heavy one.

Comment

Love my legacy

Looking at fred bears test the 600gr hit 66% harder then the 300gr that’s pretty massive there. Now I’m not saying you need to hunt with a 600gr arrow. But you would see a big improvement just by adding 100 to 150 gr to your 350gr arrow.

Comment

Love my legacy

Looking at fred bears test the 600gr hit 66% harder then the 300gr that’s pretty massive there. Now I’m not saying you need to hunt with a 600gr arrow. But you would see a big improvement just by adding 100 to 150 gr to your 350gr arrow.
                      howmuch more of a pass through can I get with a heavier arrow? Just as in all things in life, to much of anything is over kill and not needed. With heavier arrows come more trajectory, thus affecting accuracy. Been getting accurate pass throughs for a long time. I started my hunting career with a 500 gr arrow and after one to many misses, it was suggested to me to go lighter...haven't looked back. If Im getting pass throughs with 350 gr arrow, why would I need anymore weight?

Trust me I get what you are saying and understand KE, momentum as a product of speed/weight, but that much weight isn't needed on what we hunt for in Tx.

No replacement for a fast, sharp, accurately placed arrow. Accuracy being KING.
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 06-10-2019, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        howmuch more of a pass through can I get with a heavier arrow? Just as in all things in life, to much of anything is over kill and not needed. With heavier arrows come more trajectory, thus affecting accuracy. Been getting accurate pass throughs for a long time. I started my hunting career with a 500 gr arrow and after one to many misses, it was suggested to me to go lighter...haven't looked back. If Im getting pass throughs with 350 gr arrow, why would I need anymore weight?

Trust me I get what you are saying and understand KE, momentum as a product of speed/weight, but that much weight isn't needed on what we hunt for in Tx.

No replacement for a fast, sharp, accurately placed arrow. Accuracy being KING.
                        Not on deer. But I’ve had hogs stop a 500gr arrow. 500 to 550 is my go to weight.

One thing people don’t think about when helping others is draw length and draw weight. I cannot do what a person can with same bow if they are 28” plus at 70lbs I shoot 66lbs at 26.5. That’s another variable that should always be looked at. So how do I get same results. By adding weight.

Here at the bow store since last year we have built several people heavier and more foc arrows. Maybe 20 people. Most was an increase of 100 to 150gr. Only one came back in. He just didn’t care for the trajectory. All others loved it.

So it’s not for everyone that is for sure. I feel when we are talking about arrows we should not trash either side of it. Give data show the person any pros and cons. Then help build a good hunting arrow.

Comment

Interesting, but limited test last night. Same bow (recurve #60) one arrow 9 gpp, one arrow 12 gpp. Shot into a bag target, the 9gpp arrow consistently out penetrated the 12gpp arrow. Shot into different places on the bag, didn't seem to matter the 9gpp always penetrated more. I know this is not a definitive test, but interesting none the less

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            Interesting, but limited test last night. Same bow (recurve #60) one arrow 9 gpp, one arrow 12 gpp. Shot into a bag target, the 9gpp arrow consistently out penetrated the 12gpp arrow. Shot into different places on the bag, didn't seem to matter the 9gpp always penetrated more. I know this is not a definitive test, but interesting none the less
                            Bags targets or most targets cannot be used for test. They are design to stop the arrow. So a faster arrow well almost always out penetrate in a target.

If you are interested to see what happens. Build a box with a cardboard window that can be replaced. Fill box with sand. Then you will see what happens.

Comment

Bags targets or most targets cannot be used for test. They are design to stop the arrow. So a faster arrow well almost always out penetrate in a target.

If you are interested to see what happens. Build a box with a cardboard window that can be replaced. Fill box with sand. Then you will see what happens.

You are probably 100 percent correct, however at this point I am not too worried about penetration. In fact, i have always gotten very good penetration on whatever i have shot. I do plan on shooting an elk this year however, so depending on outcome, i might be revisiting this line of thought haha. Have a good one

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                                You are probably 100 percent correct, however at this point I am not too worried about penetration. In fact, i have always gotten very good penetration on whatever i have shot. I do plan on shooting an elk this year however, so depending on outcome, i might be revisiting this line of thought haha. Have a good one
                                good luck with the elk hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X