Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current price of Freon

anyone have their AC charge recently?

May need to get a charge. AC has froze up.

Make sure filters and coils are clean

Comment

as stated above do all of that, if it still don't cool you will have to evacuate your a/c system and replace the expansion valve; and then recharge the system.

Comment

What would you replace if there isn't an expansion?

Comment

R22 or 410A? Big difference in price.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin View Post
            What would you replace if there isn't an expansion?
            every a/c system has an expansion valve; it is what causes the freon to get really cold. then it is forced into the condenser coil where the fan blows the cold air into the passenger compartment.

is this auto or home? above is for auto. but they all work on the same principal.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
              every a/c system has an expansion valve; it is what causes the freon to get really cold. then it is forced into the condenser coil where the fan blows the cold air into the passenger compartment.

is this auto or home? above is for auto. but they all work on the same principal.
              No, some systems use a fixed orifice to create the pressure drop.

Comment

OP if you’re still on R22 it’s going to be steep.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                  No, some systems use a fixed orifice to create the pressure drop.
                  ok glad I learned this.... i'm old school but this sounds like the same thing?? an orifice and an expansion valve are pretty much the same; right? idk.

Comment

Hopedale
                    I assume you are talking about a home unit. The refrigerant cost would depend on the type required by your system. Check for blower air flow after defrosting ice. If low on refrigerant it has a leak somewhere. Recommend leak checking. Price check a company the cost of refrigerant and service / labor before work. There are some crooks out there but most are good companies. Noted one company in Bastrop area charges $110.00 per lb. for 410A !!!! Do your homework by checking around

Comment

ok glad I learned this.... i'm old school but this sounds like the same thing?? an orifice and an expansion valve are pretty much the same; right? idk.
                      They are basically doing the same thing but a TXV has more opportunity to fail than the orifice. Reason being is a TXV throttles flow based on temperature to achieve efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                        They are basically doing the same thing but a TXV has more opportunity to fail than the orifice. Reason being is a TXV throttles flow based on temperature to achieve efficiency.
                        are we talking home or auto on the TXV? im always wanting to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                          anyone have their AC charge recently?

May need to get a charge. AC has froze up.
                          My bill was $275.... 1½ lbs + service call. Ouch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

are we talking home or auto on the TXV? im always wanting to learn something new.
                            Either one, home and auto both have variants that use fixed orifices or TXVs.

Comment

If on R22 refrigerant it can be converted to an replacement refrigerant. They sell recovered R22 now that can be reused. That decision would have to be based on amount of refrigerant needed and overall condition of existing unit

Comment

Working...
                              X