Water pipe help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pipe help

Ok question my house is 90 year old farm house on pier and beams 2.5’ of the ground.... it’s going to be welllll below the freezing mark for 5-6 days 6° the lowest! To say I’m stressing is understatement! My question is, is my thought process to open all faucets and turn off main the right decision or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn off the main and drain all the lines. You can blow them with air to clear out the water.

Comment

I've heard that unless you get all the water out it is better to leave it on and dripping.

In for a more experienced answer.

Comment

Not a straight answer sadly. Lots of variables

Comment

My house was built in 1937 , pier and beam , I have same worries, we are just cranking up the heat, no way wife and mother in law will go with out running water, if it burst or power goes out then they can go to a hotel

Comment

Just run the hot water on a trickle, NOT a drip, but a trickle, you know, a very small steady stream that you can deal with while sleeping.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the same issue. I just spoke to a plumber and husxadvice was leave several faucets dripping. He was not terribly optimistically though.

Comment

Another thing, just in case the trickle doesn't work, go now and grab all the pipe, fittings, primer and cement while you can. There is liable to be a run on them after this passes and the plumbing shelves could look like the TP and ammo isles and it may be a while before a plumber can come out.

Comment

In the same boat. Steady stream of water will be coming from several faucets, cabinets open so heat can enter and praying...

Comment

Septic?

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    I have the same issue. I just spoke to a plumber and husxadvice was leave several faucets dripping. He was not terribly optimistically though.
                    You on septic tank, I am worried about leaving it on steady stream
                    For days

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      For days
                      I am... And have the same concern

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        For days

I’m on aerobic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Put a heater in the crawl space if you can.

Comment

If you don't have a low point where it will drain out. I would leave it running slowly and open the cabinets on outside walls in the house. If you have good underpinning and not a lot of air movement you should be ok. I bet you would almost have to cut in a drain some where unless someone already has at the low point. Maybe put a heat lamp under the crawl space I would be worried about a heater under there.

Comment

Is it practical to temporarily seal up the crawl space with plastic sheeting? 100’ roles of 6’ wide sheeting run about $30. Between the heated house above and the ground temp you will help your cause if you keep the flow of cold air out of the crawl space.

Comment

Working...
                              X