School me on electric smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on electric smokers

Many many years ago I had a small masterbuilt unit . ( 1997 ish ) I want to try my hand at smoking meats again . Jerky brisket ribs and cheese

i do not have the skill set nor do I really want to " learn wood smokers " So with that said I have done some research on the brands and models .

Masterbuilt has a nice 40 inch with blue tooth for heat / app

The glass I can see getting very dirty and maybe clean up harder .

So from here I am lost I know nothing about them other than what I have read so first hand in my opinion is always better hoped the GS crew may be of some help in my next purchase

I had a master built and it was OK… But didn't last very long. I would go with a pellet feed smoker now days, I could never get enough smoke with the chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I had a master built and it was OK… But didn't last very long. I would go with a pellet feed smoker now days, I could never get enough smoke with the chips.

2nd this. Another option is a gas smoker, I always had good luck and its "relatively" easy compared to wood. But there is a learning curve.

Pellet: Traeger, Green Mountain, Yoder.
      Gas: Home Depot special was my go to.

Comment

This item was mentioned a few times for great smoke and no having to refill so often . https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-AMNPS5...6XBR8SDWXX8B4R

I really want to keep it basic so not looked up pellet I guess more research

Comment

I have 2 (one Masterbuit and one Cookshack) and use them for general cooking as well as smoking my processed meats. If you're looking for something to impart smoke flavor an electric will do fine. If you're looking to do a brisket or pork loin and come out with that nice pretty smoke ring, it'll never happen...electric smokers dont get wood hot enough to produce the NO necessary to form a smoke ring.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by JonBoy; 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Ok so pellet all right but I am seeing that they will not drop under 150 so smoking cheese is out of the question as at 150 you will melt it

Comment

I built a smokehouse a couple years ago for smoking meat and cheese. I don't think I could really get it hot enough to COOK in, but it's great for smoking fresh sausage to freeze, cheeses etc. I've smoked sunflower seeds, chocolate, whiskey, salt, just about everything. I've never tried to cook in it, maybe I could. It's made out of cedar fence pickets. I didn't chink the cracks between them so I didn't add a smoke stack either. I use a pellet tube I bought off of amazon for about $12 and use any kind of pellets I want. Maybe build a small one for you cold smoking and a pellet grill for cooking meats?

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                Ok so pellet all right but I am seeing that they will not drop under 150 so smoking cheese is out of the question as at 150 you will melt it

An electric smoker is not going to make smoke at 150, I don't believe.

Comment

You could also get high temp cheddar cheese.

Comment

I won't smoke on anything but my Webber Smokey Mountain. Pretty dang easy to cook with, get it to temp and leave it alone. About as easy as a electric and pellet.

Comment

The electric smoker like the masterbuilt have a tube for wood chips or pellets. Doesn't work very well. Get the Amazing Pellet Smoker in the link above, place something over the top of it so the dripping grease doesn't put it out, light the AMP with a propane torch, let it burn several mins, blow it out and it will smolder like a cigar for about 4 hours, giving you all the smoke you need. I usually wrap briskets at this point.
                      Shop for wood pellet grills, smokers, and griddles. Try new recipes and learn about our 8-in-1 grill versatility. Our grills help you craft BBQ recipes to perfection.

Comment

Choose from a variety of analog and digital stainless steel smokers, perfect for your next bbq or just a family meal. We make smoking easier!

All you need right there ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          2nd this. Another option is a gas smoker, I always had good luck and its "relatively" easy compared to wood. But there is a learning curve.

Pellet: Traeger, Green Mountain, Yoder.
                          Gas: Home Depot special was my go to.

picked up a green mountain Danial boone with WiFi for a crazy low cost . Smoked two rib eyes last night WOW the pellet smoker rocks .

So now to try more things . I have a pork butt that I want to try . any tips its about 7 lbs with bone in

Comment

This item was mentioned a few times for great smoke and no having to refill so often . https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-AMNPS5...6XBR8SDWXX8B4R

I really want to keep it basic so not looked up pellet I guess more research
                            I have this and it makes a huge difference. I have the master built electric 40. The Bluetooth is pretty short range but it’s nice. I’ve done briskets, sausage, turkey and chick and it’s all come out great. Super easy and it’s really nice to put pork butts on and then not worry about feeding a fire for the next 22hrs when theyre done

That being said I’d probably but a pellet grill next time but still use the amps tray. It is nice though being able to smoke something and still have my gas grill available

Comment

You actually can smoke cheese on them very well. You just turn the switch on so that the fan comes on but don’t hit start. Fill an Amazen tube with the pellets of your choice and smoke away.the tube provides the smoke with almost no heat and the fan keeps the smoke moving so that you don’t get stagnent smoke.

Comment

Working...
                              X