Wet Aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Aging

Here’s a really good article about wet aging venison. I’m definitely going to be trying it

Aging meat isn’t really optional when it comes to wild game. For lean, tough cuts that hunters are familiar with, this is a necessity to create a quality end product. There are two types of aging, each with their own pros and cons. Dry aging is considered to be the traditional form of aging. For...

Good read. Before I read this I already was going to age my venison longer this year.
    Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
      Good read. Before I read this I already was going to age my venison longer this year.
      Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Same for me. I liked seeing the results. 21 days it is haha

Comment

Thanks for posting that, interesting read

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I age mine in a walk in cooler 21 days. Can't beat it.

Comment

Interesting,thanks!

Comment

Thanks for sharing... I am on day 19 of 28.

Comment

Well written and good reading. Thanks.

Comment

I just put a 7 bone prime in fridge for christmas

Comment

Ok. I’m posting up some of my results as well. I don't have any pics, but wet aging has been a game changer! I did backstraps from 3 different whitetail bucks (two of my brothers, and one of mine) and aged them for two weeks before freezing. I’ve made steak Diane, fajitas, and stroganoff, all the best whitetail I’ve ever had. Today, I put my experiment one step further. I just ate a bit of whitetail backstrap that I aged for 30 days. Very tender, great flavor! Every bit as good as axis. If you have room in your fridge, do it! Highly recommend

Comment

I wet age my briskets. I keep them in the crying-bag at the back of the freezer for up to 30 days past the sale by date. They seem to have a “beefier” taste and far more tender. Makes sense it would benefit venison too

Comment

Best to get them out of any plastic and wrap in cheese cloth. I have a fridge dedicated to it. I’m trying jerky for first time. Muscles been in about 3 weeks. Gonna slice and season maybe tomorrow

Comment

I'm assuming the outside of the meat turns grey. Do you trim that off before cooking (get down to the pink again), or do you just cook and eat the grey part too?

Comment

Interesting. I have been aging my backstrap, loins, steaks and roast similar to this for over 20 yrs. I keep in zip bags, drain the blood out and pat with paper towels every other day. It averages about 20-23 days for me. I am looking for a certain sweet smell and then I prep for freezer storage.

Fridge temp kept at about 34 degrees.

I would bet big money that my backstrap out of the freezer 2 yrs old will win every time ( tender and taste) over a fresh backstrap off a yearling
                              Last edited by dbaio1; 01-23-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X