Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Tex
Default Summer Showcase Baseball

Anyone playing summer showcase baseball yet? We are 3 tournaments in and it’s been pretty good. We have been playing 5 Tool and 2D sports and all the fields have been pretty nice and pretty good competition. My son is a 2024, but has been play 2023 group for better experience for HS ball.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

No more for me. My kid flew into Maryland today and pitched an inning tonight for the team he was placed on. I can say skipping some of those July weekends is not gonna hurt my feelings. Enjoy it - time goes by quick. We may go up the Maryland for a week and watch some but it will be different
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

First tournament for my boy this weekend and so far so good. He was in Cameron TX yesterday and Belton at MHBU today. They are back in Cameron tomorrow. Summer ball is a different animal for sure, but I enjoy how laid back it is. My boy is playing on a 2023 team for USA Prime. Who are you guys with Grant?
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #4
em12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County, Meridian

We were canceled last weekend in Schulenberg La Grange area and jumped in the 17/18 bracket in Cleburne last weekend. This weekend we’re back in La Grange and Schulenberg getting ready for 5 Tool in Melissa all next week. We’ve seen one good arm this weekend 1st game, he only went 50-60 pitches in prep for 5 Tool next week as well….. best team I’ve had in about a decade, will be a fun summer…. I have a new 16 year old group every summer.
em12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by em12 View Post
We were canceled last weekend in Schulenberg La Grange area and jumped in the 17/18 bracket in Cleburne last weekend. This weekend we’re back in La Grange and Schulenberg getting ready for 5 Tool in Melissa all next week. We’ve seen one good arm this weekend 1st game, he only went 50-60 pitches in prep for 5 Tool next week as well….. best team I’ve had in about a decade, will be a fun summer…. I have a new 16 year old group every summer.
What's your team's name?
Old 06-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
em12
Ten Point

Waco Storm Astros. We have a few different 16’s, we had a prime team out of Houston second game yesterday. Pretty good ball club, I enjoyed their coach.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
First tournament for my boy this weekend and so far so good. He was in Cameron TX yesterday and Belton at MHBU today. They are back in Cameron tomorrow. Summer ball is a different animal for sure, but I enjoy how laid back it is. My boy is playing on a 2023 team for USA Prime. Who are you guys with Grant?
We are on a 2023 team at Dynasty in Kingwood.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
Grant2
Ten Point

Well we are off to Louisiana again next week. We will be at MaNeese,Lamar and Westfield hope the big kid keeps it going. He is having a blast playing against these older young men.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

My kid is 2023 and we got spanked our first tournament a few weeks ago 0-4. Got to play at DBU today and won. So good start to this tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #10
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Waco Storm Astros. We have a few different 16’s, we had a prime team out of Houston second game yesterday. Pretty good ball club, I enjoyed their coach.
Was the coach's name Johan? My son played on that team last summer, but is on a different 16u Prime team this summer. If you guys played Johan's team they are a salty little squad.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:02 PM   #11
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County/ Out West

Gents, as a guy who played baseball every weekend from the time I was an 8th grader until I got out of high school. I mean every weekend unless the weather sucked and a tourney got canceled… then was fortunate to play through out college. Make sure your boys WANT to play as much as they are about to start playing. I loved the game, loved the relationships I formed through the game, and got a lot out of the game. But I had zero life outside of baseball for those years that I pursued it. Looking back I realize that I was pushed and made to feel like baseball was life. If I was slumping at the plate my home life was solely focused on why I was slumping. I’m thankful that I was able to travel and get in front of the right people to help me along in my career, but sometimes I wonder if it was all worth it. It takes work and sacrifice from the parents and the kids to be successful these days. Just make sure your kids know that you are on their side whether they play ball or not. It’ll mean a whole heck of a lot to them.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Jacker i could not agree more. I went through it. Kid just went through it and is actually in Maryland playing for his “Summer Off” time. We dont talk much baseball and when he was younger and traveling everywhere we went to places to eat that were on Food Network. I tried to make it not about baseball as much as I could.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #13
Game Time
Four Point

Hunt In: McMullen

Solid advice from Jaker......absolutely nailed it!
Game Time is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
7sdad
Ten Point

Jaker is correct and my son went though it all but If I had to do it all over I'd spend all that money on lessons and let him play with his friends. Lessons will get them good and if they are good the right people will find them in High School.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Idaho

Just got home from the Pudge Rodriguez World Series in Melissa. Impressive group of 2023 teams. College coaches were packed in there every day. Back to Tomball next weekend. Ready for September 1st so we can go see some schools and get this over with.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #16
tonyt79
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
Just got home from the Pudge Rodriguez World Series in Melissa. Impressive group of 2023 teams. College coaches were packed in there every day. Back to Tomball next weekend. Ready for September 1st so we can go see some schools and get this over with.

How did y’all end up doing there? We were asked to move to another tournament based on the results of our first tournament of the season . Looked like some good baseball played from what I have seen and heard.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
glen
Pope & Young

7s- hard to get seen in High School. College season is running at same time. If you are top 6’06” throwing mid 90s sure you will get seen. Most kids gotta get seen by next level coaches during Summer
Old 06-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #18
c3products20
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
7s- hard to get seen in High School. College season is running at same time. If you are top 6’06” throwing mid 90s sure you will get seen. Most kids gotta get seen by next level coaches during Summer
Don't colleges have scouts?
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #19
HFD38
Four Point

Hunt In: Trinity/Centerville

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3products20 View Post
Don't colleges have scouts?
In my experience colleges have 3-5 coaches one or more of which may handle most of the recruiting. Glen is correct most college recruiting takes place during the summer. College coaches will be busy at their own games during the spring and may catch a high school game if they are playing in the same city as a high school kid they are recruiting. My son played high school ball on a very good 6A team in one of the toughest districts in the state and in those four years i can count on one hand how many college coaches were at any of the games.

Last edited by HFD38; 06-18-2021 at 12:49 PM.
HFD38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #20
c3products20
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFD38 View Post
Glen is correct most college recruiting takes place during the summer. College coaches will be busy at their own games, they may catch a high school game if they are playing in the same city as a high school kid they are recruiting. My son played high school ball on a very good 6A team in one of the toughest districts in the state and in those four years i can count on one hand how many college coaches were at any of the games.
I played with and against a few guys that are or were in the bigs and the stands were crowded with scouts and radar guns in summer and during season.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #21
c3products20
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFD38 View Post
In my experience colleges have 3-5 coaches one or more of which may handle most of the recruiting they don't call them scouts. Glen is correct most college recruiting takes place during the summer. College coaches will be busy at their own games during the spring and may catch a high school game if they are playing in the same city as a high school kid they are recruiting. My son played high school ball on a very good 6A team in one of the toughest districts in the state and in those four years i can count on one hand how many college coaches were at any of the games.
Not saying your wrong just my experience.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #22
HFD38
Four Point

Hunt In: Trinity/Centerville

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3products20 View Post
Not saying your wrong just my experience.
HFD38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #23
glen
Pope & Young

College use their assistant coaches and pitching coach as a scout. Head coach takes off. Scouts you see during High School games are usually paid scouts (professional team paid). These guys often have college programs they also talk to when they see a kid that projects but not high enough for draft now but maybe in future.

The bigger the tournament facility the better for a college coach. If they can goto a complex with 8 games going thats even better. Atlanta for example. They can go in and watch 8 teams at a time with just a little walking and all the graduating age they are in need of

If a HS kid is mid 90s throwing from the left side he is gonna pack the stands on Christmas eve with scouts if he is scheduled to be on the bump

Last edited by glen; 06-18-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #24
speck1
Ten Point

NCAA did not open up recruiting until June 1st of this year. All scouting this past spring was done by video. There were no college coaches in the stands unless they had a kid on the team. They are in full press mode right now to get out and see these kids in person. My son had multiple offers just off of video. Several of those coaches came to watch him play this week. It’s hard to believe they would offer without seeing them play in person but that’s the way it was for the last year. The summer is absolutely where the majority of recruiting takes place. I saw 50+ college coaches at the Pudge this week. The area code tryouts in Waco Wednesday were loaded with MLB scouts and college coaches. They concentrate their effort where they can see the most players at one time.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #25
em12
Ten Point

Quote:
NCAA did not open up recruiting until June 1st of this year. All scouting this past spring was done by video. There were no college coaches in the stands unless they had a kid on the team. They are in full press mode right now to get out and see these kids in person. My son had multiple offers just off of video. Several of those coaches came to watch him play this week. It’s hard to believe they would offer without seeing them play in person but that’s the way it was for the last year. The summer is absolutely where the majority of recruiting takes place. I saw 50+ college coaches at the Pudge this week. The area code tryouts in Waco Wednesday were loaded with MLB scouts and college coaches. They concentrate their effort where they can see the most players at one time.
We were at the Pudge classic- it was a great tournament- and I’ll double what he said on full court press right now as they were just allowed to get back out due to COVID. A LOT of very good teams with upper 80’s arms already commited we’re playing consolation games yesterday. The guys we faced last night on the mound were Stanford and Rice commits playing in a consolation game….. who were you with?
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #26
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree, if your good and you are putting up the numbers they will find you. They were scouts at every one of my sons games starting from the time he was on JV. Not all looking at him because we have several good players but they do some. They also read the paper and know what team has what.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #27
glen
Pope & Young

Without a doubt. If your an arm throwing over 92-93 in HS they will find you. Kids that will make D-1 squads first year they will usually find. D-2, D-3, Juco guys not so much. Point is not many college coaches will be able to attend HS games.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #28
em12
Ten Point

Quote:
Without a doubt. If your an arm throwing over 92-93 in HS they will find you. Kids that will make D-1 squads first year they will usually find. D-2, D-3, Juco guys not so much. Point is not many college coaches will be able to attend HS games.
I couldn’t agree with Glen more, the top percentage of kids will always be found regardless…..

It is all of the mid range guys who more or less have to help recruit themselves and find the right fit.

7’s dad this is my 18th summer coaching select ball and I coached high school and college ball for a decade, I have an incredibly hard time believing you had scouts at your JV high school games with any sort of regularity- I know first hand there just flat out isn’t enough time for that to be a reality. And if you had those dudes that deserved to be scouted at that age what kind of school was he at where they weren’t on varsity……

I did not mean for that to come across in a disrespectful rude way….. so I apologize if it did.

Last edited by em12; 06-18-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #29
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
We were at the Pudge classic- it was a great tournament- and I’ll double what he said on full court press right now as they were just allowed to get back out due to COVID. A LOT of very good teams with upper 80’s arms already commited we’re playing consolation games yesterday. The guys we faced last night on the mound were Stanford and Rice commits playing in a consolation game….. who were you with?
TEST baseball 2023. We lost a heartbreaker in a 9 inning tiebreaker yesterday. We had it won and would have had a bye into the semi on our side. Went 2 and 2. Both losses were by one run. What team were you with?
Old 06-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #30
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Quote:
TEST baseball 2023. We lost a heartbreaker in a 9 inning tiebreaker yesterday. We had it won and would have had a bye into the semi on our side. Went 2 and 2. Both losses were by one run. What team were you with?

Looks like y’all lost a close one to ubc Reyes. I know Rico and a bunch of those boys. My son plays for ubc Tompkins.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #31
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
Looks like y’all lost a close one to ubc Reyes. I know Rico and a bunch of those boys. My son plays for ubc Tompkins.
The tie breaker they used was bases loaded one out. Didn’t favor us where we were in the lineup. We actually lost on a bases loaded walk on a 3-2 pitch. They were the home team. Pretty sure the ump was tired of the marathon game. All the teams we played were solid. I prefer the wood bat format anyway. I will keep an eye out for the Tompkins team down the road. We will be in Tomball next weekend.

Last edited by speck1; 06-18-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #32
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Same thing happened to us last night. It sucks to lose in a California tie break format, but I get why they have to do it.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #33
c3products20
Eight Point

Quote:
The tie breaker they used was bases loaded one out. Didn’t favor us where we were in the lineup. We actually lost on a bases loaded walk on a 3-2 pitch. They were the home team. Pretty sure the ump was tired of the marathon game. All the teams we played were solid. I prefer the wood bat format anyway. I will keep an eye out for the Tompkins team down the road. We will be in Tomball next weekend.
How long do you think there will still be umpires actually on the field? Especially college and pro level? They turn to video review for all the calls on the bases. If they did away with the guy behind the plate it would eliminate all human error from calling balls and strikes.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #34
Grant2
Ten Point

Just got the schedule a lot of driving on this one jumping school to school. Starts on Thursday and play one game every day some fields 120 miles apart crazy schedule.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #35
Grant2
Ten Point

Not many people playing showcase baseball I guess or at least not yet. We have 2 more weekends left then off for fall to get stronger with strength and conditioning to get ready for HS school ball. This has been a big change from the select world one game everyday is a lot different format.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #36
cwill
Ten Point

My boy plays his last summer showcase tournament this weekend and then a much needed break. To me this summer was kind of a wash. Really unorganized tournaments with little to no exposure from what I could tell. The rain didn't help much either. We'll just keep working and see what happens!
Old 07-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #37
tonyt79
Ten Point

Last tournament this weekend, we didn’t play as well as I thought we should have.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #38
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Not many people playing showcase baseball I guess or at least not yet. We have 2 more weekends left then off for fall to get stronger with strength and conditioning to get ready for HS school ball. This has been a big change from the select world one game everyday is a lot different format.
We have been running all summer at some of the bigger events in the country. I left Austin on June 7th with my 2022 son. We played in Atlanta back to back weeks with a flight from Atlanta to Boston in between to train. Then drove from Atlanta to Cary, NC for a tourney at USA baseball. From Cary to Hoover, AL where we won it all and then back to Atlanta for the WWBA. Got back to Austin last Tuesday and went to Dallas on Friday to play. Wrapped up Monday there and head out to Phoenix on Sunday for our last scheduled tourney. It’s been a great ride!

Last edited by TXJIM; 07-22-2021 at 09:42 AM.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #39
speck1
Ten Point

Finish this weekend at the 16u Premier state tourney in Franklin. It’s been a fun summer but seven weeks in a row out of town is enough for me.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #40
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
My boy plays his last summer showcase tournament this weekend and then a much needed break. To me this summer was kind of a wash. Really unorganized tournaments with little to no exposure from what I could tell. The rain didn't help much either. We'll just keep working and see what happens!
Think I have to agree on this myself. I have seen a few scouts here and there, but nothing to brag about. I thought we would have seen more in Louisiana, but nope maybe 2 at most. We had a group go to Atlanta and they where disappointed in that as well no exposure at all on certain fields as you would think for the cost of that tournament there should have been more at every location.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #41
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Think I have to agree on this myself. I have seen a few scouts here and there, but nothing to brag about. I thought we would have seen more in Louisiana, but nope maybe 2 at most. We had a group go to Atlanta and they where disappointed in that as well no exposure at all on certain fields as you would think for the cost of that tournament there should have been more at every location.
We just wrapped up our last tournament and unfortunately it was more of the same. We've pretty much played all RBI Texas tournaments, but did play one PG event. My son got alot of reps, got better, and had fun so it was a success from that perspective!
Old 07-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #42
Mambajeep
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
We will have to agree to disagree, if your good and you are putting up the numbers they will find you. They were scouts at every one of my sons games starting from the time he was on JV. Not all looking at him because we have several good players but they do some. They also read the paper and know what team has what.
Read the paper? Are we talking about recruiting in 2021? 99 percent of recruiting is now showcase clinics/camps/leagues and online profiles that can be sent straight to the college coach’s desk year around.
Mambajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #43
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Some of my best memories come from summer time travel ball!! Enjoy it.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #44
glen
Pope & Young

Hate hearing the events didnt have alot of eyes. Problem is most programs are stacked and backlogged. Covid strikes again and some good ball players will never get a chance at next level. The portal has alot of kids as well. Kids that got signed before Covid and now there is not a place for them there. Good luck
Old 07-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #45
speck1
Ten Point

I have seen lots of coaches at every event we have played this summer. They have an idea who they want to see and what teams. They don’t watch every game. PBR underclass at A&M this Tuesday will probably have 30 plus coaches there. When two teams with lots of prospects match up there are always lots of coaches. My son is a 2023 so we are hoping some of the player backlog starts to clear. Need a full draft next year for sure.