Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
MikeyG
Ten Point

Default Tell me about your home energy back up system

Iím searching for a solution for our new home in the country. Itís electric only. No propane tank (yet unless needed).
Electric fireplace- the only thing I donít like about the house.
On a well/septic.
I know the winter storm was a ďonce in 100 yearsĒ, but Iím not chancing it.

So what do you use? Propane/stationary generator? Solar with battery storage? Something else?

Iím just looking for an back up, not trying to go off grid or sell energy back (unless it makes sense).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

If you already have a decent-sized tractor, look into a pto-powered generator. No engine to maintain this way. Then just make it to where the bare necessities can be transferred to it.

Otherwise, propane-powered standby is the way to go but way more $$
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Transfer switch and 10,000 watt gas generator. Just fill up ethanol free fuel cans before the storm (with TBH weather folks, usually know when to prep 12-24 before the rest of society). That gets us a week of power to do nearly everything in our house, including AC.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Home Depot sells the DuroMax gens that are duel fuel (propane and gas) and electric start with recoil backup. I havent seen them in store but theyve got them online. I just picked one up and its enroute to the local store.

To answer your specific question...portable gen and extra fuel.
Briar Friar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Sorry for the big pictures.
My wife's friend has this set up, pull the gen outside and plug it in.

Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

We got the whole home 22K natural gas generator. Never dreamed it would save us during a winter storm................
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

22 K generac with 1000 propane.
Auto switch
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #8
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

22kw propane whole house with auto transfer switch here....
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
MikeyG
Ten Point

So, no to solar?

Did yíall bury your propane tank?

Old 06-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

For an all electric house, if you want much, itís gonna cost you.

Look into a proper standby generator. Natural gas or propane, whichever works best for you.

If your house has a gas service, you can get by with a portable unit. I can power everything in my house during the winter. I need to test it in the summer.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #11
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I raise and close my windows as needed.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #12
cashcropper
Ten Point

First decide what your needs will be. Do you want to run the whole house or only necessary things? Central A/C or window units? We decided at our place(all electric) that we would rather turn off breakers to Central A/C, electric stove,dryer and water heater and run window unit,lights,fans, freezer and fridge on a 6500 watt gas genny. Had interlock switch installed already and field tested earlier this year and works well .
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
91cavgt
Ten Point

I’ve got a small solar setup. Nothing fancy and nothing expensive. With an all electric house, it can run our fridge indefinitely, and a couple of lights and/or small fans. It was gonna cost $2k to run electricity to our shed so instead I put together a system that could be duplicated for about the same price. So in the mean time, in the shed this setup runs an 8k btu window unit, lights, fan, and keeps my tool batteries charged. It makes it a LOT nicer to work on projects.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #14
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

How new are you talking?
If you have lived there a year or 2, you can check with your provider.. if you have a smart meter, they can tell you what your max peak demand was.. by the day. If a 16kw unit will handle your peak loads.. i would suggest a 16kw Generac autoxfer propane unit.. having the extra propane would give you an alternative fuel source, you can get a hose to fill cylinders for your grill, turkey/fish fryer.
If you oversize the generator, you are just burning more fuel.. thus costing more per hour to run it.
Zmaxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #15
MikeyG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
How new are you talking?
If you have lived there a year or 2, you can check with your provider.. if you have a smart meter, they can tell you what your max peak demand was.. by the day. If a 16kw unit will handle your peak loads.. i would suggest a 16kw Generac autoxfer propane unit.. having the extra propane would give you an alternative fuel source, you can get a hose to fill cylinders for your grill, turkey/fish fryer.
If you oversize the generator, you are just burning more fuel.. thus costing more per hour to run it.

House was built in 2018. Iíd have to get a consultation to understand what I have as Iím not educated in that space.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #16
MikeyG
Ten Point

Iím ready for your suggestions on reputable sales folks to call.
The generator/solar industry seems like thereís some room for shade trees.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 PM   #17
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
If you already have a decent-sized tractor, look into a pto-powered generator. No engine to maintain this way. Then just make it to where the bare necessities can be transferred to it.

Otherwise, propane-powered standby is the way to go but way more $$

This works well but make sure you have high temp and low oil shutdown systems installed
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #18
bboswell
Pope & Young

We are gas cooking, wood burning & gas heat, have 17kw whole house generator, full garden, freezer full of game and 1000gal propane tank kept full to run it all going
Old 06-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #19
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Looking to put together what Bassdeer's friend did.

About all I can afford right now. System that can backfeed the house in an emergency.

Long term I'm looking into a solar system with battery backup.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 11:40 PM   #20
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then Iíll get it all setup
Attached Images

RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 05:27 AM   #21
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I have two generators that total up to about 20kw. Presently just one transfer switch that will handle four circuits. Next step is to get a transfer switch that allows me to switch the entire panel over to generator or line voltage. That way I can pick and choose which circuits to leave on. I don't necessarily want or need to use both generators for short term power outages. The mess this past February didn't cause enough of a problem to even use one generator. Our home is all electric and has a wood stove for supplemental heat. Our biggest mistake when building was to install heat pumps. They are pretty useless below thirty-five degrees.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #22
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

What does it cost to get a. Transfer switch installed. Anyone know someone here in the DFW area that could install one

Bought a 10k dual fuel gen. Would like to get it all installed before the summer heat outages
warrington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #23
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
What does it cost to get a. Transfer switch installed. Anyone know someone here in the DFW area that could install one

Bought a 10k dual fuel gen. Would like to get it all installed before the summer heat outages
Around $1500.00
Get a whole home surge protector installed also. It's cheep................
Old 06-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #24
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

Warrington, much depends on your current set up, what meter and panel (panels) you have. The largest outlet on your generator should be a 14-50r receptacle, (125/250v 50amp 4 wire).. so you will need the 50amp rated power inlet..

There are many types of transfer switches, much depends on which one you want.

Call 3 electrical contraxtors.. get written quotes, not estimates.

Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 06-13-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #25
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then Iíll get it all setup
That it huge..................
Old 06-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #26
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

I already have a 5500k generator. From what I ve seen and read a 7000-7500k will run everything in a regular size home. My question is can my 5500 with a transfer switch installed, run my entire 1500 sq ft house?
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #27
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

You need to do a load calculation.
No, you cannot be washing clothes with a load in the dryer, while you have a turkey in the oven and take a shower with an electric water heater.. meanwhile, its 100 degrees and you have the AC on..
Your 5500watt gen is only about 22 amps of 120/240 power.
The 7500watt will get you 31.25, max. Which will do a lot, just not all at the same time.. the 40kw unit above would run it all.. and then some.
So many variables.. do you have a well? Do you have NG for cooking, heat, and a water heater?
Total electric homes require larger generators..its all based on demand.. how many watts of electricity do you want, vs. have to have.. are you trying to run it all.. or only the essentials on a part time basis.

Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 06-13-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #28
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
You need to do a load calculation.
No, you cannot be washing clothes with a load in the dryer, while you have a turkey in the oven and take a shower with an electric water heater.. meanwhile, its 100 degrees and you have the AC on..
Your 5500watt gen is only about 22 amps of 120/240 power.
The 7500watt will get you 31.25, max. Which will do a lot, just not all at the same time.. the 40kw unit above would run it all.. and then some.
So many variables.. do you have a well? Do you have NG for cooking, heat, and a water heater?
Total electric homes require larger generators..its all based on demand.. how many watts of electricity do you want, vs. have to have.. are you trying to run it all.. or only the essentials on a part time basis.
I would say summer would want to run central AC, fridge, freezer, septic and lights. Heat,lights septic during winter. Total electric home. Looks like I need a bigger generator!

Last edited by Abcdj; 06-13-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #29
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
I would say summer would want to run central AC, fridge, freezer, septic and lights. Heat,lights septic during winter. Total electric home. Looks like I need a bigger generator!
Or do like what Iíve seen suggested. Keep an 8k btu window unit a/c for power outages. If the power goes out, slap the window unit into a living room window. Close all other doors in the house and only cool that one area. A 5k generator can run that a/c, some lights, a fan or two, and a fridge.

But if you go this route then you need to store at least a tank or two of gas for it.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #30
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

We have a generac 22k that runs on propane since we are very rural. Approximately 4.5 years no trouble yet. I have it serviced once a year. We also lose our electricity above average than most due to all the trees and above ground utilities.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #31
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
I have two generators that total up to about 20kw. Presently just one transfer switch that will handle four circuits. Next step is to get a transfer switch that allows me to switch the entire panel over to generator or line voltage. That way I can pick and choose which circuits to leave on. I don't necessarily want or need to use both generators for short term power outages. The mess this past February didn't cause enough of a problem to even use one generator. Our home is all electric and has a wood stove for supplemental heat. Our biggest mistake when building was to install heat pumps. They are pretty useless below thirty-five degrees.

We never kicked on the aux heat strips on our heat pumps. It was -3 for a while here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
22 K generac with 1000 propane.
Auto switch
I have the same generator. Wish I had done a much larger propane tank. We only did 250 gallons which wonít last long.

Quote:
Sweet! Iím considering selling my 22.5k Generac and replace it with one of the Cummins/Onan units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
So, no to solar?

Did yíall bury your propane tank?

Definitely no to solar for backup unless you plan to install a huge battery bank along with it.

Our tank is buried.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #33
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post

Ours system was a bundle...all installed...22kw, 250 l.p. tanks(so we can pick who fills it) transfer switch...all installed and running...8k....we can run full house is summer....but need to use space heaters in cold....like when it snowed...
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #34
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Definitely no to solar for backup unless you plan to install a huge battery bank along with it.

I have an off grid shed/work shop powered by solar and I agree with this.

Unless you have a large battery backup then if the power goes out then your power goes out too. Thatís why a lot of people that have solar panels on their roof were so mad in February.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #35
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I have the same generator. Wish I had done a much larger propane tank. We only did 250 gallons which wonít last long

When we added the backup generator I upped our propane from 250 to 500, after getting low during the freeze I upped it to 1000 gal of propane and I keep it 3/4 full
Old 06-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #36
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Looking to put together what Bassdeer's friend did.

About all I can afford right now. System that can backfeed the house in an emergency.

Long term I'm looking into a solar system with battery backup.
Forgot to add he has $1500 in the whole deal
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 05:06 AM   #37
JVasquez
Ten Point

Honda eu7000 with soft start capacitor.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #38
Dieselman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell

Quote:

Good looking 40kw.

Iíve been looking at a little 20kw with transfer switch and w employees cost makes things little easier to look at too.

Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #39
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Now thatís a big boy generator.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #40
Kmiles84
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Just installed a 30 amp inlet box and interlock switch to run select circuits on my 5500 watt Champion.

Name:  AA6CC207-179D-4C68-8E2B-01FE33F83B59.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  179.8 KB
Kmiles84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #41
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

12,500 watt dual fuel Westinghouse generator. Interlock kit on the 200 amp panel, 50 amp inlet box, 50 amp generator cord. We are installing an extra riser and regulator off our 500 gallon propane tank for the dual fuel generator. I have a smaller 4000/3500 watt generator for a back up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #42
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

Just purchased a Duromax 5500 yesterday and will be installing the interlock soon. All circuits that I plan on using will be marked on the panel box and others will be turned off when on generator power. I have a 2nd, smaller North Star generator to use if needed.
dawgkllr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #43
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

https://youtu.be/KYBIQlLMImw
There is a reason the comments are turned off.
Please do not follow this idiots instructions/advice.
"Pro-tip"😂 hes a fool.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #44
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Kohler 20kw natural gas generator with transfer switch.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #45
Chad74
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Home Depot sells the DuroMax gens that are duel fuel (propane and gas) and electric start with recoil backup. I havent seen them in store but theyve got them online. I just picked one up and its enroute to the local store.

To answer your specific question...portable gen and extra fuel.
My FIL bought one of these and two 40 or 60 bs propane bottles.
Chad74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #46
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

20kw whole home with a big propane tank.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #47
TA_Fab
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
12,500 watt dual fuel Westinghouse generator. Interlock kit on the 200 amp panel, 50 amp inlet box, 50 amp generator cord. We are installing an extra riser and regulator off our 500 gallon propane tank for the dual fuel generator. I have a smaller 4000/3500 watt generator for a back up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Iíve been eyeballing that Westinghouse. I think this is exactly what we are going to do.

TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #48
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad74 View Post
My FIL bought one of these and two 40 or 60 bs propane bottles.
80 to 120gln of propane will last approx. 32 to 48 hours of continuous run time.. based on 2.5gln per hour.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #49
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Iím ready for your suggestions on reputable sales folks to call.
The generator/solar industry seems like thereís some room for shade trees.

Call Loweís and they will send a sales rep out. We were quoted $11,000.00 for a 22k whole house generator. I currently have a 11,000 starting, 10,000 running watt generator with a transfer switch. I think we payed around $1100.00 for installation. Btw, I think Loweís purchases their Generacs fro the GenerTor Supercenter in Houston.
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #50
Barrett
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tarpley

Quote:
Curious why you went with Cummins and not a Generac or another brand? Iím looking at putting one in new ranch house but just started researching.
Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top