Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-09-2021, 09:23 PM   #101
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
Bill, I may need to plan a hunt with you, but not with scoring a bearskin rug in mind. I might need to use your woods as a hideout.

If -- due to excessive guitar practice -- Lady fingers become sore and unable to send bullet or shot downrange, she may seek to punish the closest individual responsible for that calamity. And as Lady has noted, that would be me. Hell has no fury like a woman scorned, except for a Texas woman who loves her firearms but who cannot use them. Now Texas is a BIG state, sadly not big enough for me to successfully go on the lam hiding from an annoyed Lady. So if Lady does not find the appropriate balance between her new guitar and her guns, I may need to quickly put the geography of several states between us. Ending up in a bear camp in Montana sounds about right.

Truth is, Iíd like to be jamming out some tunes right now with Lady and Bill and their new guitars. Guitars are cool solo, but are really cool with several rocking around a living room or campfire. Hereís wishing happy pickiní to Lady and Bill and the others who have recently added a guitar to their family.
While itís true that there are days when I get a hankeriní to shoot somebody. Anybody, really. Iím not nearly as mean as they say.

As for being jamable? Oh, no, Iím nowhere even close! But Iíll agree to jam with you and Bill, just not until Iím very sure I wonít embarrass myself!
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #102
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hey there, Bill. In an earlier post, I thought I remembered you mentioning a website or YT channel where you found lessons for beginners that you really liked. Or perhaps it was you, Mr. Truth, who recommended an online or YT channel you felt was particularly good.

Either way, can anyone update me on the best place I can go to find lessons that are clear, relatable, and not too difficult to follow?

I still have not “cracked the case” on my guitar yet, but I spent all day today, off-and-on, brushing up on everything I’ve forgotten about music theory (you know, Every Good Boy Does Fine, etc., etc.), and now I have a headache. If you see me post a guitar for sale in the Classifieds forum, you’ll know that headache never went away.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #103
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

First- I learned (so far) I do not beed to read sheet music to start. Forget the EGBDF stuff.

Open the case and just get started strumming it.

Second- I bought my guitar from The Music Villa in Bozeman, MT. There is a fellow there who put together a whole guitar lesson program. From how to hold and tune it to playing.

The website is guitarpass.com. The first month is free, then $10.00/month if you like it.

Thereís a ton of youtube videos, but I donít want to be interrupted by advertisements, and I wanted a progression of videos, showing what I learned and what comes up next.

Thatís what I would do- try it a month and see if you think itís worth the $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #104
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Great idea. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #105
banzai
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Hi Lady. I'm in the same boat as you and Bill. One online lesson site that I like is JustinGuitar.com. His lessons are well structured from what I know from playing piano and violin as a kid and he charges based on what you want to pay. Very cool. Try it.
banzai is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 03:56 AM   #106
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai View Post
Hi Lady. I'm in the same boat as you and Bill. One online lesson site that I like is JustinGuitar.com. His lessons are well structured from what I know from playing piano and violin as a kid and he charges based on what you want to pay. Very cool. Try it.
Sounds very interesting. Will definitely check him out. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #107
Bill
Pope & Young

Default Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Update- itís a month later. Frankly, Iím glad I purchased instead of renting a guitar. If Iíd rented, Iíd have brought it back by now and said thanks but itís not something I can do. I really thought Iíd be able to play something already, and see some progress.

Itís frustrating not being able to play simple G-C-G-C chords in sequence without fumbling to position my fingers Ďmanuallyí each time without looking. Plus every time I pick up the guitar itís like Iím starting at the beginning learning.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #108
Mr. Stickers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Update- itís a month later. Frankly, Iím glad I purchased instead of renting a guitar. If Iíd rented, Iíd have brought it back by now and said thanks but itís not something I can do. I really thought Iíd be able to play something already, and see some progress.

Itís frustrating not being able to play simple G-C-G-C chords in sequence without fumbling to position my fingers Ďmanuallyí each time without looking. Plus every time I pick up the guitar itís like Iím starting at the beginning learning.

Don't give up I'ts only been a month.....trust me, you will bang your head against the wall several times. Just keep at it & one day with out even thinking about it you will be playing G-C-G-D-C-G like a pro.....then you will bang your head again when you start adding to your cord progression. You have a great lil guitar to learn on. What I have found that works is to pick it up & practice for 30 min to an hour then put it down come back later for another 30 or so. Good luck & never quit !!!!
Mr. Stickers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #109
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:

Sign up for the Justin guitar app. He has a great chord change tool that lets you track how many of each type of chord change you can do in one minute. You are able to see yourself progress, and when you can get to about 40-45 of one type of change in a minute you can usually play songs with that change. You aim for one per second but that practice will develop the dexterity and coordination, and consistent practice of all the chord changes make learning new ones easier.

I thought for about 2 solid weeks that I just wasnít cut out to play G or C...but I got em both down. Then came Dm, but I got that one down too. Now barre F, that ones giving me trouble. Going on 3 months trying to get it but itíll get there at some point.

Using Justin Guitar youíll also learn when to use power chords, how to jam with a blues backing track, and a lot of other really useful basics that get you to the point of playing some songs.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #110
txpitdog
Pope & Young

I’m not much further ahead, but I am discovering playing root-sharp 5th power chord variations and root-5th-sharp octave for some (crappy) dissonant metal rhythm stuff.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #111
whitetailtrail
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Bill,

No real advice, but keep going! I had a goal to learn it when the pandemic hit and WFH became the norm. March 2020 I picked up the guitar, recently upgraded to a Yamaha FS830 and love it. The progression is painful, but each month or so I noticed myself becoming better and things easier. Iíd then hit a new plateau and become frustrated but you get over it by just playing and sucking for a while.

What has helped me is when you mess up a chord or lose the strum pattern and suddenly your hands canít do what your brain wants is just to play through it and act like it never happened, trying to keep the timing of whatever song your playing alive.

whitetailtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #112
whitetailtrail
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailtrail View Post
Bill,

No real advice, but keep going! I had a goal to learn it when the pandemic hit and WFH became the norm. March 2020 I picked up the guitar, recently upgraded to a Yamaha FS830 and love it. The progression is painful, but each month or so I noticed myself becoming better and things easier. Iíd then hit a new plateau and become frustrated but you get over it by just playing and sucking for a while.

What has helped me is when you mess up a chord or lose the strum pattern and suddenly your hands canít do what your brain wants is just to play through it and act like it never happened, trying to keep the timing of whatever song your playing alive.

Also, I play modified chords where I lock in the 5th and 6th, and play a Cadd9 as my ďCĒ. Locking in the bottom two strings helped me tremendously. I suppose it isnít correct, per se, but it works and sounds good.

whitetailtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #113
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

Yep.....don't quit!
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #114
Bill
Pope & Young

Thanks for the encouragement and comments. I downloaded the Justin Guitar app, doing the first lesson on A chord.

Lazy day in Montana, after hitting 80 on Monday, weíre having snow. Nice to sit in a warm room and practice.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #115
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Keep doing the reps Bill and it will come. Channel your inner Hag. Lonesome Fugitive is a good GCD song to practice.

If your living room starts to look like this, you know you are making progress...............and the wife at least tolerates it.

Hogboy

Name:  Guitar room tbh.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  147.8 KB
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #116
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Learning guitar looks like this....

grind....grind.....grind.....PROGRESS!.....plateau .....grind.....grind....grind....PROGRESS!.....pla teau.....
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #117
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

I’m right there with you, Bill. I was making good progress, then developed wrist pain and hit a plateau. I think I’m going to sign up for private lessons, if for no other reason than to have someone critique and correct my form. Perhaps that’ll help.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #118
etbowhunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
Don't give up I'ts only been a month.....trust me, you will bang your head against the wall several times. Just keep at it & one day with out even thinking about it you will be playing G-C-G-D-C-G like a pro.....then you will bang your head again when you start adding to your cord progression. You have a great lil guitar to learn on. What I have found that works is to pick it up & practice for 30 min to an hour then put it down come back later for another 30 or so. Good luck & never quit !!!!
This is a great suggestion. I still do this ALOT. I've got a couple of guitars scattered around the house so I can grab one when I feel like it. Keep at it.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #119
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Learning guitar looks like this....

grind....grind.....grind.....PROGRESS!.....plateau .....grind.....grind....grind....PROGRESS!.....pla teau.....
Yep. I've been playing for 28 years and still have a lot to learn. It came in spurts for me after feeling like nothing was gained for periods of time. It's not something learned overnight and takes a little perseverance.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #120
Bill
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Iím right there with you, Bill. I was making good progress, then developed wrist pain and hit a plateau. I think Iím going to sign up for private lessons, if for no other reason than to have someone critique and correct my form. Perhaps thatíll help.
I canít find any lessons/ instructors within a 90 minute drive from where we retired. I love being in a rural area, but thereís a downside sometimes.

Iím working-thru the combination of left wrist pain and Ďmutingí issues- when a finger on a fret touches the adjacent, lower string.

Lotís of YouTubes later ( and the Justin Guitar app), I discovered if I rotate my wrist Ďoutwardsí to where the thumb is behind the neck, my fingers are at 90 degrees to the strings and I can bend the last knuckles to use the finger tips.

I donít know what the downside is of this hand position- but it seemed to eliminate the pain and muting.

To be continued.......

Old 05-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #121
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

You're doing good with that hand position, but get that index finger and ring finger off the frets (put them just behind)! Keep at it and it will get better.

I started when I was 16/17 and my first song was House of The Rising Sun on my deceased dad's beat up Recording King. I gave it up for several years, then picked it up again, then dropped off to a stand still as time didn't allow for much. Our PD had a DARE band and I started trying to play the bass for those gigs. Afterwards, I gave that up for several years again. Since retiring, I've been playing acoustic guitar and bass for the last 4-5 years with others. I might add, this playing with others has improved my knowledge, timing, and playing skills as they play real old 3 chord country and another group plays hymns, country, rock. So, this has helped me in learning the guitar/bass. I'm no rock star but I enjoy playing rhythm guitar and the bass for REAL country and some classic rock.

Check and see if there are others you can join/learn from in your area. That is much more fun than online lessons. Good luck!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #122
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
I canít find any lessons/ instructors within a 90 minute drive from where we retired. I love being in a rural area, but thereís a downside sometimes.

Iím working-thru the combination of left wrist pain and Ďmutingí issues- when a finger on a fret touches the adjacent, lower string.

Lotís of YouTubes later ( and the Justin Guitar app), I discovered if I rotate my wrist Ďoutwardsí to where the thumb is behind the neck, my fingers are at 90 degrees to the strings and I can bend the last knuckles to use the finger tips.

I donít know what the downside is of this hand position- but it seemed to eliminate the pain and muting.

To be continued.......

Oh, hay-ell no! Donít EVEN get me started on the finger fret mutation thing! Makes me SO mad!
Old 05-22-2021, 10:03 PM   #123
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:

To be continued.......

Did you have your guitar set up? I am curious because that appears to be a lot of stress and tension in your hand, which is often caused by a high action or an improperly set up guitar. Your fretting hand should be relaxed, not flexed. One thing I did when I was first learning to fret was to try and use the same part of my fingertip for fretting the 1st all through to the 6th string. It can be tricky at first, but you keep you fingers curved and relaxed the same but bring your palm closer to the neck as you go from high e to low E. Your thumb is just a rest, you should be able to fret the notes (generally, for the most part) without using your thumb. If you have wrist pain your hand is getting fatigued from flexing and keep things under stress and tension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by txpitdog; 05-22-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:08 PM   #124
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Did you have your guitar set up? I am curious because that appears to be a lot of stress and tension in your hand, which is often caused by a high action or an improperly set up guitar. Your fretting hand should be relaxed, not flexed. One thing I did when I was first learning to fret was to try and use the same part of my fingertip for fretting the 1st all through to the 6th string. It can be tricky at first, but you keep you fingers curved and relaxed the same but bring your palm closer to the neck as you go from high e to low E. Your thumb is just a rest, you should be able to fret the notes (generally, for the most part) without using your thumb. If you have wrist pain your hand is getting fatigued from flexing and keep things under stress and tension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Photo looks like physical agony.
The E string gap looks pretty good at the 3rd fret and I imagine the guitar was set up with 12's (strings). I put Martin Lite 10's on my acoustics = end of agony but a bit of tone loss.
If I were Bill I'd give the lighter strings a shot with a proper set-up.
There's around 30 pounds less stress on the neck with standard issue 12's and getting rid of that stress with 10's equals less pressure to fret.
If there is buzz at like the 10th fret let it buzz until Bill gets up in that range. A good guitar tech should know how to get the neck set for a beginner.

Last edited by Bluesman; 05-22-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #125
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

Bluesman is correct about agony. I was focused on your fingers and not your thumb, which should be on the back of the neck, not the headstock. And don't try and keep it aligned with the neck like you have it in your picture. You'll move it around to help make various chords.

You'll figure a lot of this out by just making chords and making them sound clear. Keep after it!!!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #126
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Might not help but there are multiple chords that I play ďmy wayĒ. I have given up on ďtraditionalĒ finger patterns adapted my own to make chord transitions easier for me. And also limit muting.

I look at guitar playing like archery form. If it works for you doing it the ďwrongĒ way, why change. So I find the way that works for me and go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #127
schmalzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf coast and VA

Agreed with others. Looks way too painful. Far from an expert, but I think getting a set up with lighter strings might help significantly. Are you using a pick or just finger style? Using a ďlightĒ pick might help.

I think your guitar is awesome, although Iíd at least consider looking at another guitar with a little bit wider nut. Might help with the accidental muting issues.

schmalzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #128
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmalzy View Post
Agreed with others. Looks way too painful. Far from an expert, but I think getting a set up with lighter strings might help significantly. Are you using a pick or just finger style? Using a ďlightĒ pick might help.

I think your guitar is awesome, although Iíd at least consider looking at another guitar with a little bit wider nut. Might help with the accidental muting issues.

Agree, try some ultra lights just until you get better strength and mobility in fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #129
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:

To be continued.......

Howís it coming? Getting a little easier or not so painful? Helps to focus on keeping yourself relaxed. I was all locked up and pressing as hard as possible in the beginning but that just makes it harder.

Keep at it, try playing along with some basic backing tracks on YouTube. Elevated Tracks is a good one an there are tons of others for all kinds of music.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #130
Bill
Pope & Young

Im ready to bring it with us on a trip to Bozeman and see what theyíll give me on a used guitar.

After months Iím still not able to play a Ďcleaní sounding A-D-A-D chords. Every time I pick it up my fingers donít remember where to go.

Iíd hoped it would be a relaxing learning and fun time but itís become frustrating that I still canít master the basics.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #131
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Im ready to bring it with us on a trip to Bozeman and see what theyíll give me on a used guitar.

After months Iím still not able to play a Ďcleaní sounding A-D-A-D chords. Every time I pick it up my fingers donít remember where to go.

Iíd hoped it would be a relaxing learning and fun time but itís become frustrating that I still canít master the basics.

Bill, before you sell that nice guitar let me ask this. Have you had a chance to sit down with another guitar picker and jam some tunes? There is only so much you can learn off YouTube and from books. Learning how to play a guitar is like learning how to shoot a recurve or hit a golf ball. A more experienced person can spot and correct some things that will really improve your guitar playing. Having someone sitting right next to you and getting that ďOK, now try it this wayĒ help might be all you need. Just a suggestion but why not call ahead to some of the places that sell guitars in Bozeman and see if you can schedule some time with another guitar player. Then give yourself another month or two to work on those things. Good luck, and hope you decide to stick with it for a little while longer.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #132
Bill
Pope & Young

Itís tough out here in the country to find anybody who plays the guitar.

Jam? Iím stuck at the mechanics of getting my fingers in the right places to strum a chord.

My wife searched on Google and found a fellow in Bozeman who I believe teaches music at MSU and gives lessons. I have my 1st lesson tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:28 PM   #133
etbowhunter
Four Point

Quote:

I was wondering about you the other day and how you were doing.

One thing I'd suggest is get away from the chord exercises and start "playing" some songs that you like. It's always been easier for me to see improvement that way as opposed to working on chord or finger drills. Don't worry about messing up or not sounding exactly right.

Great advice from 3Chord as well. Playing with someone else almost always makes you better. My youngest son (the best guitar / musician in the family) struggled early on with muting issues and in general chasing perfection. A buddy's dad that played with some big time players and singers in the 70s and 80s told him one evening, "quit worrying about being perfect and just play the **** guitar. Unless you play a Q#, you're the only one that usually hears the mistake so just keep going and quit starting over".

Keep your head up and keep picking. Remember you wanted to take up the guitar because you thought it would be fun and enjoyable. Don't let the chase for perfection ruin the fun of the process. Sooner or later it will click and you'll forget all about the struggles.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #134
Bill
Pope & Young

Good lesson- learned a bunch about arm and hand position. My fingers are a challenge on the 3/4 size guitar but learnable.

He said donít worry about muting other strings right now and to have fun. Those details get worked out in time. He also said to not worry about putting in the case with a humidifier- leave it out so I see it and play during the day.

Last edited by Bill; 06-16-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #135
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good lesson- learned a bunch about arm and hand position. My fingers are a challenge on the 3/4 size guitar but learnable.

He said donít worry about muting other strings right now and to have fun.

Excellent! Iíve had a number of things where I thought I would just have to enjoy guitar without doing those things (G, C, and Dm) but I just kept trying. It took me longer than it would a younger person but I eventually got em down.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #136
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Quote:

He said donít worry about muting other strings right now and to have fun. Those details get worked out in time. He also said to not worry about putting in the case with a humidifier- leave it out so I see it and play during the day.

Sounds encouraging to me..
Old 06-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #137
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:

Great news Bill, glad you got some good instruction today. Keep at it and have fun, all us TBH string strumming guitar pickers want you to stay in the club.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:46 PM   #138
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
My fingers are a challenge on the 3/4 size guitar but learnable.
Bill, I've thought all along that you need a bigger guitar with a wider neck and string spacing. It makes a world of difference. Those 3/4 size guitars are made for kids.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #139
Bill
Pope & Young

Shane, your comment is well taken.

Thanks to all for encouragement!

My short term goal is to learn D-A-E7 and play/ sing ďThis land is your landĒ with our grandson on Fatherís Day. Gotta get going!

Old 06-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #140
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Keep after it Bill. Get the guitar stand and set it up in the living room.

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 10:15 AM   #141
Bill
Pope & Young

The guitar is in the stand all the time. The finger tips on my left hand hurt but Iím seeing progress being able to place fingers on frets. Lesson 2 tomorrow.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #142
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
The guitar is in the stand all the time. The finger tips on my left hand hurt but Iím seeing progress being able to place fingers on frets. Lesson 2 tomorrow.

Awesome! Look, itís going to be like this the whole way through. Constantly working on things you canít do, but realizing you can do things that once seemed impossible. Just forward progress all the time. Recognize the times something clicks and enjoy it, but donít let the frustrating times make you quit. Have fun!
Old 06-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #143
Bill
Pope & Young

I sat on the balcony yesterday, added C and with the help of a YouTube lesson am teaching myself Ripple.

ĎNec cito, nec tardeí- Latin for nether swiftly or slowly. Somehow a phrase I remember from high school.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #144
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
I sat on the balcony yesterday, added C and with the help of a YouTube lesson am teaching myself Ripple.

ĎNec cito, nec tardeí- Latin for nether swiftly or slowly. Somehow a phrase I remember from high school.

Thatís great Bill, keep at it, and donít sell that guitar!

I would quote the Latin for ďall things are possible with a bottle of Ripple and persistenceĒ but it has just slipped my mind. Oh, you are talking about that Grateful Dead song ďRippleĒ, now thatís a great song to learn and sing. Great melody, chord progressions and really great lyrics. Learn it and play it often.

For months Iíve been telling you the three chord truth ( ), learn G, C and D7 and get a capo. Then you can strum along with 96.3% of the songs you will hear in the Western part of this planet. Learn Em and make it 100% of the songs.

Good luck, keep playing every chance you get, and know that you are making progress.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #145
banzai
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Keep going, Bill. I watched this video and it really helped me play a modified version of D, C add 9, and G with an extra B string.

I play a mini GS Mahogany bought from a TBH brother after your posts. It's a great guitar. Don't give up on you KOA mini.
banzai is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2021, 03:56 AM   #146
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Witchgrass is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #147
Bill
Pope & Young

Leaving the guitar out makes short practice sessions easy.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #148
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Leaving the guitar out makes short practice sessions easy.

There is nothing about that picture that is not right. I sure would be tempted to take a recurve and the Taylor out to your nice patio and shoot a few arrows then chord a few tunes. Bow and guitar, for me thatís living. Hope the lessons are going OK.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #149
Bill
Pope & Young

Iíve realized saying ĎIíll practice laterí does not work. Up, breakfast then guitar time. The grey cells and muscles are making connections.

Iím enjoying the deck outside before elk season (and snow). The neighborís cattle 1/4 mile below or the pair of sand hill cranes donít take notice.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #150
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

What a fantastic setting in which to practice! Keep up the good work.