Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana
Default Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Ok. Retired in Montana. House is close to finished (or close enough). I want to learn to play the guitar.

What should I be thinking for a 1st guitar? Looking at Craigslist I’m afraid I don’t know enough to buy a used one not knowing what I don’t know.

There’s a music store in Bozeman, I’m sure they have beginner guitars/ packages.

Should I be thinking ‘get a less expensive one, see if I can figure it out, and if I do sell it and buy a better one’?

Or find a used better guitar?

My grandson visited this weekend and Papa pulled his old (old) accordion and figured out how to play ‘The wheels on the bus’. 50+ years after lessons. Then I found sheet music of Ripple by Jerry Garcia which I’ve been figuring out. Sounds a lot like a mix of a Dead concert and a polka party.

Save me from the accordion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
BigOh!
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado & Lavaca Co. / McCurtain Co. OK

It's hard to beat entry level Yamaha Acoustic guitars..
BigOh! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

There are 1 or 2 good threads on here with good advice. When I thought I wanted to learn I was told to not buy the cheapest guitar I could find because they’re harder to play and will frustrate you faster. Think I bought one for about $300. Second piece of advice I got was to not buy an acoustic guitar at all. Learn how to play on an electric guitar. Much easier.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Keep playing the squeeze box!
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Big Sky Bill and the Zydeco Wranglers.
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
AfricaninTexas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin Co./ Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOh! View Post
It's hard to beat entry level Yamaha Acoustic guitars..

This

AfricaninTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Used seagull would be my pick
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Two trains of thought here IMO. 1. Start out with a cheap (sub $200) acoustic and see if you like it to progress further. 2. Buy a better guitar as they typically are easier on the hands and just overall quality. It's hard to want to learn how to play on something that won't stay in tune or the action is way too high. I'd look at either Yamaha, the DX series of Martin or something along those lines.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #9
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

If you buy a used one, look for obvious warps in the neck and that the keys are tight ...be sure it can be tuned and stays in tune after you strum it a bit.
Dugie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #10
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Yes, we need to get you away from the accordion before it turns your hair grey.

I, too, have been toying with the idea of learning to play the guitar now that I’m no longer working. Recently, a TBH member posted a guitar for sale in the Classified section that he referred to it as a “parlor guitar” and, never having heard of it before, I did a little research.

It seems that parlor guitars are great guitars for beginners and children. They’re smaller than a regular guitar making them perfect for small hands or hands that are not yet nimble enough to stretch over a larger fretboard. Their strings are supposed to be a little easier for beginners—those whose fingers are not yet calloused—to play as they’re more pliant, as I recall. Best of all, even a new guitar is relatively inexpensive...easily under $200.

Anyway, you might want to check them out.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Just me, your mileage may vary, but I’ve been a guitar player a long time so here goes. Don’t buy a new “beginner” guitar, buy a “previously owned” better quality guitar AND spend some bucks getting it “set up” by a decent luthier. That music store in Bozeman will know of one, just ask them who they use. The luthier will dress/replace frets, lower the action, put on a new nut, etc. and your used guitar will sound great and be much easier to play. Much easier to play means you will be strumming “Ripple” a lot and sounding better every day.

By the way, whenever I pick up my guitar ole Jerry’s “Ripple” usually gets played before I put it back in the case. Such a great melody and lyrics …“And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung”.

Last by the way, it is said that “a gentleman is a man who can play the accordion, but who doesn't."

Good luck with your guitar, and post up what you get.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #12
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Agree with the Yamaha. Whatever you get, you can get a set-up guy to work their magic on it. Guitar center had a guy there that did it when we bought one of the yamaha's. Makes a big difference.
Smokeater is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #13
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Kempner

Long time player as well, if you’re serious about it spend a little extra money on a quality guitar, they are just easier to play and hard to beat the sound
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #14
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Yes, we need to get you away from the accordion before it turns your hair grey.

I, too, have been toying with the idea of learning to play the guitar now that I’m no longer working. Recently, a TBH member posted a guitar for sale in the Classified section that he referred to it as a “parlor guitar” and, never having heard of it before, I did a little research.

It seems that parlor guitars are great guitars for beginners and children. They’re smaller than a regular guitar making them perfect for small hands or hands that are not yet nimble enough to stretch over a larger fretboard. Their strings are supposed to be a little easier for beginners—those whose fingers are not yet calloused—to play as they’re more pliant, as I recall. Best of all, even a new guitar is relatively inexpensive...easily under $200.

Anyway, you might want to check them out.
Bill, permit me to add this post to another future picker:

Lady, I have a suggestion you might consider. Do some research on a good quality ukulele, which are surprisingly affordable. They sound awesome, fit smaller hands and have four “soft” nylon strings. You will be able to do some kinda cool tunes the very day you start playing it. And without the sore fingers a beginning guitar player endures. The picking and strumming and chording “motions” are the same as a guitar requires, so you will be developing muscle memory. Learn to play that uke, and later on a guitar will be much easier for you. Good luck.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #15
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Get a decent guitar that will hold it's value, if you decide it's not for you. YouTube is a great place to start looking for ways and songs to play.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #16
LETRRIP
Four Point

Hunt In: Coryell

I own 35 Acoustic guitars ranging from $4000 on down. I would highly recommend a Epiphone “Masterbilt” acoustic guitar for anyone wanting a reasonably priced solid wood guitar. The two I own sound as good as my higher price guitars. What ever you decide on get a setup done on it and leave it setting out on a guitar stand so it is easily accessible and enjoyable to play.
LETRRIP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #17
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
Bill, permit me to add this post to another future picker:

Lady, I have a suggestion you might consider. Do some research on a good quality ukulele, which are surprisingly affordable. They sound awesome, fit smaller hands and have four “soft” nylon strings. You will be able to do some kinda cool tunes the very day you start playing it. And without the sore fingers a beginning guitar player endures. The picking and strumming and chording “motions” are the same as a guitar requires, so you will be developing muscle memory. Learn to play that uke, and later on a guitar will be much easier for you. Good luck.

Great suggestion and one I had not considered.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #18
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
There are 1 or 2 good threads on here with good advice. When I thought I wanted to learn I was told to not buy the cheapest guitar I could find because they’re harder to play and will frustrate you faster. Think I bought one for about $300. Second piece of advice I got was to not buy an acoustic guitar at all. Learn how to play on an electric guitar. Much easier.

Have to disagree here. Im no professional musician but have been playing off and on for many years now. I picked up an Epiphone acoustic that was easy to play and sounded much better than the standard yamaha entry level guitar. Hell it sounded as good or better than some 300$ guitars. IIRC right it has a lower bridge than some and makes for easier playing and great sounds. If this tickles your fancy then later on you can drop some serious coin on a martin, etc.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...75761455044.gc
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #19
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

I can’t offer advice on which guitar to buy, I stumbled into a Fender Stratocaster cheap, so I bought it on a whim. I am enjoying learning so far.

I do highly recommend subscribing to the JustinGuitar app. The lessons progress at whatever pace you choose, but the thing that helped me the most is that the app has a chord change practice tool. It incorporates the chords into songs you can learn and into the chord change practice as you learn new chords. The app is geared towards getting you to play along with songs, sort of the campfire approach. It’s all chord progression and general strumming. It’s not until Level 8 of 9 that he introduces picking.

I also use the Fender Play app. It takes a similar but a little different approach. As far as getting you in a position to play songs, it provides a little better mix of things to practice, but it isn’t as well developed a practice tool as JustinGuitar. Both are good, but I’d choose JustinGuitar before Fender Play if I was only going to do one.

Neither of these teach music theory, and if you want to learn that side of it, there’s a free website called StudyBass. It’s for bass guitar, but it is awesome for building block understanding of music theory, chord construction, scales, etc. And you can always play the practice bass lines by picking your guitar.

Ok I’ll shut up now, but from one beginner to another, the JustinGuitar app will get you jamming pretty quickly, and you can branch out from there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #20
schmalzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf coast and VA

Don’t feel the need to drop a lot of cash, but try to play as many as you can and get the one that just makes you want to play more. Spending an extra 50-100 bucks can make a big difference if it means getting something you really enjoy.

As others have said, a good set up from a qualified luthier is well worth it.

schmalzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #21
Mojo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Diego and Hondo

Put my daughter in guitar class when she was 10, she's now 17...I started by getting a Taylor Mini GS (500$)...but the teacher recommended getting a nylon string or spanish guitar cause it's way easier on the fingers when learning...so I did...she learned and still jams...also started her with all finger picking to get her hands going with exercising that part of it. Also, she's a lefty, but since she never played, he recommended also, getting her on a right handed guitar...it worked! She's a right handed guitar player now. good luck!
BY THE WAY, my spanish guitar is a Cordoba model and they run 500$ at guitar center, however, check out Sweetwater.com. They have everything and I"ve bought a few from them along with amps etc. Great company to order from.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #22
BGlegal1
Four Point

Hunt In: Liberty County, Polk County

I've been playing for close to (gulp) 60 years. I own around 20 guitars from fancy Martins to an el cheapo I got for Christmas when I was 13. Lot of good advice here, so I'll just pile on. Used or new, go for as much quality as you are comfortable with/can afford. Nothing discourages a new player more than an instrument that is poorly set up and won't stay in tune.
BGlegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #23
Bill
Pope & Young

Classic!

Thanks for inputs!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #24
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Have to disagree here. Im no professional musician but have been playing off and on for many years now. I picked up an Epiphone acoustic that was easy to play and sounded much better than the standard yamaha entry level guitar. Hell it sounded as good or better than some 300$ guitars. IIRC right it has a lower bridge than some and makes for easier playing and great sounds. If this tickles your fancy then later on you can drop some serious coin on a martin, etc.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...75761455044.gc

I won’t argue with you because I sucked trying to play the $300 guitar probably just as much as I would of sucked playing a $100 guitar. I learned a few chords and and could play a little, but dang sure didn’t have the patience or time to get anywhere close to good at it.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #25
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Just my opinion, but if I were just looking at getting into playing a guitar, I wouldn't drop too much coin. You could do pretty good with a budget of $200-$300; if not a little less. That would get you a brand new slightly above entry level Yamaha or similar or it could get a used slightly higher-end one.

Guitar playing takes tons of practice, which equates to not only time, but patience. At least these days, there is all kinds of free materials out on the internet, including tons of You-tube videos out there for learning.

I've owned a few guitars over the last 25 years and have never been very serious. The motivation seems to come and go, at least for me. I couldn't tell you how often my guitar sat in a corner un-touched for months at a time. Then there were other times, I'd be playing almost daily. This goes back to my first comment on not dropping too much coin initially. You might be instantly addicted, or on the flip, you might mess around for a couple weeks, sit it down one day and forget you even bought it.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #26
banzai
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I have tried numerous times over the last 35 years to learn to play guitar, with the most recent attempt going on now being the most successful of all.

OP, since you are a grown man who is fortunate enough to retire, and be an avid hunter and outdoorsman, I assume that you have the funds for a used bow or gun without having to ask anyone for permission. I suggest buying higher quality in a guitar because you will enjoy it more minute for minute, just like a quality firearm or bow.

Spend five or six hundred for good used acoustic or electric of your choice. The important thing since you cannot play well yet, is to find a guitar that you love to hold and feel in your hands for hours. Whenever you are sitting in front of the computer or TV, you should be holding your guitar, touching the strings with chord shapes, and quietly strumming, finger-picking, and walking something like a pentatonic blues scale. The other members of your household will get used to hearing it and your constant plinking will sound better day by day. Do this all day and every day and your fingers will turn to leather fast (no more pain), and your hands will instinctively form chord shapes and strum / finger-pick a variety of patterns without your conscious thought or effort. For me, this is when it gets to be fun, especially with a few cold beverages.

Compared to a nice gun or bow purchase, you can hold and play a guitar almost every waking moment, so get one that you love even if you can't play it yet. You can learn three chords (1, 4, 5) in a week that will sound great when played in sequence, just mindlessly plinking away while you watch TV or read TBH.

Remember, everyone wants to be "that cool guitar guy" so keep a guitar that you love in your hands at all times and you will feel lost without it.
banzai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #27
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I can’t offer advice on which guitar to buy, I stumbled into a Fender Stratocaster cheap, so I bought it on a whim. I am enjoying learning so far.

I do highly recommend subscribing to the JustinGuitar app. The lessons progress at whatever pace you choose, but the thing that helped me the most is that the app has a chord change practice tool. It incorporates the chords into songs you can learn and into the chord change practice as you learn new chords. The app is geared towards getting you to play along with songs, sort of the campfire approach. It’s all chord progression and general strumming. It’s not until Level 8 of 9 that he introduces picking.

I also use the Fender Play app. It takes a similar but a little different approach. As far as getting you in a position to play songs, it provides a little better mix of things to practice, but it isn’t as well developed a practice tool as JustinGuitar. Both are good, but I’d choose JustinGuitar before Fender Play if I was only going to do one.

Neither of these teach music theory, and if you want to learn that side of it, there’s a free website called StudyBass. It’s for bass guitar, but it is awesome for building block understanding of music theory, chord construction, scales, etc. And you can always play the practice bass lines by picking your guitar.

Ok I’ll shut up now, but from one beginner to another, the JustinGuitar app will get you jamming pretty quickly, and you can branch out from there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is great information! As soon as you mentioned the Justin App, my next thought was, “Yeah, but I wonder if there’s an app out there that delves into Music Theory.” And no sooner had I completely my thought...
Old 02-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #28
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

Go to your store and play both acoustic and electric or, have someone play them for you since you don't yet play. I prefer the sweet, sustaining sound of acoustics, but I play chords (no lead licks), plus you don't have to have an amp. I have played Martins, Taylors, Epiphone and others, but my current is a Seagull S6 with pickup. My Seagull cost $400 and I've only found a Martin 35XD to sound better ($3200). If you chose electric, get a good one and a decent amp. They are easier to play and easier on the fingers, but they just aren't for me. And one last suggestion, don't put it in a case. Put it on a guitar stand where you see it daily and play that sucka!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #29
boomer453
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine Parish

i also started as an adult. my suggestion is don't go buy the cheapest guitar you find. you'll get frustrated and be dissappointed with it.
if your going to buy new, go to someplace like the guitar center and tell them what your looking for.
They will play it so you can hear what its capable of. if it's in your budget spend 350-400 and here's the critical part-pay them to do a set up on it. A luthier (a guitar mechanic) will go through it, correct any thing out of whack from the factory and have it all set up ready to go for about $75.

Have fun
boomer453 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #30
Bill
Pope & Young

I’m happy to report as our house is nearing completion our road trips to Bozeman (BozeAngeles as those in counties with more cows than people call it) have changed from 2x per week to every other week. Pretty ride (especially Beartrap canyon) but they wind up being all day trips.

Next week we need to go and I’ll be spending time at the Music Villa downtown.

A friend suggested considering an electric to start- easier to play/ learn on. Plus he points out practicing with headphones works well.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #31
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

A friend suggested considering an electric to start- easier to play/ learn on. Plus he points out practicing with headphones works well.

I would disagree Bill. Since you are just learning, you will be in an acoustic setting much more often. Get a stand and put it in the living room, where it is easy to grab and work on things. No setting up, amp to lug, wires, etc. An electric might be easier on your fingers, but it won't make the chords for you. Think of it like learning to drive on a manual transmission, once you learn, an automatic is a piece of cake.

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #32
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Used seagull would be my pick
I bought a new Seagull S-6 cedar top for about 300.00 many years ago. Everyone I played with loved the sound of that guitar. I had a acoustic pickup installed so I could play through an amp. So I agree with tactical cowboy.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #33
Bill
Pope & Young

I went to the Guitar store in Bozeman today. I had less than 30 minutes, hardly time to make a decision, but a chance to pick up and strum some guitars. They sell Martin, Gibson and Taylor.

What I found was the smaller guitars felt more comfortable to hold. Standard size felt almost clumsy.

The 2 I thought felt the best were a Martin DJR10 and a Taylor GS mini-e. They’re more expensive ($500 and $800) but my budget can expand.

I was reading that the smaller guitars are popular now and have good sound.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #34
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Electric guitars are not easier to play. It's just that most people put really light gauge strings on electric guitars, and most people put medium gauge strings on acoustics. Lighter strings require less tension to be tuned to proper pitch, so that makes them easier to press down against the frets. You can put light strings on an acoustic, and it will play exactly the same as an electric guitar with the same light gauge strings on it.

The trade-off with light strings is that they're also easier to bend, so when you are learning it is easy to bend them when you shouldn't be bending them. That makes the notes go sharp a little, so your chords can sound a bit out of tune if you're not careful. But it's easier to play..... The other trade-off is that lighter strings don't have quite as much volume and tone as heavier strings do. Not a big deal when you're just trying to learn, but once you're able to play it's nice to have a richer tone with heavier strings.

Strings are cheap, and they need to be changed every month or two anyway. So you can start with light strings and eventually start trying different strings in medium/light and then medium gauges later on.

Any of the budget Martin, Taylor, or Gibson guitars will be good quality instruments that can be set up with easy-to-play actions. They will have decent tone. They won't sound like a $5,000 guitar, but they will be plenty good to learn on and enjoy for years. They'll also hold their value better than some of the cheaper guitars will.

Body size has trade-offs too. A bigger body will give you a fuller, richer sound and tone with more bass and more volume. But it comes with more bulk. A smaller body guitar will be more comfortable to hold. It won't have a full of a sound, but they can still have a very nice sound. Just different.

The Taylor Mini-e and the Martin DJR10 are both shorter scale "junior" sized guitars. Not bad to learn on, especially for someone with smaller hands. If you have larger hands, the narrower necks and narrower string spacing can be harder to deal with when you're learning.

I'd recommend you look at something like a Martin 000. They make that body size/style in several different grades of guitar. Here's an entry level version: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...uitar-natural/

It's a full sized neck, so it would fit an average man's hands better. And the body isn't as large or deep as a dreadnaught guitar, so it's more comfortable to hold and play. The 000 is a good compromise between junior sized guitars and big dreadnaughts.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #35
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

I bought a Martin Dreadnought Junior E and had it setup with Martin Lite strings.
If you're willing to spend about $650 it's the best tone out there. Good luck finding one.
Otherwise, there's Taylor and Fender acoustic guitars out there for less than $200. Good stuff fora the price.
A chord chart, Snark tuner, YouTube, a lyric and chord app = your best friends.
Everyone seems to pick their own path in the Learning process. If you can figure out a tune on an accordion, a guitar is a piece of cake.
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #36
Bill
Pope & Young

Um, pah, pah
Um, pah, pah

So, the smaller guitar worked out well for you?

Old 02-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #37
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Wink

Quote:
Um, pah, pah
Um, pah, pah

Indeed! And it's a "couch" guitar which is why they are popular. When I play open mic I grab the Martin D 18.

A left handed friend got a quote for the dreadnaught junior and the delivery was estimated to be March of 2022.

Last edited by Bluesman; 02-27-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #38
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Wink

Quote:
Um, pah, pah
Um, pah, pah

Indeed! And it's a "couch" guitar which is why they are popular. When I play open mic I grab the Martin D 18.

A left handed friend got a quote for the dreadnaught junior and the delivery was estimated to be March of 2022.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #39
Bill
Pope & Young

Is there any advantage to ordering online from a firm like Sweetwater instead of from a local music shop? The price is the same, no tax or shipping.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #40
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Sweetwater rocks.
Zero interest and will take anything back.
That company will bend over backwards to keep customers satisfied.
Huge fan.
Their sales folks are very knowledgable, axes come setup pretty good, intonated and ready to rock.
And why wouldn’t they, as they don’t want you sending it back.

You don’t need to spend a lot, you are not going to sound good at first on anything anyway.

If it’s between guitar center locally or Sweetwater, go Sweetwater.
Good luck and send us pics of what you decide on!
Clark is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #41
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is there any advantage to ordering online from a firm like Sweetwater instead of from a local music shop? The price is the same, no tax or shipping.

If price is the same, I'd order local. Support the local shop, plus they hopefully have someone knowledgeable enough to set up the action on the guitar for you so it will play easily.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #42
Bill
Pope & Young

Thanks- there’s expression here. The area was the 1st Montana gold rush in 1863- lots of Confederate deserters the history books say.

Spend yer gold where ya earned it.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #43
Bill
Pope & Young

I’m leaning towards the Taylor GS mini, electric acoustic in koa. More $ than mahogany but pretty.

I found an article from 2019 that Taylor is building 45,000 of them a year. I had no idea.

I read that George Strait plays a Taylor- what could be better?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #44
Shane
Pope & Young

Taylors are quality guitars. George Strait plays a LOT of different quality guitars.

Wood choice is part looks and part tone. Each kind of wood has a different tonal quality. And the type of wood used for the soundboard (top) comes through, as does the type of wood used for the back and sides of the guitar body. Solid wood will give you more of the wood type's tone than a laminated wood will typically, as well. The koa guitars I've played had more of a brighter, treble-focused tone. Mahogany guitars, to me, have a flatter, more mid-range focused tone - especially if the top is mahogany as well as the body. A mahogany body with a spruce top will usually offer more clarity than an all mahogany guitar. My personal favorite wood combination for a guitar is rosewood body with a spruce top. Rosewood seems to project more volume while giving you more bass and resonant overtones (kinda reverb-ish tone) that makes it sound richer. And the spruce gives you more clarity in the mids and highs. But it's all subjective. Other people's ears like other woods and tones. There's no wrong answer. Just differences.

And some players enjoy the looks more than the minor tonal differences, so they might choose wood based on that. Again, no wrong answers. There's lots of different kinds of beautiful wood.

The GS Mini guitars, like most entry level guitars, are made of laminated back and side woods with solid wood tops. The solid tops help the tone sound better than a cheaper laminated top would sound. And the laminated woods on the body bring the price down without adversely affecting the tone as much as a laminated top would. And laminated body woods make it cheaper. Not a bad middle ground for a quality entry level guitar.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #45
JonBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Doss, TX

I dropped a little extra cash on a Seagull Solid Wood Series (Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood SG). Sounds as good as guitars 4x the price. I'm not great but I pick at it as best I can
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #46
Bill
Pope & Young

Thanks, again

Old 03-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #47
Cullbuck
Six Point

Hunt In: setx

i ended up with a Taylor GS mini for my beginner guitar after alot of research. I like it, i havent played in awhile need to pick it back up.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #48
Bill
Pope & Young

I called the music store in Bozeman, he has both mini-e and mini-e plus in stock. I asked him for the $999 what other options he’d suggest.

He said there’s a nice Gibson with full size body- made at the Gibson factory- in Bozeman. A Montana-made guitar.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #49
Bill
Pope & Young

Gibson is doubling the size of their Bozeman production plant. Hiring 100-200 more people to build ‘em.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...9b490e75b.html

Old 03-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #50
Rango
Four Point

Been playing, teaching some and playing in working bands for the past decade...

Electric is easier, period. The light gage strings and lower action, it's just physics. That said there's a lot more going on... guitar, amp, cables.

GOOD acoustics are fine to learn on but your finger tips will get sore. But that too will pass.
I saw you mention Taylor - They don't let a bad guitar out the door. I tend to steer people to the 314CE. It's that middle ground good enough to play professionally but attainable. But ANY of the Taylors should be fine.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/314ce

For lessons? Youtube is your new best friend. Marty is where I'd start:

Good Luck!
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top