Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 PM   #51
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Generac 32KW natural gas whole home generator. Ive had it nearly 2 years and my wife thinks it's one of the best decisions Ive ever made. Probably second to marrying her, lol.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #52
Chaindiggity
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
Or do like what I’ve seen suggested. Keep an 8k btu window unit a/c for power outages. If the power goes out, slap the window unit into a living room window. Close all other doors in the house and only cool that one area. A 5k generator can run that a/c, some lights, a fan or two, and a fridge.

But if you go this route then you need to store at least a tank or two of gas for it.
I just bought a Champion Dual Fuel portable gen (7850 start / 6250 run) from HD; delivered yesterday, to serve as a backup. Will be ordering a portable AC unit soon (11k, dual hose). Main purpose is to run the AC unit and main fridge during blackouts. Will more than cover those 2 plus a few smaller things as well. Will look into a whole house unit once we move in a year or two, but this will do for now.
Chaindiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #53
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana
Default Tell me about your home energy back up system

We retired in rural Montana. House heated by forced hot air with a buried 1,000 gallon propane tank supplemented by a wood stove.

I went Cummins 9500w (max) portable generator with a 40 pound RV propane tank. I bought clamps and built a holder on the non-exhaust side of the generator, and replaced the 2 rubber bumper feet with swiveling/ lockable casters.

I did not hook it into the house’s propane so it was a self-contained system to roll outside the garage. I did not want 6.6 gallons of gasoline in the garage and then having to drain/ burn it off and refill periodically.

I figured I’d need it in -20 Montana winters. A car hit a power pole today on the highway and 460 homes lost power.

When we wired the house we knew we’d need a sub panel for all the breakers. We put it in the garage and have all ‘mission critical’ branch circuits in it- well, septic tank pump, freezer, kitchen, selected lights. The spec sheet says I should get 22 hours at 25% generator load.

It works. The Cummins generator is loud. Total cost

Generator $1,050 (dual fuel)
Casters $25
Tank clamps and hardware $60
Filled 40# propane tank $120
Connecting cable $100
Incremental cost in new home wiring unknown as it was in his bid.

Total $1,355 plus several hours to put the tank on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2021, 10:27 PM   #54
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
We retired in rural Montana. House heated by forced hot air with a buried 1,000 gallon propane tank supplemented by a wood stove.

I went Cummins 9500w (max) portable generator with a 40 pound RV propane tank. I bought clamps and built a holder on the non-exhaust side of the generator, and replaced the 2 rubber bumper feet with swiveling/ lockable casters.

I did not hook it into the house’s propane so it was a self-contained system to roll outside the garage. I did not want 6.6 gallons of gasoline in the garage and then having to drain/ burn it off and refill periodically.

I figured I’d need it in -20 Montana winters. A car hit a power pole today on the highway and 460 homes lost power.

When we wired the house we knew we’d need a sub panel for all the breakers. We put it in the garage and have all ‘mission critical’ branch circuits in it- well, septic tank pump, freezer, kitchen, selected lights. The spec sheet says I should get 22 hours at 25% generator load.

Casters $25
Connecting cable $100

Great setup but real curious why you didn’t add the option to plumb it to the 1000 gal tank?
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #55
Bill
Pope & Young

Good question.

First I need to roll it out of the garage so not to have a CO issue. I’m really not sure how a flexible line would connect to a propane wall valve.

Second, our plumber said it could be added in the future if needed.

Third, a 40# tank should give us 22 hours. Today we ran it for around 7 hours and used 13# of propane. Very close to what the spec sheet says. I think most outages will be like today.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #56
12ring
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default I'm good!

Picked this up yesterday!

Name:  20210628_230815.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  76.4 KB
Name:  20210624_212200.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  69.7 KB
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 05:46 AM   #57
db@100
Ten Point

Will you post a picture of give the part number of the inlet piece that is mounted on the house?
db@100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #58
Bill
Pope & Young

Here you go.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #59
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Have a friend looking for a stand alone. He is getting quotes that are double what they were 3 years ago and one company is saying late September install. The rest will not give him a date.........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #60
CentralTXHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
Have a friend looking for a stand alone. He is getting quotes that are double what they were 3 years ago and one company is saying late September install. The rest will not give him a date.........

Those charging double are just trying to maximize profit due to the demand. Just like painters, plumbers, etc. They don’t need the work so they’ll only do it for stupid money. Prices have increased some, but nowhere near double. The company giving a date, I would not trust. Every time we order a unit for a customer, Generac or Kohler push the date back. The demand in Texas was huge. We had 80 calls/voicemails before we ever even opened back up the Monday after the winter storm and they kept rolling in ever since. Heck, Generac keeps calling us trying to take customers hours and hours away from us because their local rep is so covered up they aren’t returning calls. I would not be surprised if it’s a full year before some of our customers see their units installed.

CentralTXHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #61
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ring View Post
Picked this up yesterday!

Attachment 1054153
Attachment 1054154
And?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #62
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Casters $25
Connecting cable $100

Nice! This probably won’t effect you but for people in high coastal humidity regions have problems with that small of tank freezing up! I’m reading that it shouldn’t be less than a 100 gallon tank! Again, this probably doesn’t effect you.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #63
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

I thought about a whole home Generac but a couple things changed my mind..
1st it adds zero value to your home and if you move.... you just can’t load it up and take it with you
2nd and most important is the apparent unreliability of them ( it may be very out of the ordinary) but my parents is in the fritz more often than it runs. They test ran theirs once a month last year and had a repairman out 8 of those 12 months

I went with the DuroMax 13,000 HX. I bought an interlock switch and a 50 amp (originally went with a 30 amp but changed my mind) rv plug an mounted it and wired it through the wall to its own breaker in the electrical panel (had my brother the electrician do it actually)

The DuroMax is dual fuel but I purchased a kit that converts it to tri fuel so I can use gasoline, propane or natural gas
I have a 40 gal fuel cell for gasoline
2-100 pound propane tanks and of course my house has natural gas.

It won’t run the ENTIRE house but it will run the vast majority of it and all the important stuff

And OP.... don’t be fooled and look at it as a 100 year freeze event. 1988 was worse and 1989 was as bad as this past February
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #64
ReidJustin
Nubbin' Buck

I don't know anything about it, to be honest. However, I would still like to know more. I've read a few comments about it here and my impression is that this home energy backup system is one of the newer branches of the Energy industry. It is possible that if more citizens started to use this resource, the energy industry would have a slightly different economic performance than we have now. Anyway, I could be wrong, and correct me if I'm wrong about something right now.
ReidJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #65
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Electricity has been out twice since installing, works like a charm.
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #66
db@100
Ten Point

Does anyone know a place near Conroe that works on 30KW Onan generators?
db@100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #67
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Electricity has been out twice since installing, works like a charm.
How long total was your power out the 2 times? I'm not knocking what you have just trying to show that most people without a checkbook can be more manual with a generator and an interlock. Just posting so more people can benefit, not everyone can afford a Cadillac.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #68
Tbar
Ten Point

Here at home we have natural gas. We have lost power several times, most recently during snowmagedon, and ran one HVAC, select lights, internet, tv, cable etc on just one Honda EU2000i. After a few days of no power we ran out to the Farm and got the EU2000 Companion unit and brought it back so we could run two HVAC's and some other things. At the ranch we have a 24kw Generac with auto switch that feeds from a 1000gal propane tank.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top