Porcelain tiles in garge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porcelain tiles in garge

Anyone have porcelain tiles in their garage? About to do epoxy but then read that porcelain tiles can be a good option. I am not real keen on the look of the epoxy floor and the garage is only for wife to park in. All welding and mechanic work gets done in the shop. If anyone has it let me know how you like it.

Seems like a opportunity for broke tiles over time...

Comment

From what I have read they are actually very hard as long as there are no gaps in the thin set. Ceramic tiles are pretty fragile but porcelain is supposed to hold up well. Just worry that ths epoxy will look bad in 5 years.

Comment

I have a friend that did it and it looks great. He used that Schlutter Ditra (however you spell it) underlayment and has been in the house for about 4 years with no problems. There was a special stain resistant grout he used as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          I have a friend that did it and it looks great. He used that Schlutter Ditra (however you spell it) underlayment and has been in the house for about 4 years with no problems. There was a special stain resistant grout he used as well.
          Thank you.....yes epoxy grout is supposed to resist stains. Will have it priced this week....epoxy is pricey and I worry about it over time.

Comment

If the floor is level...no low spots....and as said no hollow spots of thin set...it shoukd be great

Comment

Humidity can make em slick.

Comment

Have done 2 garage floors in porcelain for customers. Underlayment is not necessary, just use a modified thinset and a 3/8 trowel for a solid base. Epoxy grout is the best but will run about $300.00 for materials. Fusion is cheaper but only stain resistant.

Comment

Originally posted by texasrazor View Post
                  Have done 2 garage floors in porcelain for customers. Underlayment is not necessary, just use a modified thinset and a 3/8 trowel for a solid base. Epoxy grout is the best but will run about $300.00 for materials. Fusion is cheaper but only stain resistant.
                  Thank you for your insight....is there any special consideration for the type of tile? Understand they are rated for both hardness and how slippery they are. Everyone's first thought on tile is they are slick but it's the same thing in all our showers and bathroom floors.

Comment

Originally posted by texasrazor View Post
                    Also how did you transition from the driveway to the garage?

Comment

Porcelain tile comes 2 ways, one is veneer the other is whats called full body porcelain, this is the hardest but most expensive. I would suggest a textured surface, tile can be slick
                      but water is not your big worry its oil or antifreeze. If you decide to go the epoxy route I recommend Laticrete brand. I've used all brands but this is all I use now, least problems.

Comment

Stop the tile 1" back from the edge, but be sure that thinset extends past the tile.
                        if your using epoxy grout scrape up thinset after drying and when you grout use a putty knife and make a small ramp like edge across front. this will stop edge chips.
                        regular grout, use thinset to make ramp edge.

Comment

Could you put a floor jack on this without it breaking? We did the vinyl tiles in my friends garage... it looked awesome and no issues with anything in the 7 years he has had the house.

Comment

Read up on the garagejournal.com forum. There are quite a few guys with tiled floors that love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                              Could you put a floor jack on this without it breaking? We did the vinyl tiles in my friends garage... it looked awesome and no issues with anything in the 7 years he has had the house.
                              I’d probably put a rubber stall mat or piece of plywood under the jack but otherwise it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X