Leupold rangefinder disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leupold rangefinder disappointment

I bought a Leupold 1000 tbr DNA a few years ago, probably about 4-5. Toward the end of season last year I noticed the display wasn’t full. I figured low battery. I changed battery out a month or so ago and got same reading. Barely enough to see half the display. I sent it to Leupold and got a response asking to contact them. Called yesterday and guy told me the unit is clearly malfunctioning and out of warranty, only has a two year warranty. Offered a 60% discount on a new unit, which the next comparable would’ve been $240 something. Told him I was going to buy a vortex since their warranty would’ve covered it. He said is there anything else I can do, I’ll get this one sent back to you.

Pretty disappointed as I bought that and used it for LE purposes and no longer with previous agency so it was strictly hunting last year. Anyway, wanted to vent and maybe heed some folks to stay clear of Leupold electronics since their warranty is only two years. A buddy on my PD unit had an old Leupold range finder go out and he sent it in. They replaced it no questions asked it was nearly 5-6 years old then and this was 2 years ago.

They replaced my 1200 no questions asked and It was well over two years old. Wonder if they have changed their policy on electronics.

Comment

Must have I guess. I was/am pretty upset over it.

Comment

I would ask to speak with another representative of the company. My buddy just last week had his 1000 replaced. He only had to pay shipping. It was over 3 years old. Good luck.

Comment

I'm in same boat. But I've gotten my money worth out of the 1000TBR RF. They offered the 1600TBR model for $208 plus tax. It's just a new and improved version with longer ranging capabilities and hopefully better components. I'm going that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
            I would ask to speak with another representative of the company. My buddy just last week had his 1000 replaced. He only had to pay shipping. It was over 3 years old. Good luck.
            Did he get it replaced with same model or upgraded model?

Comment

I’ll give it a shot. I don’t want to buy another only to have same problem in another 3-4 years.

Comment

I had a old range finder I can’t remember which one, but I sent it in to get fixed and they replaced it with a new model no question asked.

Comment

I have the same one going on 4 years now haven’t had an issue yet.. my buddy had a brand new vortex and we were playing with it, it said 32 yards and I called bs, we pulled a tape on it and it was 24.. there was another range finder everyone was going crazy over but I can’t remember the name.. i think it was in the 300+ dollar amount..

Comment

Hard to bash a true American company for stating they have a 2 year warranty on their electronic products, but they still offer you a 60% discount even though the product that malfunctioned is out of warranty.

Comment

Let me mate sure I understand. Unit lasted through warranty, but since you were LE, you think they should accommodate you and warranty unit?

Comment

Atleast you got part right. My rangefinder went out. Just like the guy venting about his trucks transmission going out a month after the five year; I’m venting my disappointment. The reason I mentioned anything about LE was because I used it exclusively for work for the first several years as did my partner. We had different results on warranty and obviously some others have had issues but they were taken care of and mine wasn’t.

Also, leupold website states military and LE warranty supersedes. Which I took as they would take care of it, guess that means military and LE don’t get any warranty?

I was surprised they offered 60% off. Just figured I’d go with vortex since their warranty is great and a little more affordable. I don’t have to re-purchase something, especially if I’m unsatisfied. I hadn’t read anything bad on them until today.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                          Did he get it replaced with same model or upgraded model?
                          Upgraded. His new one is the 1200.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                            Upgraded. His new one is the 1200.
                            ok. I wouldn't have done that cause the LED display is black on the 1200 model instead of the red LED like the 1000 and 1600. Black doesn't work well in dark

Comment

Man was hoping to hear better things about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X