Somerville WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somerville WMA

Just wondering which area in general is better for deer hunting, the Yegua Creek area or the Nails Creek area. If anyone has duck hunted out there as well, what is it like. I am thinking of going out there a few times this year and was wondering what it is like, thanks

Deer hunting can be good on either side, I've been on both. I haven't done a lot of duck hunting out there, but I've heard of a few good potholes on Yegua.

Comment

Nails is good, but last year I had a hard time competing with the land owners next to it putting feeders next to the property lines and hunting. Never could get a fix on the deer. There was a nice buck arrowed on nails though, I hunted Yugua creek mostly and really enjoyed it. Got a nice hog and saw several deer but nothing in range. Ill be out there again this year.

Comment

If you plan on duck hunting Somerville I would recommend packing a breakfast, lunch and dinner. By that I mean get there REAL early. Opening morning there will be 15-20 groups in the Yegua - Nails Creek area by midnight the night before and another 15-20 by legal shooting light. Every weekend will be crowded. It really is pathetic. I used to hunt the lake regularly back in the late 90's into the 00's and it wasn't too bad, but it's so close to Houston and Bryan/College Station that you can't keep the crowds away. As far as the deer & hog's go I don't know as I haven't hunted there yet, but plan on it this season.

Comment

duck hunting is good on somerville if you know where to go. you have to find the areas that call for special permits in order for it to not be crowded. but as far a lot of people on the lake, yes. i used to get there around 330 in the morning just to get my spot.

Comment

Never duck hunted there, but I have deer hunted there seen 3 nice bucks and lots of hogs, just to far

Comment

thanks guys so far it sounds worth scouting out for this years hunting season

Comment

I'm down for some scouting trips. I'm out or a lease this year and anytime in the woods is a bonus

Comment

went there twice last season and its well worth going again this season!!! nails had the best results for me!

Comment

if anyone wants to meet up and do some scouting there, i'd be down! planning on going opening day for a hunt! more than happy to have someone tag along!

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoak20 View Post
                      if anyone wants to meet up and do some scouting there, i'd be down! planning on going opening day for a hunt! more than happy to have someone tag along!
                      pm me if you wanna make a scout trip. i am like 45 minutes fron there

Comment

Originally posted by txnduckhntr View Post
                        pm me if you wanna make a scout trip. i am like 45 minutes fron there

pm sent

Comment

It is gettting to be that time.... I wish it wasnt so dang hot though. I hunted out there last year and loved it. I also plan on making a scouting trip to Sam Houston. Big deer out there if you can play the pressure.

Comment

I was wondering if thier are any 'unwritten rules" That we as bowhunters follow when hunting public land. I plan on going to one of the Somerville units to do some scouting and pick me out a spot early. Is thier something that i can do, or is thier something that you personaly do to very respectfully let someone know that this spot has been "taken" other than of course puttting a stand up, which legaly you cant do.

I lost my hunting Sweet spot after 12 years this past season, and needless to say my hunting season was ruined...I have hunted both nails and Yegu before so I am familar with it, plus the fact that it is bowhunting only makes these places very popular.

I have been out of the loop and i just want to know how you guys deal with the crowds and hunting spots at these two WMA,s. All in all, I know when your hunting public land its first come first serve. I just want to hear from some of the veterns who hunt these two WMA,s.

Comment

Originally posted by ricoace View Post
                              I was wondering if thier are any 'unwritten rules" That we as bowhunters follow when hunting public land. I plan on going to one of the Somerville units to do some scouting and pick me out a spot early. Is thier something that i can do, or is thier something that you personaly do to very respectfully let someone know that this spot has been "taken" other than of course puttting a stand up, which legaly you cant do.

I lost my hunting Sweet spot after 12 years this past season, and needless to say my hunting season was ruined...I have hunted both nails and Yegu before so I am familar with it, plus the fact that it is bowhunting only makes these places very popular.

I have been out of the loop and i just want to know how you guys deal with the crowds and hunting spots at these two WMA,s. All in all, I know when your hunting public land its first come first serve. I just want to hear from some of the veterns who hunt these two WMA,s.
                              I primarily hunt the WMA during the week. I think I saw maybe 3 people all season, I hunted out there about 15 times. I hunted the weekend maybe twice and it was packed. When I set up a spot I really just looked the area over real well and looked for anything that would suggest that it was being hunted. I also made sure I got into the most remote areas as possible, actually walking thirty to fourty minutes to my stand to get away from the crowds. Its public land so there will be the mistaken set up near others but hopefully they have the understanding that mistakes happen. It really is a good place to hunt, I was very suprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X