Riverfront Axis/Fishing Lease Spot Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riverfront Axis/Fishing Lease Spot Opening

Please read the whole post before responding. I have 1 spot out of 4 open on a +/- 180 acre West Kimble County Axis lease with a little over 1 mile of North Llano River frontage. I know that’s a lot of hunters for the acreage but we’re looking at this as more than just a hunting lease, because it is. Having the river adds a lot of perks. Good swimming and fishing. There are a few strange little things that we’re willing to accept for such a cool place but I’d rather there be no surprises to any potential members. We’ve known the landowner for years but this is our 1st year leasing the property. Please see below.

1. Price is $3500. ½ due now and ½ in August. This includes 2 axis bucks, 2 axis doe, turkey, hogs, dove, varmints and any other exotics. They prefer no whitetail to be shot for now because they feel like the axis have displaced most of them and they want to see more. Full disclosure myself and 1 other guy won’t be paying full price. I want to be upfront about this. We are paying some and not making a profit. We locked the place down and I will be dealing with most of the logistics with the landowner. I manage a larger lease nearby and if I knew what I know now about how much work that is I’d have set that place up the same from the start. If that upsets you I understand but its what it is.

2. There is a very nice camp area along a spring fed live creek covered by huge pecan trees. It has electricity, well, septic, grill and a skinning rack. No cabin so you’d have to bring a camper. I’d prefer someone who has a lease nearby (we’re going to put a spot along that creek) but I know that’s a long shot. You’d mostly have the camp to yourself because we have an established camp 20 minutes away. You’d be responsible for most if not all of the electricity bill since we won’t use the camp much if at all.

3. Guests are family (wife and kids) only and if they hunt they shoot off of your tags. The landowners used to allow people to pay $10 a day to come swim and fish but they have pretty much stopped that completely. She still allows a couple of locals and our group from the other lease to come down to swim. We have a good group of guys that like to bring their kids down swimming. The river is the whole Northern border of the place so most of the acreage is unaffected by this activity.

4. We’re going to set up/move 4 spots that will all be community. There are already 4 feeders and 2 decent rifle blinds on the place. The pens need to be rebuilt because they’re small. They will all be set up for bow hunting. Work and cost of maintaining these areas will be split evenly. We’re just going to sling some corn so anything extra like alfalfa will be on you. I’m sure we will all do a little of that.

5. We have a much larger lease nearby that we manage and keep the pressure low. We are going to do this one a little more casual. We will be enjoying the river and the property year-round but won’t be around the spots when people are hunting. I’d expect you to do the same. We also won’t be up there all of the time (one guy lives out of state) and during deer season we’ll be concentrating more efforts on the other lease.

6. The landowner does allow someone to trap axis on the edge of the property. I heard they got about 6 last year. This shouldn’t affect the hunting too much because those axis move up and down the river all the time. We’ve seen 20+ just about every time we’ve gone out there. They will also shoot a couple a year for meat. I know this can be a dealbreaker for some but we can look past it to have year round access to such a cool little property.

I think that about sums it up. If you’re interested in a Hill Country getaway spot that you can slide in to the blind before or after swimming and or fishing shoot me a message. We drink some beer in the river but I don’t want to deal with drunks. I’ve had enough of that in the past. Please don’t PM me if you need to figure out how to come up with the money, need to talk to the wife 1st or want to change anything we’re trying to do with the place. This won’t be 1st come 1st serve. I want a like minded member looking for the same things we are. Please include some things about yourself in a PM if you’re interested.
    Where you live, age, kids or anything else you feel might be important.

Tagged. I'll send a p.m. when I get more time to type it out.

Comment

This should go quick

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Awesome opportunity for someone!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Awesome opportunity for someone!
            Its a cool place for sure.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

One of the swimming holes

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Comment

What logistics are involved with a place that small and two other members? Are there cattle or goats being ran on the property? Is access allowed year round? You mentioned family hunts off your “tags.” You just mean what they kill comes off your 4 deer allotment right? If whitetails are not being hunted then no tags are needed. Are pigs an issue? Is that why pens are needed? I’m interested in it for the river access and a summer getaway

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    What logistics are involved with a place that small and two other members? Are there cattle or goats being ran on the property? Is access allowed year round? You mentioned family hunts off your “tags.” You just mean what they kill comes off your 4 deer allotment right? If whitetails are not being hunted then no tags are needed. Are pigs an issue? Is that why pens are needed? I’m interested in it for the river access and a summer getaway
                    Everyone knows what I mean when I say tags. Including yourself. Yes there are goats on the property.

Comment

[QUOTE=AntlerCollector;16706021]What logistics are involved with a place that small and two other members?

The two 750 mile round trips taken out there and the diesel involved to meet and negotiate with the landowners.

The days taken off of work to take said trips.

The stuff I know (and am willing to do) that I will have to deal with in the future as being the main point of contact.

The money I've already had to front to lock the place down.

Answering rhetorical questions on TBH when I was clear that if that was an issue not to respond.

Comment

Is there a kill log that has to be filled out every time an axis is killed or is it on the honor system? Being that a person does not have to "tag" an axis, how is this kept up with? I would like to think that there are honest folks on here, but we all know that is not the case. I am interested, more so for my dad, who doesnt like to hunt whitetail anymore.

You mentioned other exotics. Are there fallow, blackbuck, aoudad, sika, etc? If the landowner allows "locals" to come swim when they please, how would one know if they are swimming before we were to make the trip to hunt? Do the locals swimming take precedent over the paid hunters? Would the axis trappers trump the paid hunters as well? How would one know that others are on the lease, I guess is my question.

Do you have any pics of axis or other exotics that have been killed in recent months?

Comment

Sounds like a lot of folks using the place, but only 1 guy needed to pay most of the expenses. Good on you for being open and honest about the situation. I'm sure it'll be a good fit for somebody. That's a fun area to spend time in for sure.

Comment

Also, will the 4th person be paying the full $3500 or is the $3500 just for the 1 open spot that is remaining? I only ask because it is not mentioned what the 4th person will be paying. You, 1 other guy, and open spot are all that is mentioned. Or is someone buying 2 spots?

Comment

Sounds like a beautiful place. bet you fill that spot quick even with the "hair" on the landowner and rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X