My New Pond - looking for more ideas and knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Pond - looking for more ideas and knowledge

This is my second pond build and between forums and youtube I think I did it right?

Just finished it yesterday. We added this to our new McKinney land. Approx. 2 acres and hope to grow big bass in it. Several structures from trees, stumps, brush, old wood, pipes, and block. Also some 3' channels. I weighed them down by placing old rod iron fence panels over them with a chunk of concrete on top. I then added pea gravel (not the kind for deer feeders) and then 3 loads of 12" riprap. Deepest part is 25' and avg is 8' - 10'. Its being feed by a small creek. Its designed to to have 1' free board and flow back into the same creek if needed. I have a 50' deep x 36" wide cistern about 70 yards away. Its old and has 10' water it in. I will see how it flows soon. Plan to pump 24/7 if it will to help fill it up and produce. Fingers crossed.

Next phase is vegetation. Should I start growing grass now in the bottom? I assume some will come up voluntarily soon. Any suggestions on plant species I should add? I will be broadcasting seed on the dam very soon. Researching seed for now.

Then stocking the fish phase. Thoughts is to focus on bluegill and fat head minnows for the first year, then add bass and catfish. I read that some guys are stocking only male black bass. Plan is all catch and release on the bass and grow them big. This way I don't have to deal with buck bass and over population. I realize eventually birds will introduce other species and sexs, thus may ruin the idea on one sex.

Appreciate any constructive advice guys,

Sean

Some pics
    Attached Files

Comment

You might look up some BamaBass youtube videos he has just finished a similar 5 acre pond project that looks awesome.

Comment

That lake looks like some of Mike Otto's work. Get some grass seed on that dirt asap to prevent erosion that is coming. I would go rye grass,wheat and bermuda now. Put some erosion mats out in the area you think may wash pretty bad. Your structure looks great and in the right spots.I agree on your stocking plans the first year, second year when you add your predator fish get some tilapia. They help lesson the strain on your fathead minnows. I use Overton fisheries for my fish. Put some Camelot Bell bass in my lake and we are getting fish over 8lbs after 3 yrs. If you want Pm me your phone number and I will attach a video of my tilapia fry with mother guarding them.Your lake looks great.

Comment

Wow man, that's going to be awesome!

Comment

I'll give this one a follow! "Paging Sippy!"

Comment

You have a great pond as is, and you can tell the work already put into it.

I would seed the top of the dam and backside of the dam, and overlay with straw or hay. No need to put grass where water will be.

Might put some vertical structure and alleys for your bait fish. Cedar trees work really well

Own or building a private pond/lake? Want bigger fish? Got Aquatic Plants or moss? Pond Boss magazine, website & forum have answers. We are land and pond management.

Also I'm guessing you will put fathead minnows to start. They lay eggs on the underside of structure. Pallets/cinder blocks/ pvc pipe... or something similar works great for that.
              Last edited by BrianL; 03-09-2023, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Following! Nice job and well thought out. I can only imagine the price tag on that one. I dug a 1.5 acre 14-foot deep in January 22 when fuel prices were much lower and it was north of $20k. I picked good time from a fuel price perspective but bad time from a rain perspective since it was a terrible drought. I've just now got about 8' in it. I'm hoping I can stock it this spring but we'll see if the rain comes or not.

Comment

Let me first say I’m not there and don’t know your watershed nor your spillway, but am I the only one that thinks 1’ of freeboard isn’t enough ? The pond looks great but I would be a helluva lot more comfortable with 3’ of freeboard. No matter how much you compact, dams shrink over time and a week long rain when the ground is wet could make trouble for you.

Or were you referencing 1’ before it flows out the spillway ? I hope so !
                  Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-09-2023, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Let me first say I’m not there and don’t know your watershed nor your spillway, but am I the only one that thinks 1’ of freeboard isn’t enough ? The pond looks great but I would be a helluva lot more comfortable with 3’ of freeboard. No matter how much you compact, dams shrink over time and a week long rain when the ground is wet could make trouble for you.

Or were you referencing 1’ before it flows out the spillway ? I hope so !

Yes, 1' max then goes over check dam at the creek. The check dam is easy to adjust too. So if I need to drop it I can with skid steer. Right now it's maxed out to catch all the creek run off. I will need to shave the check dam down once its close to full. Then adjust as needed. Appreciate the question. Dam is pretty wide as well and super compacted.

Comment

looks good, I would suggest some pea gravel flats for your pan fish to spawn in and maybe some sand plats as well. Other than that, buy as many pan fish as you can afford to feed them. Looks awesome!

Comment

Looks great bud, but where are the duck blinds going?

Comment

Man this some pond ****! I have no idea how to build a great fish tank but that looks awesome. Next crappie get-together on lake spearchunker.

Comment

Cant wait to see filled up

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                              Cant wait to see filled up
                              Me too. Unfortunately we determined it's leaking. Getting 90 tons bentonite delivered Thursday. ****100k hole lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X