CD Jukebox refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir

Sorry it’s been so long without update. Work got busy and I was away at training for a couple weeks.

Have been able to power on jukebox, but wasn’t getting any sound. CD player was turning CDs but nothing outta speakers. I had previously found blown fuses on amplifier, so I started checking numbers on components. Found all outputs transistors were toast, and found a few capacitors no longer storing a charge. So I ordered parts and rebuilt the amplifier last weekend. Installed new output transistors, and replaced all the capacitors on driver boards. Installed amp and both channels worked awesome! Music quality is actually really impressive. The success was short lived though haha. My left channel board blew a fuse on second power up and burned up a 470 ohm resistor. Can’t be anything major though. Just haven’t checked it out yet. Right channel still works great.

Another issued I ran into was the jukebox not initializing CDs. Basically every CD that I place in jukebox has to be scanned, so the jukebox knows what order CDs are in and how many tracks are on each CD. If I placed 10 CDs in, it was maybe able to initialize 2-3, and would give errors on the others. The easiest place to look first was the 30 year old opto laser in CD player. Ordered an ORM Phillips laser and installed. Jukebox now initializes everything, which is an amazing because I was losing my mind with the errors.

Getting close to being done mechanically with this one.

And have another project (actually two now) in the works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

This is pretty cool! I find this more appealing and interesting than a lot of other collectible antique things

Comment

Originally posted by BOWtechnicianTX View Post
          Bill changer would not move and felt locked up. Got it pulled out, and the machine is already paying me back!

Also. I’m on the hunt for some good rock titles for the jukebox. I’ve been shopping around and haven’t had a lot of luck locally finding good titles that are reasonably priced. The machine holds 100 CDs and I can’t swing buying 10-20 Rock CDs at 5-6 dollars a piece. Looking for AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith, LED Zeppelin, Queen, Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc. So if any of you have a bunch sitting around, let me know!

I have lots of CD's from the 80s. I'll bring them into town next week and we can get together. You can pick and choose what you want.

Comment

Awesome project, just like the pinball machine.

How do you know if a capacitor/resistor/transistor/circuit board/battery is bad or not working? Are you an electrician? I am impressed with your skills, I wouldn't have a clue how to take on that project.

Please keep us updated on progress.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
              Awesome project, just like the pinball machine.

How do you know if a capacitor/resistor/transistor/circuit board/battery is bad or not working? Are you an electrician? I am impressed with your skills, I wouldn't have a clue how to take on that project.

Please keep us updated on progress.
              Wouldn’t call myself an electrician, but I’ve worked on enough projects to be dangerous. With items like jukeboxes, pinballs, etc there’s a big batch of common problems that are fairly easily so research. From time to time you will have something unique that drives you crazy and there’s not much assistance online and that requires major trouble shooting. And as far as components go. Most can be checked with a basic multimeter. Capacitors have to be removed from circuit to test. But with old electronics it’s a good rule of thumb to replace caps and transistors right away. It’s cheap, and long run will protect other more expensive components of machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                I have lots of CD's from the 80s. I'll bring them into town next week and we can get together. You can pick and choose what you want.
                That would be great. Thank you!

Comment

Comment

Tried to add a video to post, but it’s just a link. Does it work for anyone?

Got new labels printed tonight and got 41 CDs put in machine and successfully initialized. Only running on one channel right now, but still sounds great!

Comment

Another video attempt
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds great

Comment

Thats awesome

Comment

Oops. I forgot to go through my old CD's but I will!

Would you happen to know where I can score an old record player cheap? My son's GF's 16 year old son is looking for one. He really likes the old cameras and most things from the 60's - 80's.

Comment

Wow... Great job, it looks really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                                Oops. I forgot to go through my old CD's but I will!

Would you happen to know where I can score an old record player cheap? My son's GF's 16 year old son is looking for one. He really likes the old cameras and most things from the 60's - 80's.
                                I’ve seen record players on numerous occasions at Goodwill. Not every time I go in there, but probably have atleast few past through every month. Facebook marketplace is also a great place to find a vintage player.

Comment

Working...
                                X