Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta buy another battery!

Frickin optima blue top

Used 4 times, left me stranded yesterday, in the skeeter jr. Went to Huntsville State Park yesterday afternoon. Wind was blowin, didn’t need the troll motor much til it was time to head back to the ramp. Well, let me tell you, it ain’t fun paddling a 10ft bass raider with a kayak paddle!

Get home, put the battery on charge, shows 5.6 volts. That was expected. Go back an hour later, show 6.7 volts. Ok, cool, its charging. WRONG! Go outside this morning to unplug and go fishing, dadgum charger shows 0.0 volts and an error alarm, BAD BATTERY. P!$$#$ me off!

BUT… I did catch a couple bass! Both about 15 inches. Nuthin special. At least it wasn’t a total loss!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CECFE10E-DE9D-49B2-9C59-7D5D0414BE58.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	25311771

Name:	D7397F8A-DF1C-461C-B11E-A6458F1D9D60.gif
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	25311772

Name:	A620B1E5-A946-4F15-B44A-58C4FDCAAAE8.jpeg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	25311773

Name:	FEEB1DCF-503E-49CC-8659-A32053001D40.gif
Size:	852.7 KB
ID:	25311774

The optima that I sold when I worked for batteries plus in 2000 are not the same optima sold today.

20 years ago those batteries were virtually bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      The optima that I sold when I worked for batteries plus in 2000 are not the same optima sold today.

20 years ago those batteries were virtually bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The one I got is trash! Hopefully academy will exchange it. I’ve only had it for 1 month. I need something before tomorrow!

Looks like I’ll be ordering a lithium battery.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
        The one I got is trash! Hopefully academy will exchange it. I’ve only had it for 1 month. I need something before tomorrow!

Looks like I’ll be ordering a lithium battery.
        Good l7ck with academy. I took a battery back to them and they told me they don't warranty batteries, the manufacturer warranties them. Deal with the manufacturer.

Comment

It’s unfortunate about the battery but suck it up, you are fishing

Comment

Go to Sam's and get a Duracell AGM. Optimas, Interstate, etc. are all own by Johnson, who moved all manufacturing down to Mexico. Since then they don't last like they used to.

Comment

Dakota lithium 100ah.

All the livescopers swear by them.

Comment

You need a charger for the agm batteries if you run them dead or they don't charge right with a regular lead acid/ gel charger

Comment

I had the same issues you are having with my boat got all new batteries then found this out.

Comment

Optima are great batteries, if you don't drain them down. Personally for what you are doing, I would use a common automotive car battery, or boat battery. You can leave a charged Optima on the shelf for a year or two, never charge it, grab it hook it up to something and it's good to go. But if you ever drain one down really low, they are garbage, don't care what trips you try, how you charge them, they will never hold much of a charge ever again. We use a lot of Optimas in race cars, I tell everyone once you have had one drained down really low, hope you still have warranty on it, and take it back, don't waste time trying to charge it. If it does not have warranty, just go get another battery, that one will neve be worth a crap again.

If you use them like a normal automotive battery, where the biggest load on them is starting a car, then they get recharged by the alternator, and there is nothing in the vehicle that is draining the battery, they will last for many years and work great. The first time you leave a dome light on, it drains the battery completely dead, that battery is garbage. I would not use a Optima for a trolling motor, most likely will get damaged, unless, you make it a point, to not let it get drained down very low. Possibly have two, with a volt meter on them. When one gets to 10V, switch to the second battery. Me personally for a trolling motor, I would just use a conventional battery.

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                      https://youtu.be/ieo71HWRSAo

I had the same issues you are having with my boat got all new batteries then found this out.
                      Oopsy!

Comment

I've been thru 2 of the blue top optimas, they don't last any longer than a regular battery. Then again I was charging them with a regular charger.

Comment

I have 2 blue tops hooked together for 24 volts. Never had problems draining them low and recharging them. I try to recharge them ASAP. Had them in my boat 6 years and fish more than the ordinary guy. Probably just jinxed myself heading to chase whites for 2 days...

Comment

Stick with regular lead-acid batteries. Still most reliable technology around.

Comment

Thr optimas of 15 or more yrs ago were super reliable. Blew regular batteries out of the water. They would last 5 or 6 yrs in a vehicle then we would use them on 12v electric fencers for 2 or 3 more yrs after they were replaced in vehicle.

The new ones have been a crapshoot. They are either really really good similar to the old ones or they crap out right away it seems. I have had 2 or 3 warrantied in the last few yrs. One lasted maybe 6 months then went bad. The warranty replacement has been going strong for 4 yrs now i believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X