Sons Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamvo View Post
    Congrats to your son. Make sure you guys really read through his acceptance letter and the deadlines required to get him registered. Particularly the deadlines. I got in to A&M and started celebrating. My mom asked me a month or two later to read the paperwork. She said “hey you only have until tomorrow to send in your (whatever it was)”. Had she not done that I wouldn’t have gotten in. Since you guys haven’t been through this process I figured I’d throw that out there.
    Good point. Yes we already paid a deposit. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
      I'm an Aggie. I recruited from some of the best schools in the country. Taking out all the rivalry and name calling, UT is one of the best schools in the South country, overall. Every school has its strengths and weaknesses though, and I don't know that specific program. That said, it's a great school, period.

As an aside, The state of Texas put into place a "You must take the top 10% GPA high school graduates" to prevent schools from turning away in-state students for out of state or heavily from one school, district, ethnic group, etc. UT was one of the few that said, "Nope". We'll agree to maybe 7% in stem but we aren't taking people just because of top 10. A top 10% at very low achieving school isn't the same as a top 15% at a very high achieving school...

UT has higher SAT requirements than many schools.

They turn away a LOT more students than most in-state schools.

They also thumbed their noses at blanket requirements for AP course grades. UTs required minimums are among or the highest in the sate.

Why? They are among the more elite universities, academically overall, whether people want to admit it or not. Your son will be congratulated just for getting in...
      Thanks! It’s now at top 6%.

Comment

Sons Future

Had a few college buddies that chose this degree. Had big dreams of being a super star agent….now they sell season tickets for minor league teams. Nttawwt. Just an awfully expensive degree for a job that can be done by anyone with a gift for gab and a willingness to hustle.

But you never know. Your son will definitely come out of his shell at any large school and may end up standing next to Arch Manning as he signs his 1st multi million dollar NFL contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by IDFWU; 03-30-2023, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
          Had a few college buddies that chose this degree. Had big dreams of being a super star agent….now they sell season tickets for minor league teams. Nttawwt. Just an awfully expensive degree for a job that can be done by anyone with a gift for gab and a willingness to hustle.

But you never know. Your son will definitely come out of his shell at any large school and may end up standing next to Arch Manning as he signs his 1st multi million dollar NFL contract.

Kinda the feeling I had, initially I thought the same. But others say you have to let them do what make them happy. He has proven he is smart enough to do anything. I guess we will see how it turns out.
          What schools did they go to?

Comment

Most people change their major after they get to college

Comment

I know two young men who got a sports management degree from UT 5-6 years ago. Both are very sharp and hard workers, both got entry level jobs selling season tickets - one with the Astros one with the Dallas Stars. They really thought it would lead to working their way up through the organization or something like working for a sports agent. One now works for American Airlines and the other sells real estate.

Comment

I have known two kids that pursued a Sports Management degree. Both were disappointed with their degree choice when graduation was over & the job hunting began. If SM is really what he wants, maybe a major in business or finance or STEMs with a minor in SM. It is a burden for high school grads to pick a degree because they have not been exposed to the real world. Kids tend to go with what is on their mind at age 18.

Just by dumb luck, I picked Mechanical Engineering at TAMU back in the late 70's because I liked to work on bikes, motorcycles, old trucks & tractors. That degree has made me a good living.

Comment

Odds are, what he enters the university pursuing is not what he graduates with a degree in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                    Kinda the feeling I had, initially I thought the same. But others say you have to let them do what make them happy. He has proven he is smart enough to do anything. I guess we will see how it turns out.
                    What schools did they go to?

They both went to ATM University.

Comment

A. UT has a huge fraternity system. Not liberal
                      B. He may change his mind after taking some classes that relate directly to that major
                      C. It’s a tough industry but everyone has dues to pay when they are starting out
                      D. There are some great hunting and fishing groups around and great shops to meet like minded people at

If he needs anything you’re welcome to reach out

Comment

Congrats on your son getting accepted into t.u.! My nephew graduated from there with a sports mgmt degree a few years ago and applied with every sports team he could think of. Never got an offer and ended up working for his dad at a property mgmt company.

My son's roommate at A&M graduated with a sports mgmt degree...he ended up selling tickets for the Dallas Stars for a couple years and has moved on to real estate as well.

Comment

Congratulations on getting into Texas. Like others have stated it’s an accomplishment on its on. Texas was a great fit for me and it’s truly what starts there changes the world type place.

If he’s interested in sports management there are a lot of jobs in athletics now a days that didn’t exist a few years ago. I suggest getting a student job in the athletic department and start making connections. I have a few so let me know if I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                            A. UT has a huge fraternity system. Not liberal
                            B. He may change his mind after taking some classes that relate directly to that major
                            C. It’s a tough industry but everyone has dues to pay when they are starting out
                            D. There are some great hunting and fishing groups around and great shops to meet like minded people at

If he needs anything you’re welcome to reach out

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              Congrats to your son on getting accepted to such great schools. UT is a great school and he'll get a fine education there. He'll probably end up working for an Aggie someday, but that's not important right now.

Kids often find their groove in college and just because he's not outgoing right now, doesn't mean that will be the case in 4 years. I don't know much about the Sports Management field, but I would start by getting a job with, or even volunteering for the university sports teams. I'd apply for internships with every sports team across the country from women's badminton to men's sumo. I'd get experience, recognition and build a resume. If I struggled with talking to people, I'd take extra communication classes. I'd join organizations that forced me to interact with others. Most importantly, I'd ignore all the liberal rhetoric he's gonna hear at UT.
                              Close the thread.

Comment

Study’s show that roughly 80% of college students change their major at least once.

My son chose Texas Tech as his choice mainly due to costs. His major was going to be dental until walking by the wildlife building and he saw some quail in cages. He called me and said he wanted to pursue a wildlife management degree due to his passion for the outdoors. 4 years later he was a wildlife biologist landing a job with Exxon Mobile working on a 50,000 acre ranch for executives.

Today he is a park ranger making more than his wife who has a PHD in neuroscience working for Stanford University. I recommend he pursue what makes him happy and has a passion for, good things will come if he enjoys what he does.

Personally I believe people get wrapped up in this school or that, a doctor that graduated lowest in their class is still a doctor. Kudos for your son getting accepted to attend TU.

Comment

Working...
                                X