No announcement yet.

Caitlin Clark Iowa Basketball Superstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She has probably done more for women’s sports than any other athlete ever. I care nothing for basketball, men or women’s, but people like me know her name. That’s a major accomplishment, no matter how well she does going forward. I hope she keeps expanding her reach, if for no other reason to spite critics.

Comment

Caitlin Clark and the #Hawkeyes exit as they should, playing in the most watched women’s basketball game in history.

18.7 million viewers, peak of 24 million, according to ESPN PR.

Nearly doubled last year’s record, which had been surpassed twice by an Iowa game this year.

Most watched basketball game, men or women, college or pro, in five years.​

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Exactly my take. I watched all of her tournament games but i have never seen a wnba game and won’t next year either.
        The S Carolina team is an example of what she will be up against every game from now on.

Based on that theory, the talent gap between the two teams will not be nearly as huge in any game as it was in that one. She will have more help.

Comment

She and Reece and others have certainly brought a lot of attention to the women’s game.

Will she make it big time? Will endorsements come her way in addition to a meager WNBA contract?

Who knows?

The idea that she will see more pressure at the pro level hardly means anything as far as guessing the outcome. Middling school sports were much tougher than youth sports. High schools would blow away 8th grade middle school teams and colleges would do the same to high schools. Every professional athlete that came through college in any sport faced a much tougher level of competition than in college yet many somehow became superstars. That has always and will always be true so it’s no different for Clark than anyone else. Did LeBron James face tougher competition in the NBA than he did in high school?

Clark I believe if the most prolific scorer all time in women’s college basketball. All of the “stars” in the WNBA past did not score as much as Clark (against much less competition than in the WNBA) and most probably much less. Somehow they made it… yet for the most part, no one knows their names unless they got arrested in Russia.

Will she be the next Tiger Woods or Larry Bird or on the opposite end, maybe the next Vince Young?

Time will tell but thinking about tougher competition is no different than what every successful pros has faced.

These last couple of years have changed the women’s sports popularity and especially this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
            I'm curious how Clark's game will translate to the pros. Look how average she was against a really good defense yesterday. Every defense is way better than that in the WNBA. And before you come with "she dropped 30", she also took 30 shots, and most of the ones she got after the first quarter were highly contested, off-balance, and too far out.
            Only time will answer that question. I have watched her last 70 or so games over the last two years and a few games her sophomore year. Hey....its what you do here in Iowa. I have seen her do some amazing things. Iowa had 55,000 in attendance at the crossover game in Kinick stadium (Iowa football stadium) on October 15th which was the most attended women's basketball of all time. They have sold out all their home games for the last two years and most of the away games. Clark will be the first pick in the WNBA draft by the Indiana Fever. Their tickets sales have skyrocketed and have gone from an average price of $60.00 to an average price of $144.00. The Fevers' first game against the New York Liberty is sold out and the get in the door price is $481.00. The proximity of Indianapolis to Iowa is going greatly increase the number of Iowa fans to Fever home games. The Las Vegas Sparks have moved their first game with Indiana to a bigger arena because they have already sold out the place where they normally play.

Clark will have the WNBA rookie of the year Aliyah Boston at center. Boston is 6'5" and 220 lbs. Clark has never had a big like that to work with. I think if she averages 15 points a game she will facilitate at least another 15 points with her passing.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1712675083123.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	26763954

Comment

Clark is a superstar and should avoid the WNBA like the plague. That league is nothing but lesbo, anti-Christian, un-American garbage. They hate her already and she's not even in the league yet. White, Straight, and Catholic doesn't fit the mold of the lesbo league. She should give them the middle finger and play another year in college and make millions.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Exactly my take. I watched all of her tournament games but i have never seen a wnba game and won’t next year either.
                The S Carolina team is an example of what she will be up against every game from now on.
                It would not surprise me in the least if S Car could beat most wnba teams. Better coached, better facilities, better just about everything, in college.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                  She has probably done more for women’s sports than any other athlete ever. I care nothing for basketball, men or women’s, but people like me know her name. That’s a major accomplishment, no matter how well she does going forward. I hope she keeps expanding her reach, if for no other reason to spite critics.
                  She can’t touch the Williams sisters, and what they accomplished in the biggest women’s sport there is. Clark will be forgotten in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

She can’t touch the Williams sisters, and what they accomplished in the biggest women’s sport there is. Clark will be forgotten in no time.
                    I said “probably” . Tennis has had very well known women players for years.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post

I said “probably” . Tennis has had very well known women players for years.
                      For sure, it's just a higher profile sport, with more money at stake, plus it's an individual situation.

Comment

I can say I never watched the Venus sisters but I watched Caitlin

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          Clark is a superstar and should avoid the WNBA like the plague. That league is nothing but lesbo, anti-Christian, un-American garbage. They hate her already and she's not even in the league yet. White, Straight, and Catholic doesn't fit the mold of the lesbo league. She should give them the middle finger and play another year in college and make millions.
                          I agree with you, but her childhood dream was to play in the WNBA.

She already has endorsement deals with Nike, Gatorade, State Farm, Buick, Goldman Sachs, HyVee Supermarkets, Bose Corporation, Gainbridge, Xfinity Cable and Internet, Panini America, H&R Block, Shoot Away Corporation, among others. Gainbridge is the naming rights sponsor of the Indiana Fever's home arena.

This is insane.

Look at the green dot in the upper right hand corner of this graph. That green dot dot represents Caitlin Clark's total points scored and total assists for this past season (2023-24) versus every other D1 basketball player in the nation both men and women. 9,718 total players. This graph was completed two days ago after the men's national championship game.

Click on this link for a clearer picture of the graph. I screenshot this picture and it didn't come out to clear.

​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
                          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 04-10-2024, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

That depends on if you are or have become a woman's college basketball fan. I am among the latter along with millions of others because of Caitlin Clark. I have never watched women's tennis and have no desire to do so. I won't watch all WNBA games, but I will be watching the Indiana Fever games.

Comment

Working...
                            X