Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muzzle brake vs. thread protector question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle brake vs. thread protector question...

I can't seem to remember to wear ear protection when I'm hunting. I've left the muzzle brake on my CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC the last couple of hunts and the muzzle blast just rings my ears to no end. I'm thinking about just putting the thread protector on and shooting though it instead.

Has anyone sighted in with the muzzle brake and then switched to the thread protector? If so, was there a shift in POI?

I'm going to resight it in with the thread protector, but was wondering what someone else's rifles did. Thanks

I have with an APR 6.5 Creedmoor. Same POI for me.

Comment

Just bring ear plugs? That's what I do of stand hunting but may not be convenient if not stand hunting.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Errr, hate to hijack, but I have the same question plus this: can you cause any damage by shooting without a thread protector, outside of taking special care not to drop or let any thing touch the threads?

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Errr, hate to hijack, but I have the same question plus this: can you cause any damage by shooting without a thread protector, outside of taking special care not to drop or let any thing touch the threads?
          No damage besides the risk of hitting the bare threads.

Comment

I always wear ear plugs when just shooting. I dont even notice the sound of a shot while hunting, even with a muzzle brake on my APR 280AI

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

ear plugs are cheap and easy to carry in my pocket. I like the brakes too much to take them off.

Comment

My ears have been ringing 24- 7 for the last 14 yrs a lot of the reason is muzzle breaks.
                I don't have a break on anything smaller than a 338 win mag and will remove it to hunt with
                Can someone tell me why a 6.5 needs a brake?

Comment

I'm new to threaded barrels and never shotwith anyone who had one. The first time I shot a break I was shocked at the blast. I bought one of the cans that directs blast forward. Works good for me.

Comment

I wear ear protection at the range, but ear plugs or anything for that matter when in spot and stalk mode or having to take a quick shot out of the mule is a little impractical. I don't ever notice it until AFTER I've shot and then my ears ring like nobodies bidness.

Comment

I don't hunt from a blind, period so ear protection is out of the question. Try a deflector can. You can get one for 20.00.

Comment

blast diverters help. suppressors work great too.

Comment

I don't think that it would make a difference. But I have some walker behind the neck head sets. These things work great. you can turn up ambient sound to hear every squirrel within 100 yards but when you shoot you hear nothing just like plugs. they are also blue tooth so you can listen to what ever you want. I don't know how you shoot with out ear protection.
                          Last edited by eaglegolfj; 01-08-2020, 12:13 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                            I don't know how you shoot with out ear protection.
                            huh?!?

This. I've seen too much hearing damage and the tragic effect it has on loved ones' lives to accept shooting w/out ear pro.

Comment

You WILL damage your hearing if you shoot without ear protection, brake or no brake. Going deaf is not cool, and neither is tinnitus.

Comment

Working...
                              X