Who else isn’t a fan of a .300blk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just can’t seem to get it right with this gun. Shot 6 pigs this weekend, only found 2. Hit them all, could hear the subsonic bullet hit them. One spec of blood from one that I hit 3 times. Tried supers, tried flex tips, tried ballistic tips. Suppressed and non suppressed, the three bigger 200+ pigs ate the bullets up and ran quick with no blood. Ear holed the first two 100 pounders so I know it’s not off sight. Think it’s time to go back to the .308 as it costs about the same to shoot. All shots were 75 yards or less. Had better luck with my .223 than this gun.... Maybe its just me but I’m not feeling it! What about y’all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know anymore than what you've told us, never even seen a .300, but from my experience it's either poor performance by the operator or the gun itself, only tried 2 AR style rifles (not .300) but the best I ever seen from them were 3" groups at 100 yds, that not conducive to the precision you need to be using a lower power load, but you can't really blame the low power performance,to many people out there killing the heck out of pigs with rim fires. You even said the ear holed pigs were drt, you didn't say where the others were believed to be hit.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
      Don't know anymore than what you've told us, never even seen a .300, but from my experience it's either poor performance by the operator or the gun itself, only tried 2 AR style rifles (not .300) but the best I ever seen from them were 3" groups at 100 yds, that not conducive to the precision you need to be using a lower power load, but you can't really blame the low power performance,to many people out there killing the heck out of pigs with rim fires. You even said the ear holed pigs were drt, you didn't say where the others were believed to be hit.

All pigs aimed at in the same spot. Even not ear holing them, the frontal cavity should at least leave some blood. In the bigger pigs, I don’t think the bullets have enough power to make up for off target shots.(Free hand thermal hunting) It May just be me, just wondering if anyone else can’t get along with it.

Comment

I would hope/think starting front to back eyeball to ear to neck, anywhere in there with a. 30 cal should be doin the job..never owned or even shot one though

Comment

I shot a 300 bo for a while, it is good for very close shooting and most of mine was stalking close in the daylight but shooting a running hog at any distance was not going to get a recovery most of the time. I hit many hogs multiple times and never found them. It just isn't a great round for hogs. I went back to a 6.8, just change uppers and mags and have a great hog killing machine w/o the kick of a 308.

Comment

Subsonics are not for hunting. Some will argue but they are wrong. I load 110gr Vmax and shoot an 8.3” AR. It has dropped every pig, deer and coyote I’ve shot. I’ve shot pigs in head, neck, behind the shoulder, in the guts running and all dropped quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What distance are you shooting at? Especially with subs that makes a huge difference. I’ve shot a dozen pigs and a mix of 110 vmax or 220 subs and never had one go more than 30yards. But I keep my shots under 100yards

*sorry just read your shots were under 75...

Comment

I have .300 BO and ended up building up a .556 for the pigs. The energy numbers for .300 BO don't match the 30-30. At least with .556 I have velocity to play with. Every hog I hit with the BO except cranial cavity shots required a follow up.

Comment

I gave up on subs for hogs. Hit a couple , heard the bullet hit. Even knocked one down and couldn't find blood after it got up and ran off.

Finally changed up and went to supers, 110 gr. Barnes Tac TX. Dropped 2 in their tracks and the third didn't go far at all. IMO, subs just are not enough energy for hogs, unless you head shot or neck shot.

I did shoot a spike last year and dropped it in it's tracks. But still not sure if I will go back to subs for deer.

Comment

I’ve always heard good things about the 300bo on pigs

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      I have .300 BO and ended up building up a .556 for the pigs. The energy numbers for .300 BO don't match the 30-30. At least with .556 I have velocity to play with. Every hog I hit with the BO except cranial cavity shots required a follow up.

My .223 seems to destroy them at the same ranges the .300bo has been shooting. Just frustrating when you have that many opportunities and only able to confirm 2 kills.

Comment

Barnes 110 tac tx is all i shoot out of mine for hogs. I wont shoot subs on anything other than coons. I may try some 110 vmax as well but ill start on coyotes with those until I know how well i ike their performance.

Comment

Subs suck for hunting unless it’s a big bore cartridge. Don’t know what supersonic bullets you’ve tried but I’ve killed a truckload of animals with the 110 Barnes TAC TX. 100% pass throughs and 95% DRT.

I shot this coyote at about 150 yards and it ripped him apart. Traveled stem to stern and kept going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Mike D; 10-13-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I'm not a fan either. I have shot deer with the BO and they have ran far enough for me to think there is just not enough shock to put an animal down. If you hit in the head or spine any size bullet will put them down. Seems like there are a lot better options in the AR platform especially marginal or night hunting. 6.8 SPc or 6.5 Grendel seem to have better results

Comment

Not a fan. If is was forced to shoot one the only bullet weight I’d shoot is the 110s. Much better options out there imo.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X