Which caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which caliber?

So I have an Armsight Vampire 3X that I want to play with this winter on pigs. I have ar's in 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, 300, and 308. What have yall used for shooting piggies that your happy with while under the stars. Also this gun will not be canned. Trying to hold out on being able to get one without the paperwork. Thanks

I used to use 5.56.
    Got tired of tracking them.

Switched to .308 and head shots.
    I like it.

The AR10 is heavy tho

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
      I used to use 5.56.
      Got tired of tracking them.

Switched to .308 and head shots.
      I like it.

The AR10 is heavy tho

If you gonna head shoot them a .22 cal is fine

.308 for anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a largawon

Comment

ive heard the 7.62x39 is the way to go, ammo is cheap and you have the 30 cal knock down

Comment

My 6.8s have always done what I needed, head, neck, or shoulder. This one was 270 lb. One shot to the shoulder and an insurance shot.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd use the 6.8 or get a 6.5 grendel. I'd prefer a .308 but don't want to pack one around due to the weight.

Comment

Grendel is mean to hogs I love mine.

Comment

I put together a couple 224 Valkyrie's and haven't shot my 6.8 since. I have shot over 30 hogs in the last month and half or so, most of them on the move so recovery hasn't been 100% because I have been hunting high weeds and I don't go look for them anymore. It is fast and the 90 grain Fusions are a decent round to take them out. Used it last year on an Axis buck and dropped him in his tracks and my wife shot 2 deer last year as well. It is a fun gun with no kick and plenty of kill in it. I am surprised it isn't more popular by now.

Comment

I shoot 7.62 x 39 on my 2 thermal rifles. We shoot a lot so the cheap Ammo really helps out. Had good luck with tulammo 124gr SP’s at about .25cents a round. I walk around with the gun a lot so I went with the much lighter Ar-15 platform

If you’re not going to be doing a lot of shooting or stalking with the gun, 308 is definitely the best way to go though

Comment

I'm leaning toward the 6.8 or 7.62 because of the lighter weight gun for sure. I guess now accuracy is my biggest deal. But really it will be limited to 100 yards or so with the night vision so either would be fine.

Comment

My thermal is on a 7.62x39 side charger AR. Side charger is much better at clearance on the thermal. I use the Tula 154 gr. SP. At ten bucks for 40 rounds, I haven't found anything better for the price. I prefer it over the Grendel. I just got a 350 legend put together, I will give that a whirl after I make sure that it runs ok.

Comment

If I was to buy a new night vision pig hunting rig it'd be a 20" bolt action .308 with a DT suppressor and a fat bolt knob. I eat them though, they aren't varmints to me. For varmints, a semi in 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 shooting cheap ammo makes a lot of sense.

Comment

I’d use the 6.8 out of the list you provided, but overall I’m partial to my Grendel’s. I used to have a lot of hogs that would run after a good shot with 5.56 and 300 BO SBR’s. Now, I’m about 90% recovery on pigs (even with questionable hits) and I shoot around 15 or so a month on some properties I have access to. I run a pair of 12.5” SBR’s suppressed and they do some damage, even at distance. My furthest hog kill (during the day with day scope) is 381 yds and 210 yds on a 175 lb buck. The Hornady Black 123 gr pills are doing around 2315 fps. Not trying to brag, but do search for my username and you’ll see a lot of big pigs I’ve dropped with the Grendel.

Comment

i like the 458 socom,,, big holes= big blood trails!,, of course the blood trails tend to be very short ....... i do not have to give much thought to shot angle, because with a 300 gr hp penetration is more than enough

Comment

Working...
                              X