No announcement yet.

What caliber for AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just built an AR in 350 legend and so far I have been very impressed. I’ve hammered a few pigs with it out to 100 yards and they have all been DRT.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
      Probably built a gun with a bear creek or similar crap barrel and was mad when he didn't get micro MOA results.
      I've owned ARPerformance and LaRue barreled ARs among others, in all the fad cartridges (although not the .45+ thumpers). I've come to realize... there are different definitions of "accurate".

While I'm piling on: they're heavier, hard on brass, and much louder suppressed (because of the action cycling).

If you have a field full of pigs you need to clear right away? Accept no substitute for a semi-auto AR/AK. If you're taking a careful shot at a game animal? I prefer an APR-class bolt action.

/pot stirred

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        I've owned ARPerformance and LaRue barreled ARs among others, in all the fad cartridges (although not the .45+ thumpers). I've come to realize... there are different definitions of "accurate".

While I'm piling on: they're heavier, hard on brass, and much louder suppressed (because of the action cycling).
        Totally agree on the "accuracy" comment, as it's all relative. Larue barrels aren't actually known for being all that accurate btw.

Heavier than a synthetic stocked rack grade sporter? Probably.
        Heavier than a nice walnut stocked bolt gun with a bull barrel? Maybe not.

No arguing they're harder on brass and louder.
        But if you don't re-load and shoot suppressed (which is where the overwhelming majority of shooters fall) does it matter? Probably not.

Are they much easier to configure to fit ergonomically with their modularity and also reduce felt recoil due to their buffer system and standard threaded barrels to accept brakes? Probably.

Point is that both the AR & bolt guns both have their strengths and weaknesses and once doesn't seem "better" than the other.

The AR does have the ability to **** off a liberal though so theres that.

OP, you could just re-barrel the upper with a quality .224 Valkyrie bbl.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
          Totally agree on the "accuracy" comment, as it's all relative. Larue barrels aren't actually known for being all that accurate btw.

Heavier than a synthetic stocked rack grade sporter? Probably.
          Heavier than a nice walnut stocked bolt gun with a bull barrel? Maybe not.

No arguing they're harder on brass and louder.
          But if you don't re-load and shoot suppressed (which is where the overwhelming majority of shooters fall) does it matter? Probably not.

Are they much easier to configure to fit ergonomically with their modularity and also reduce felt recoil due to their buffer system and standard threaded barrels to accept brakes? Probably.

Point is that both the AR & bolt guns both have their strengths and weaknesses and once doesn't seem "better" than the other.

The AR does have the ability to **** off a liberal though so theres that.

OP, you could just re-barrel the upper with a quality .224 Valkyrie bbl.
          Agreed on all your points.

Comment

Working...
          X