No announcement yet.

Church Security POI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“The regulations of the Private Security Act, including the fees required thereunder, do not apply to Texas churches when providing volunteer security services consistent with the requirements of section 1702.333 of the Occupations Code,”
    ~Attorney General Paxton

Sec. 1702.333. PLACE OF RELIGIOUS WORSHIP; CERTAIN VOLUNTEERS.
    [...]
    (b) This chapter does not apply to a person who is providing volunteer security services on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      “The regulations of the Private Security Act, including the fees required thereunder, do not apply to Texas churches when providing volunteer security services consistent with the requirements of section 1702.333 of the Occupations Code,”
      ~Attorney General Paxton

Sec. 1702.333. PLACE OF RELIGIOUS WORSHIP; CERTAIN VOLUNTEERS.
      [...]
      (b) This chapter does not apply to a person who is providing volunteer security services on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
      Very nice to hear that!!! But you left off this.

(c) While providing volunteer security services under Subsection (b), a person may not wear a uniform or badge that:
      (1) contains the word “security”; or
      (2) gives the person the appearance of being a peace officer, personal protection officer, or security officer.

With the additional use of the term "Personal Protection Officer" could cause some issues, PPO's are plain clothes/concealed carry by regulation.
      Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Had a guy tell me a story like that for his church's training with a police department in louisiana. They ran through a practice drill (paint bullets) where shooting would occur at random. They were to profile everyone, but remember the job is to asses the situation once guns come out.

Well there was a guy dressed oddly like you stated, and my friend had an eye on him. While the odd guy did not shoot first, he went to the hip immediately and my friend "shot" him. They debrief and inform him he shot the off duty officer.
        Point of that aspect in the exercise is you really need to assess the immediate situation. Definitely profile and have assumptions, but situational awareness comes first.
        One of my bigger fears at church is being shot by an old man who doesnt know me at church in a high stress situation lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
          Had a guy tell me a story like that for his church's training with a police department in louisiana. They ran through a practice drill (paint bullets) where shooting would occur at random. They were to profile everyone, but remember the job is to asses the situation once guns come out.

Well there was a guy dressed oddly like you stated, and my friend had an eye on him. While the odd guy did not shoot first, he went to the hip immediately and my friend "shot" him. They debrief and inform him he shot the off duty officer.
          Point of that aspect in the exercise is you really need to assess the immediate situation. Definitely profile and have assumptions, but situational awareness comes first.
          One of my bigger fears at church is being shot by an old man who doesnt know me at church in a high stress situation lol.

This^^^^^

Comment

As a pastor, I appreciate all those who take this issue seriously. I've been a hunter and around weapons all my life with LEOs and First Responders in my family. I don't find it necessary or practical to carry on Sunday, because I have many like you who in the church body. However, several years back 2 pastors were killed in our area by benevolence cases in the middle of the week. In one instance, the elderly secretary was beaten and left for dead. It was then that I made the decision to carry regularly during the week. If not for myself, I feel responsible for the flock placed under my care.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
              Very nice to hear that!!! But you left off this.

(c) While providing volunteer security services under Subsection (b), a person may not wear a uniform or badge that:
              (1) contains the word “security”; or
              (2) gives the person the appearance of being a peace officer, personal protection officer, or security officer.

With the additional use of the term "Personal Protection Officer" could cause some issues, PPO's are plain clothes/concealed carry by regulation.
              Good call, thanks.
              I think "wear a uniform or badge" is the operative phrase here.

Comment

I've been carrying to ourbChurch since I got my CHL. That is one of the main reasons in got it a few years ago.

Couple of years ago someone made public threat against our Church and Pastor. Several of us told turns walking around the church before during and after Worship. The person who made the threats had since passed and I've become an unofficial official greeter at our Church. I carry every Sunday. Would carry on Wednesday but the boss friend on us carrying at work. Plus it's not practical with my job.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

OP I rest your thread your and was confused.
                  In thought POI was for Point Of Impact not Person of Interest.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                    OP I rest your thread your and was confused.
                    In thought POI was for Point Of Impact not Person of Interest.

Whoops!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Whoops!
                      [emoji4][emoji1303]

Comment

must be a large church not to recognize a guy that had been there 3-4 times already

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                          must be a large church not to recognize a guy that had been there 3-4 times already
                          Four services and rotating volunteers

Comment

My question is why did this officer show up and appear as he did. Dressed strangely and acting suspicious? Surely he knew better to present himself that way?

Comment

We are having revival at our church all week. We had a small incident last night will a guy acting very strange and ZERO concern about the service going on. I’m the leader of our safety team, and the guys did a great job. Not too much in his face, but made a presence. I don’t wanna give too many details because these are the people that we need to reach out to, and I don’t want this to somehow get back to him and keep him away. I just want everybody to act right. My hats off to you folks willing to step up and protect the sheep....we are sheepdogs. God Bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My biggest concern has been a good guy reaching for his concealed weapon and gets mistaken for a bad guy and is taken out. Never know who is over the top and has the itchy trigger finger.

Comment

Working...
                                X