Pond Fish Stocking- Fair Prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these fair prices for stocking a pond with fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've never seen package pricing like that but it seems fair for what you are getting. Any idea what strain of LMB they provide? In for replies.

Comment

Wow. Might be time to take the wife and kids down to the creek with some cane poles and worms Ricky. That’s how I stocked mine years ago.

Comment

Yes

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Look up Dunn’s they will deliver to a feed store near you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Wow. Might be time to take the wife and kids down to the creek with some cane poles and worms Ricky. That’s how I stocked mine years ago.

That’s not a bad idea either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just looked at my past invoices. For the exact same numbers as Option #1 on your quote, using my unit prices, I would have paid $870 for the same amount of fish. However, I had much greater numbers in my complete order. I had 15,000 bluegill alone so I'm sure the unit price is cheaper the more you buy.

My 2020/2021 unit prices:

LMB- $2/ea
              Bluegill- $0.40/ea
              Sunfish-$0.50/ea
              Fatheads- $15/lb
              Shiners-$15/lb

What's hilarious is that I spent more than double on bluegill than I spent on the bass. I ain't trying to produce a "trophy bluegill lake".

Comment

If you live near a river or creek it will probably stock itself.

Comment

Don't make sense to stock everything at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    That would be correct.

Comment

Not sure but I think I paid $11,000 for 6,000 hybrid catfish and bunch of dang minnows, got them from Halletsville

Comment

15k bluegill.....sounds like a fun afternoon!

Comment

if this is a new pond or a pond with no fish in it yet then I would not put your bass in yet. Put your BG etc. in and let them get established first - then follow up with the bass

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Yep......establish your forage fish and bluegills first.
                            And don't let anyone talk you into putting Crappie in it.

Comment

FWIW, I stock Tilapia every year to add to the food chain for my Bass(every year because they die off in the winter) Because I have such high predator numbers(also crappie) I have to stock 3x the normal numbers of Tilapia to get them to maturity so they can reproduce(every 30 days). I stock them to take the pressure off my Coppernose Bluegill.

In your case, you are starting with a clean slate that will take fewer numbers of bait fish to get started. Ie - minnows, bluegill, Redear.

I added Redear....it might be too early for them. They are shell crackers that interrupt the life cycle of a parasite that attacks your bass. Upside, fewer numbers are required to get them started. The downside, not enough food to sustain them at this point and they are expensive.

Personally, I don't like this package deal. You need to get your bait fish population established before introducing predators like bass and catfish.

This is the company I have been buying from out of Buffalo Tx.

Overton Fisheries Stocks Texas Lakes & Ponds with forage fish like coppernose bluegill, redear sunfish, mozambique tilapia, threadfin shad, gizzard shad, golden shiners, fathead minnows. Texas Fish Farm, Texas Fish Hatchery, Fish Stocking in Texas

***On Edit: Sorry, I made an assumption this was a newly dug pond. Disregard the above if not the case.

Also see: Pond Boss Forum for more information.
                              Last edited by Tbar; 09-18-2022, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X